"Strange" foam/bubbles on top of beer in bottle

Starsan should do the job with Lacto
what process are you using ? Lacto is found on grain , do you have open bags of grain near your fermentation chamber ?

No, I didn't.
The beer tasted fine when I checked gravity a week into ferment and even better at bottling.
Process for bottling or cleaning in general?

Bottle cleaning mostly , if the whole batch was infected with Lacto you would have seen the floating pellicles .
even open bottles in same room as open grain bags can infect the bottles
I use the Grolsch swingtops and love them , after sanitation i can seal them back up until needed i just spray them before a bottling session .

This is simply an assumption it's infected bottles and not a improperly mixed priming solution , time will tell if they have a sour flavour or are just overcarbed

Bottle cleaning mostly , if the whole batch was infected with Lacto you would have seen the floating pellicles .
even open bottles in same room as open grain bags can infect the bottles
I use the Grolsch swingtops and love them , after sanitation i can seal them back up until needed i just spray them before a bottling session .

This is simply an assumption it's infected bottles and not a improperly mixed priming solution , time will tell if they have a sour flavour or are just overcarbed

I used a bottle washing powder and bottle brush the day before and scrubbed the crap out of them and then sat then in StarSan over night til about 15 minutes before bottling. Nah the bottles were never near the grain.

I just opened one.
Room temp.
Gushed quite a bit but as I have read that is normal when its not fully carbed and room temp?
Beer tasted good

Second that! It's promising for you then swish. I hate bottleing now I find my kegged beer turns out way different than my bottled beer and that's beer out of same batch I'm hoping its oxidation but I know some of it is sanitary down fall. I only bottle probably 3 tallies out of a batch so not much enfisis is put on good sanitary practice with these heck I've even bottle primed dextrose straight from the scoop into my bottles without any sanitisation:oops:. Yea I don't know what I'd do if I had to go back to bottleing :eek:.

thanks for the grammatical fix there Mark. Please forgive me i was educated till grade 10 :D and English as we all know was not my strongest subject .

I just opened one.
Room temp.
Gushed quite a bit but as I have read that is normal when its not fully carbed and room temp?
Beer tasted good

Properly carbed beer will foam over the top a little sometimes, but if it's geyser-ing at all, it's probably a little over carbed. Since it tasted good, you're probably on the right track with the priming mix. You'll know soon enough. Some may blow the bottles and some may be a little flat.
I've over carbed batches just because I was sure they were finished and they weren't...and tried bottle after bottle to get one that didn't gusher most of the beer out. Even at near freezing temps they'd still act like Diet Coke and Mentos. :mad:

Hey everyone,

Hope people don't mind me posting in this, I just thought I would let you know that the beer turned out great.
No gushers, no sourness only minor off flavours, if any, which I am very happy with seeing as it's the first batch on a new system.

Down to the last few bottles and only 1 was under carbonated, none over.

Thanks for all the advice.
16466467_10154030823401734_2114488770_o.jpg

Sláinte

Hey everyone,

Hope people don't mind me posting in this, I just thought I would let you know that the beer turned out great.
No gushers, no sourness only minor off flavours, if any, which I am very happy with seeing as it's the first batch on a new system.

Down to the last few bottles and only 1 was under carbonated, none over.

Thanks for all the advice.View attachment 1243

Sláinte
Time to get another one bubbling away there swish:)

Awesome!!!!
Glad it worked out.

Back