Bad beer combinations

Cgdavis

Trial Member
Reaction score
So I was at a wing joint the other day and got a Highlands Oatmeal Porter which is a great beer, but I didn't realize that eating it with hot wings was a horrible idea! The combination tasted terrible!

Anybody else have a similar experience?

Yeah I'd say lagers or at least lower malty beers with wings. IPA's for sure! That's a pretty odd beer for a wing place aint it?

Disagree ...Guinness and vanilla bean ice cream makes a tasty float :p
Tasty float of tasty bloat ha ha! Yep you got me Welshy I don't mind me a Guinness too will have to brew a tried clone one day good thing is amazingly enough my local up the road home brew store has imported some grain from Ireland here is the maltster check em out they do a pale malt and dark malt well that's what local stocks.
  • Loughran Malts

Spicy foods have to be tough to match... do you go with something strong flavored that can compete, or just something really refreshing to help the tongue cope with the peppers?

What does go with wings? Maybe a Bavarian Pils?

Spicy foods have to be tough to match... do you go with something strong flavored that can compete, or just something really refreshing to help the tongue cope with the peppers?

I would pick a very hoppy IPA but that's me. A good Pils would work but not a malty beer
Now spicy sausage would take a good malty, possibly german beer:D.

A nice American ale would be nice too. Or a blue moon type. Fruity would probably go well with the spice.

I don't drink Blue Moon. They use twist-offs, so I can't reuse the bottles :eek:

Sweet beer works well, the stronger, the better.

Na I bottle twist off style bottles no dramas with carbonation and degassing leaks or anything just my experience with em!

Na I bottle twist off style bottles no dramas with carbonation and degassing leaks or anything just my experience with em!

You use bottles in Australia? I thought you just poured it down a dead roo's gullet and tied up the neck! :p

So you put regular bottle caps on the twist off bottles?
Yep! No problems here so far. When I first started brewing I thought twist tops were no good but yea they work. Hay if you don't believe me and that's if you do have a twist top bottle lying round cap some beer in that one wait two weeks and do a fizz test I can honestly say you'll be pleased.

When capping turn the bottle 180 then do a second press just to make sure:) let me know how ya go!

Yep! No problems here so far. When I first started brewing I thought twist tops were no good but yea they work. Hay if you don't believe me and that's if you do have a twist top bottle lying round cap some beer in that one wait two weeks and do a fizz test I can honestly say you'll be pleased.

When capping turn the bottle 180 then do a second press just to make sure:) let me know how ya go!
I'll give it a go. Never even considered it to be honest with you.

I'll give it a go. Never even considered it to be honest with you.
You learn as you go aye? That's what I've really loved about being apart of this forum just the tips and hints you can glean what you want and what suits your style of brewing.

There is always more then one way to skin a cat and more than one way to brew a beer:p!

I tried it years ago, and the problem I ran into was that the little threads around the top, which can chip and leave little bits of glass in the beer. I had one crack and two where buddies were getting glass grit in their mouths so I shitcanned all the twist offs. I suppose if you are really careful and inspect them all really well it would be OK. Just don't like taking the chance myself...

Back