Bad beer combinations

I tried it years ago, and the problem I ran into was that the little threads around the top, which can chip and leave little bits of glass in the beer. I had one crack and two where buddies were getting glass grit in their mouths so I shitcanned all the twist offs. I suppose if you are really careful and inspect them all really well it would be OK. Just don't like taking the chance myself...
Hmmm I didn't consider that. May just leave it the way it is. If its not broke don't fix it right?

I accidentally capped a bunch of twist offs some leaked some didn't. Not worth the risk for me I have plenty of pry tops.

Each to their own I say! What works for you works :p I don't bottle no more ha ha

I bottle off the keg all the time. I have 8 kegs but I often run out of room. Bottles are great to take with you and I try to bottle my porters for ageing

I bottle off the keg all the time. I have 8 kegs but I often run out of room. Bottles are great to take with you and I try to bottle my porters for ageing
Haven't kegged anything yet. No equipment for it. I have a plastic 5 Gallo keg I've considered using but wouldn't know where to start. Also I don't have a place to keep it cold

Haven't kegged anything yet. No equipment for it. I have a plastic 5 Gallo keg I've considered using but wouldn't know where to start. Also I don't have a place to keep it cold[/QUOTE what I like about bottling from the keg is you eliminate the bottle sediment. You could try bottle conditioning in that keg you have and then bottle off it.

once you get all the parts for kegging, you'll never go back to bottling, it makes you work harder at some points but also makes you lazy at others

Swing tops !! No capping and admit it ....they look cool .
Have heard of them taking 4 volumes of CO2 but doubt I'll ever feel the need for more than 3 .
I do have some of the dinky tap a draft mini kegs for parties or places I can't take glass

Anyone use intertap growler filler attachment I've been a musing over this weather it's worth the frieght.

there is a hose attachment that fits into the tap, essentially it's like a bottling wand for a growler. it's pretty cheap, like $8 at the LHBS. probably much cheaper online

How do you bottle from the keg? This totally got off topic but I haven't heard of that before.
Quite simple. Lower the pressure in the keg to about 5 psi. Get a picnic tap and stick a bottle wand with the tip cut off into the end of it. And just fill your bottles and cap like normal. You can stick the wand though a stopper to make a counter flow also. Make sure you fill from the bottom of the bottle. When I get home I'll see if I can get a video up

Quite simple. Lower the pressure in the keg to about 5 psi. Get a picnic tap and stick a bottle wand with the tip cut off into the end of it. And just fill your bottles and cap like normal. You can stick the wand though a stopper to make a counter flow also. Make sure you fill from the bottom of the bottle. When I get home I'll see if I can get a video up
That sounds much easier then waiting for bottles to carb. How long does it usually take it carb beer in the keg?

that depends on the beer temperature, psi you set it at, and if you just leave the keg or rock it back and forth a bit.
generally, i'd say about a week or so (that doesn't mean it's conditioned, just that it's carbed)

correct and the psi, I carb mine at 20psi for 5 days, 15psi for 7 and so on, you can force carb in 1 day but I don't like it because its like shaking up a keg, gets cloudy

correct and the psi, I carb mine at 20psi for 5 days, 15psi for 7 and so on, you can force carb in 1 day but I don't like it because its like shaking up a keg, gets cloudy

I keg mine at 30 for 2days and then down to 10 or so for serving. I never knew that could lead to cloudiness and figured it was from all the hops typically in my IPA's. Cool! I learned something today!

Add- I'm going to try OMB's method on my next non-IPA and see how it does. I like to do it my way so I can enjoy the IPA as fresh as possible but they always cloudy. Doesn't bother me but I appreciate a crystal clear beer too.

Back