Thurston Brewer

Trial Member
Reaction score
I gather from what I've read that a refractometer is essentially a replacement for a hydrometer, right? Just an alternate method of measuring specific gravity?

What would be the benefits/downsides of going refracto vs. a hydro (other than the obviously higher cost of the former)?

I only use mine for preboil gravity, its not as accurate for final post fermentation

Yeah, it's much easier for sampling wort.
Once the alcohol is there, it gets a bit tricky. But I think there's a spreadsheet here to calibrate the refractometer for post fermentation readings

Yup. Refractometers were not designed to test alcoholic beverages. I have one that measures in Plato only. I thought it'd be cool to use. I haven't used it in months.

Refractometers are great on brew day, lousy any other time in the process. I use mine for measurements when brewing then rely on the good old fashioned floating hydrometer for the rest.

Thanks for the perspectives! I personally can't see why I would spend the money on a refracto if it is only useful pre-fermentation. I can use my old-fashioned hydro anytime...

It is nice to only need a drop or two of wort rather than a whole beaker to float the hydrometer in

It is nice to only need a drop or two of wort rather than a whole beaker to float the hydrometer in
That's what intrigued me. But in the end, I found it's more trouble than it's worth. Rarely do I miss my OG enough to care.

They don't break nearly as easily as the hydrometer, they're more accurate and easy to read.... But they are a bit more of an investment than a hydrometer and sample tube. I like mine.

Well I've learnt something too cheers won't be getting the refractometer then ;).

Back