density stalled @ 1020sg

2sketchy

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi all first post.
I'm doing a extract porter and my fermentation has stalled at 1020sg after about a week of not bubbling in the airlock. 10 points from the desired F.G. 1012sg.

What can I do?
Can I add more yeast to get it started again? If so, I'm using S04 yeast can I just use another cheap yeast from the shop?

I have tried giving the fermenter a small shake/swirl and tied to bring a little heat into it due to the cold weather here atm.

Cheers,
Shane

Yep check gravity today write it down because you can't trust your mind:) there are Going to be a lot of beers in between now and a few days time. Check gravity again if it hasn't shifted you got a problem. Keep it warm give the fermenter a bit of a rouse and be patient. You brewed this porter before what was your OG?

Reactions: J A
^^^Yeah...what Trialben says^^^
Let the temp get up near 68 or 70 F for the remainder of the fermentation and rouse it hard to break the gunk loose from the bottom. No need to be gentle.
I always get a consistent 76-77% attenuation on a first pitch and if I use saved trub or full cake, usually at least 78 or even over 80%.

temperature on the sticker has been around 18C-64.4F through out fermentation which is good.
I have brewed this porter before but I've only been checking density's recently as I was really lazy before. Me and mates used to get the winds from this beer so I'm thinking that the sg mite have been out then. I'd lost a few kegs from the laziness so I started doing things better.

get it a bit warmer , least you're not bottling when it has that much fermentables left .
i sometimes use big bottles of hot water under a blanket with the Fv to get temps up .

Where i live being sketchy isn't a good thing :rolleyes:

get it a bit warmer , least you're not bottling when it has that much fermentables left .
i sometimes use big bottles of hot water under a blanket with the Fv to get temps up .

Where i live being sketchy isn't a good thing :rolleyes:
Yep youse get some big swings in temperature down your way Mark you don't want fermentation to stall on you then bottle and the temperature swings back up into the 30s makes for some nervous drinking sessions ha ha :D.

temperature on the sticker has been around 18C-64.4F through out fermentation which is good.
I have brewed this porter before but I've only been checking density's recently as I was really lazy before. Me and mates used to get the winds from this beer so I'm thinking that the sg mite have been out then. I'd lost a few kegs from the laziness so I started doing things better.
Where you from sketchy??

Russian roulette with bottle bombs !
I bottle a few in every batch into the Cooper's 750 ml PET bottles as my warning , the rest is in Grolsch swingtops .

Not keen to test the theory that the PETs will let go before the glass

Russian roulette with bottle bombs !
I bottle a few in every batch into the Cooper's 750 ml PET bottles as my warning , the rest is in Grolsch swingtops .

Not keen to test the theory that the PETs will let go before the glass
Mmmm interesting I thought that the glass would go before the pet because they can expand. When I started out brewing in Darwin it was all pet bottles and embarrassingly enough any used 750ml coke bottle I could find. (How things have changed:rolleyes:) sometimes the pet bottles would stretch that much the bottom would be completely pushed out. You couldn't stand it up on its bottom :p. I started out with ginger beer brewed with a "mother" wild fermentation. I used to go out and do the squeeze test and a flick test with my finger nail on the plastic if it felt and sounded really taught I'd release some gass. Oh yea those were the days :oops: ha ha:D. I find ginger beer either brewed conventionally or by wild fermentation "mother" it can be a very unpredictable beast. Eg FG can be like 1.002 really low no unfermantables

From Adelaide. I checked density again today and still the same. Will put heat pad under the fermenter tomorrow and give it a better shake/roll.

Used to live in queenstown. Work outerhabour across from asc. Now live para hills.

Me and mates used to get the winds from this beer so I'm thinking that the sg mite have been out then.

That's more likely to be caused by leftover yeast than unfermented sugars. But, yeah...if S-04 is still in the mix it stirs up my gut pretty good. I've got something to look forward to this afternoon since I just downed an ounce or two of a gravity sample from the Bitter I'm brewing up for my brother. I'll be stepping out to check the weather quite a bit this evening, I'm sure. :oops: :D

Surprising you'd be gassing up from finished beer since S-04 clears so well. I usually don't trust bottle carbing if I don't pick up a little yeast sediment into the bottling bucket to be sure it's got a little in suspension.

I've heard that perfectly clear homebrew will still have enough yeast in suspension for successful conditioning.

Only takes a single viable cell for it to eventually bottle carb , on the rare occasions i use fininings and cold crash for weeks on pilsners ect they are crystal clear into the bottling bucket and still carb up just fine

Reactions: J A
I've heard that perfectly clear homebrew will still have enough yeast in suspension for successful conditioning.

Then maybe it's enough to blow your lower intestine up like a balloon animal. ;)
But...2sketchy's comment was that his FG might have been high and causing flatulence in earlier batches. My point is that residual sugars wouldn't do that. Could be related, but it'd be yeast and not unfermented sugars causing gas.

I've also heard that it's impossible to remove suspended yeast without filtering. Sounds plausible to me.

Yep I've noticed since moving to kegs I've got less of the bloat from the yeast! The beer drops brighter and the yeast that floc out are removed by the first few pints. So less gas from the yeasties. I've also herd dextrins get you farting. So beers with carapils can get the flatulence going:p.

yes dextrin is a good but sometimes can seem bad, but it can get better over time and kegging is a much preferred way to store beer but has a slight learning curve and can be costly so it isn't instant but can be rewording

Back