Flavors to add to Gose

jmcnamara

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
We're planning on doing a mash for a 5 gallon batch this weekend, then splitting it into gallon buckets.
Anyone have good ideas for some flavors to add?

I'm thinking possibly some raspberries, maybe do one to double down on the citrus flavor.
Any spices i could add?

i've seen some that have blood oranges added, some have cranberry, etc. don't recall the breweries though

basically, i'd like to brew a batch that is just the basic recipe, then a few others from that same wort, but add different flavorings / extracts added.

and to complicate matters, i think i read somewhere that sometimes syrups and such are added at the time of serving. not even going to think about that option now

crushed coriander is the norm but as long as the grain bill is true, experiment

oh yeah. i've got about 4 lbs of the stuff laying around. i'll definitely be using that each and every time

I'd experiment by using small amounts of the flavoring in the cup until I found something I liked, then scale up.

I'd think lemon would go with a gose. But you could do any fruit or spice you wanted... hot peppers might be cool if you don't over do it.

Pine needles and or hot peppers?.... anyone try a Gose Style like that?

The particular flavors didn't impress me a lot.But I bottled those flavors which I like for later.

Sierra Nevada makes one called Otra Vez with Prickly Pear. Beautiful color and subtle flavor...quite nice. Pomegranate might accomplish the same thing.
You might consider combinations like honey/lemon/ginger or more savory herbs like basil or rosemary. Maybe Strawberry/basil would be nice. Shiner makes a Ruby Red with Grapefruit, ginger and a hint of rosemary. I think peach is a great flavor, but you might have to use an extract or peach flavored vodka to get it to come through...maybe a brandied peach flavor with some cinnamon/allspice notes.

Bloody hell JA you gotta open a home brew store if I just walked into your store with my mind set on a recipe I know I would have walked out brewing a peach flavoured gose. You make them brews sound delicious. Thumbs up to you big fella

Reactions: J A
i added hibiscus to my light summer ale and gave it a nice color with a neat flavour in the FV used motueka hops, has a nice lemon, lime hint to it. about 37g per 5gal

Reactions: J A
We have hibiscus here in Aus your talking about the flowers ?

Bloody hell JA you gotta open a home brew store

It'd be lost in the crowd here in Austin.:confused:
This was always a fun town and drinking beer was part of the lifestyle. Now with the influx of people from all over the country drawn here by the destination appeal, it's become the drinkin'est damn place I've ever seen and craft beer has really boomed. There are at least 30 breweries/brewpubs and more opening all the time. And that's just the immediate area. Then there's the wineries and distilleries. There are a lot of convenience stores here that stock easily a hundred craft and import beers and one of the best bottle shops stocks hundreds of different beers representing pretty much every craft brewery in Texas and a large number of other US craft beers and imports...simply overwhelming. o_O
I do think I might have to develop that brandied peach thing, though. Be a hell of a winter warmer. ;)

I'll have to pay more attention to these trees in the future. They have big yellow flowers right large shrubby tree with big leaves? Missus said there are a lot of different species plus I'm sure Mexican hibiscus may be different than Aussie hibiscus.

Back