Wrong Temp Probe???

Reebman1

Trial Member
Reaction score
I got in a hurry when ordering my STC1000 temp controller and didn't know until it arrived that it has the aquarium probe. Will this work as a wort temp probe for my fermenting chamber? Thanks...

What's an aquarium probe? I don't recall a probe option when I bought any of my 4 STC-1000 controllers. In other words, I wonder if my probes are the same as yours.

You talking about plastic probes there reebman? I've had them stainless probes and plastic ones. My one point of advise is to check the probe cable length before buying you want at least 2 meters that's 12 feet in American I thinko_O.
I use a plastic probe and its reading correct temp you know you can adjust for any differences or variations to temp in function 4 on STC? My other 2 bob is as long as it keeps the ferment temperature stable within half the degree you should be good no swings me matey.:) Cheers and brew on

probs go bad easily, especially if they get wet , even the cheap stainless RTD goes bad so be careful, the wires get kinked also and short out

What's an aquarium probe? I don't recall a probe option when I bought any of my 4 STC-1000 controllers. In other words, I wonder if my probes are the same as yours.

Jeffpn, I believe it's got the black plastic covered end instead of the metal end. Seems that I saw someone in a YouTube vid say to be sure to not get the "aquarium" style probe - referring to the black plastic. But for the life of me I'm not going to go trying to find which vid it was since I've watched probably all of them available on the subject! It doesn't seem like it would really make a difference...but what do I know? I'm still a baby in this hobby!

You talking about plastic probes there reebman? I've had them stainless probes and plastic ones. My one point of advise is to check the probe cable length before buying you want at least 2 meters that's 12 feet in American I thinko_O.
I use a plastic probe and its reading correct temp you know you can adjust for any differences or variations to temp in function 4 on STC? My other 2 bob is as long as it keeps the ferment temperature stable within half the degree you should be good no swings me matey.:) Cheers and brew on

Well, it's a bit late for me to query the cable length, since I already have it purchased and in my grubby little paws! The one I got was close to 6 - 7 feet long and is sufficient for my setup...

Post a pic of it. You have me curious.

Attachments

• IMG_2051.JPG
    IMG_2051.JPG
    741.6 KB · Views: 129
This is the simple setup I made today...

Attachments

• IMG_2052.JPG
    IMG_2052.JPG
    936.5 KB · Views: 127
Hmm. I guess I have an aquarium probe, too. On all 4 of my controllers. Here fishy, fishy, fishy!

Same probe here that black plastic one all good in my book but then again I'm in your boat and sure ain't the guru home brew dude . If ya got another temp meter tape that to the fermentor and see if the temps are equal if not adjust temp as necessary.
Jeffpn, I believe it's got the black plastic covered end instead of the metal end. Seems that I saw someone in a YouTube vid say to be sure to not get the "aquarium" style probe - referring to the black plastic. But for the life of me I'm not going to go trying to find which vid it was since I've watched probably all of them available on the subject! It doesn't seem like it would really make a difference...but what do I know? I'm still a baby in this hobby!

I put mine in a well that's in the wort. Cheap well. It's a pinched off and soldered copper tube.

Attachments

• IMG_0210.JPG
    IMG_0210.JPG
    547.4 KB · Views: 131
image.jpeg
image.jpeg That's some sci fi NASA looking stuff wrapped around that fermentor better looking than my black heat belt and I see its split in two one section at the top and the other at the bottom of your carboy. Does it stick on too? My one doubles back on itself so to speak and you have to draw it tight or it just slips down or hangs loose doing nothing.

I tape it on every time. It's called ferm wrap. It's only one piece. One contact is on top. The other is at the bottom.

So, I'm going to assume I'm OK with the probe I have and that the producer of that YouTube vid I got the info from didn't know exactly what he was saying! Oh well, BREW ON guys!

Thanks for your replies AND pics!

Congratulations for finding the only untruth on the entire Internet!! :D

I put mine in a well that's in the wort. Cheap well. It's a pinched off and soldered copper tube.

What would be wrong with soaking 3 or 4 feet of the probe wire in Star San and simply place it in the wort? Would ugly microbes 'crawl' down the wire from the part outside the ferment chamber making their way into the wort, thus tainting it?

Back