Wrong Temp Probe???

I wouldn't do that. I think your asking for infected wort or a defective probe. If you can't use a well, then I'd recommend that you tape it to the outside of your fermenter and cover the probe with a sock or a towel to help separate it from the ambient air.

I bought a 50' coil of 3/8" OD refrigeration line. That's what I used to make my counterflow chiller, racking canes, and thermowells.

I wouldn't do that. I think your asking for infected wort or a defective probe. If you can't use a well, then I'd recommend that you tape it to the outside of your fermenter and cover the probe with a sock or a towel to help separate it from the ambient air.

That's certainly the safer way...which I would do as well.

I bought a 50' coil of 3/8" OD refrigeration line. That's what I used to make my counterflow chiller, racking canes, and thermowells.

Yeah, couldn't tell from the pic but was thinking refrigeration line would likely be the right size. I may have some in the 'plumbing box'! When you soldered up the crimped end, did you use any flux and if so, what did you use to clean that off before sticking it down the wort?

I did use flux. I just washed and sanitized the well using the same procedures I use for everything else. I think maybe it was a bit sticky the first time on one of the wells that I made. I survived, and so did the beer.

What would be wrong with soaking 3 or 4 feet of the probe wire in Star San and simply place it in the wort? Would ugly microbes 'crawl' down the wire from the part outside the ferment chamber making their way into the wort, thus tainting it?
Sorta like what jeffpn is doing eh?o_O Yea I've herd the temp of the wort at the centre of fermentor can be different from the edge like where I've got my probe taped to it?

I'm sure you could put 10 different accurate thermometers in 10 different locations in or around the fermenter and get 10 different readings.

What would be wrong with soaking 3 or 4 feet of the probe wire in Star San and simply place it in the wort? Would ugly microbes 'crawl' down the wire from the part outside the ferment chamber making their way into the wort, thus tainting it?
Not sure mr reebman it's up to you we all don't like contamination I'm sure in primary fermentation it should be ok but not any prolonged secondary rest. Just tape it to the side or buy a thermowell you can probably make one your self you tube is good for that:).

most of the probes are simply not designed for direct immersion .
not an ideal environment in either case as either the probe may malfunction or you contaminate your brew .
Also remember that Starsan is not effective against yeast or mould , you don't want random yeast in the brew or a malfunction of the probe so taping with insulation to side of the FV is a safe /effective solution .

i use a selection of cleaning and santising agents here , sodium perc for cleaning , star san or hydrogen peroxide for sanitising ( on a rotation ) but you do need to be careful how you handle the more pure forms

I'm sure you could put 10 different accurate thermometers in 10 different locations in or around the fermenter and get 10 different readings.

Yup. But not as far off as you might imagine. While the beer is fermenting actively, it's stirring itself so the temperature should mostly equalize except near the interfaces (the head space, the interface with the carboy, etc.). In big, commercial fermentors, temperature differentials might be a problem within the wort but in our little five gallon guys, not so much. Our problems are at the edges where, if you don't measure the temperature of the beer accurately, your temperature will be significantly different than inside the fermentor. Unfortunately most of us cool from the edges, meaning the inside of the fermentor is at a significantly higher temperature than we've set our controllers.

Not sure mr reebman it's up to you we all don't like contamination I'm sure in primary fermentation it should be ok but not any prolonged secondary rest. Just tape it to the side or buy a thermowell you can probably make one your self you tube is good for that:).

I wouldn't: Those probes aren't designed for immersion. I have one of that kind of probe I use with a thermowell and another long integrated probe. The problems have been mentioned: They're not designed to be sanitized (nooks, crannies, openings, etc.) and immersion can lead to them providing false readings or malfunctioning.

Ok guys, we can give it a rest! I really didn't have any plans to do that, I simply was curious if there'd be any problem doing so. Your answers were mostly predictable to me but I thought maybe someone has had good results doing that. Thanks for the interest in setting me on the straight and narrow :)

Back