Hop Mix for American Amber Ale

Box of Rocks

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Using downtime during this blizzard of 2022. Am building an American Amber Ale recipe and would appreciate input from the hive of knowledge. Want to determine a hops mix that is bold, but not a nedipa. Also want a grain combo with good head retention, light brown/Amber color and rich complexity.

Here are the hops I am considering:

Cluster leaf 7 alpha (thanks @Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews )
Citra 13 alpha
Cascade 6 alpha
UK Admiral 13 alpha
Magnum 11 alpha
Mosaic 11 alpha
Galena 12 alpha
Willamette 4 alpha
Zappa 3 alpha
Citra 13 alpha
Glacier 7 alpha
CTZ 13 alpha
Cashmere 7 alpha
Chinook 12 alpha
Idaho 7, 13 alpha

Was gifted a sampler set of small sizes from Yakima, and I don’t know most of these.

Looking at a Pilsner or two row malt for 90%, a Cara for 8%, and a wheat (midnight?) for 2% at this point.

Thanks in advance for any input!

I like chinook and late addition willamette.

for the malt I would go with the 2-row and some carared. gives that distinctive reddish look for an amber.

Using downtime during this blizzard of 2022. Am building an American Amber Ale recipe and would appreciate input from the hive of knowledge. Want to determine a hops mix that is bold, but not a nedipa. Also want a grain combo with good head retention, light brown/Amber color and rich complexity.

Citra 13 alpha
Cascade 6 alpha
UK Admiral 13 alpha
Magnum 11 alpha
Mosaic 11 alpha
Galena 12 alpha
Willamette 4 alpha
Zappa 3 alpha
Citra 13 alpha
Glacier 7 alpha
CTZ 13 alpha
Cashmere 7 alpha
Chinook 12 alpha
Idaho 7, 13 alpha

Was gifted a sampler set of small sizes from Yakima, and I don’t know most of these.

Looking at a Pilsner or two row malt for 90%, a Cara for 8%, and a wheat (midnight?) for 2% at this point.

All I can tell you is if you use the Cluster, I've been bumping it up about 20% over the calculator, it is a bit higher moisture than commercial hops.

That and it's hard to go wrong with Cascade on the back end. The only time I sent one in to a comp, it didn't do well, was told it should have been more "C" hops in the profile.

Citra 13 alpha
Cascade 6 alpha
UK Admiral 13 alpha
Magnum 11 alpha
Mosaic 11 alpha
Galena 12 alpha
Willamette 4 alpha
Zappa 3 alpha
Citra 13 alpha
Glacier 7 alpha
CTZ 13 alpha
Cashmere 7 alpha
Chinook 12 alpha
Idaho 7, 13 alpha

Here is my recipe https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1174928/herms-amber-ale-ii
Instead of Simcoe for bittering, you could use Magnum, or Chinook.

CTZ I'd also check out the Q1 Mentor Amber I think the hops in that compliment that rich malty background well.
Good tip - I. Will make some grain and hop adjustments using this recipe as a guide. I might also get a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and try blind tests with different hop combinations before deciding on the specific mix.

Cash add and centennial go well together and give a classic profile

Citra 13 alpha
Cascade 6 alpha
UK Admiral 13 alpha
Magnum 11 alpha
Mosaic 11 alpha
Galena 12 alpha
Willamette 4 alpha
Zappa 3 alpha
Citra 13 alpha
Glacier 7 alpha
CTZ 13 alpha
Cashmere 7 alpha
Chinook 12 alpha
Idaho 7, 13 alpha

house cleaning services 30a
Building a recipe for an American Amber Ale can be a fun and creative process. Considering your goals of boldness without crossing into NEIPA territory, and selecting a grain combination for head retention, Amber color, and complexity, here are some recommendations:

Hops:

• Cascade: Cascade is a classic American hop known for its floral, citrusy, and spicy characteristics. It can provide a pleasant aroma and flavor to your Amber Ale without overwhelming it.
  • Willamette: Willamette is another versatile hop with earthy, floral, and mild spice notes. It can contribute to the overall complexity of your beer while adding a subtle bitterness.
  • Chinook: Chinook is a piney and resinous hop variety that can add a touch of boldness and a slight spiciness to your beer. Use it judiciously to avoid overpowering the other flavors.
  • Magnum: Magnum is a clean and neutral hop variety with a high alpha acid content. It can be used for bittering to balance the malt sweetness in your Amber Ale.
  • Cluster: Cluster is an American hop with a moderate alpha acid content and a unique spicy and floral character. It can add a distinct flavor profile to your beer.
Grains:

• Pilsner or Two-Row Malt: These base malts provide a solid foundation for your beer, offering fermentable sugars and a clean malt character.
  • Crystal or Caramel Malt: To achieve the desired Amber color and complexity, consider using a Crystal or Caramel malt. They contribute sweetness, body, and caramel/toffee flavors to the beer.
  • Munich or Vienna Malt: Adding a small portion of Munich or Vienna malt can enhance the malt complexity, adding breadiness and toasty notes to your beer.
  • Wheat Malt: Including a small amount of wheat malt, such as Midnight Wheat, can improve head retention and contribute to a smooth mouthfeel.
It's important to note that the specific proportions of each grain and hop will depend on your personal preferences and desired flavor profile. Experimenting with different combinations and ratios can help you achieve the desired balance and character in your American Amber Ale.

Remember to consider factors like fermentation temperature, yeast selection, and water chemistry to further refine your recipe. Enjoy the brewing process, and stay safe during the blizzard!

Yeah…let’s try something here…”miiamelia”…put it in the salad spinner…”I am lame AI”….:rolleyes:
I try to consider factors like if I am going to drink it or not.

wow. a robot AI reply. Too funny. Good to know specific proportions will depend on personal preferences. My specific proportions depend on my calorie intake. Put that in your AI pipe and smoke it, mesmerelda!

On the topic at hand, I think @The Brew Mentor put up a solid hops selection for his Community Quarterly brew MentoRed, using Cascade and Centennial for a “California” blend. Ever since making that MentoRed, I switched my hops additions to mimic that beer. And looking back further at the amber ale brew that I have made the most of, I used Simcoe for bittering, with Centennial at 20 and Cascade at 0 (but I have not made that beer for about a year and a half). It is a style that I would like to brew again, especially with the good water here in Eugene.

Back