Why is SRM off alittle

Buzzliteyear

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I Brewed this recipe and the SRM was off by about 20 points I think
what am i doing wrong here....using Voss my F.G. was 1.003 also (how do I input/adjust that in recipe calculator )
It had not yet cleared up in this picture but is now .....my second best beer yet.....

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1350395/rat-rod

Attachments

• No.4 small.jpg
    No.4 small.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 41
what SRM do you think it should be and why?
most of that grain bill is under 7, I would expect it to be very pale. I dont see it being in the 20s at all.

what FG are you looking for? kviek is pretty aggressive, but getting to 1.003 would be impressive from a 1.042 beer.

@Minbari check out the attached picture above.....its looks about 28srm to me

Im happy with 1.003 just wanted to know if it was possible to edit that in Recipe maker

Welcome Buzz. That is an interesting looking red beer.

I looked at the recipe.
Hopped up for sure, but I would have gone bigger with just Chinook at 40 minutes, then used the Amarillo, Citra and Simcoe with 10 or 5 minutes to go, and keep your whirlpool.
As far as color, your beer is really not that dark, it is just RED.
I think you would have been fine using just 1 pack of Voss Kveik, and still would have ended in low single digits.

How can one get 80% brewhouse efficiency with a 70 minute boil that increases gravity by just 1 point? According to the recipe, the pre boil gravity is projected at 1.041, while post boil is 1.042 - that is like not boiling at all. Mashing an additional 70 minutes would probably achieve a higher gravity than the projected post boil. Something must be off in your recipe construction. I suggest taking a close look at everything in the recipe builder. Have you created an equipment profile yet?

Hi and Thanks Herm, looking at the colour charts online compared to the 6.3srm shows a straw lager to me,

funny you should say about the Voss, I did use 1 packet but poured Wort over my last yeast pack in Fermzilla.
yes I think you are correct about low F.G numbers, I cant control my ferment temp yet so its about 27C here.

I adjusted that to 80% to get my S.G correct of 1.042 .....and left my lid on for the boil lost about 1 liter approx.....

yes I added my gear to the Profile but maybe not all correct

Hi and Thanks Herm, looking at the colour charts online compared to the 6.3srm shows a straw lager to me,

funny you should say about the Voss, I did use 1 packet but poured Wort over my last yeast pack in Fermzilla.
yes I think you are correct about low F.G numbers, I cant control my ferment temp yet so its about 27C here.

I adjusted that to 80% to get my S.G correct of 1.042 .....and left my lid on for the boil lost about 1 liter approx.....

One reason to leave the lid off is to ensure that unwanted (off-flavor) volatiles like DMS boil off as well. There's really no other way to get rid of those things.

In some styles, DMS is part of the desired flavor profile. But not most.

@Minbari check out the attached picture above.....its looks about 28srm to me

Im happy with 1.003 just wanted to know if it was possible to edit that in Recipe maker

interesting color, not sure how you got it that color TBO.

One reason to leave the lid off is to ensure that unwanted (off-flavor) volatiles like DMS boil off as well. There's really no other way to get rid of those things.

In some styles, DMS is part of the desired flavor profile. But not most.
^^^^

usualy dont want to leave the lid the on. still not sure how you got it red like that. lol

The pleasure is mine if I can lend a hand to another aspiring home brewer.
As for color, I don’t see your beer as being dark red.
Looking at Gladfield’s Toffee, I see it typically has EBC color rating 12; their Munich ranges from 14 to 17; Biscuit, if Gladfield’s is EBC 72
Those “character malts make up almost 50% of the grain bill, so they are putting out some color.
I think on our small homebrew scale, it is generally accepted that you do not cover the kettle during the boil, as you want to reduce the amount of liquid in the kettle to increase the concentration of sugars in the wort. Boiling for 70 minutes likely would have driven off 4 or 5 liters of steam, and likely increased your post boil gravity by another 10 to 12 points.
And as others have said, you generally want to drive off those DMS precursors in the steam, so leave that lid off during the boil.

@Minbari it is alot different then the recipe maker says of 6.3srm for sure

@Minbari @Herm brews @Donoroto , ok yes I have read about boiling off the off flavors maybe it does not matter so
much in darker/red Ales. I have never made a Beer that all my friends said they liked so much, Haha 11 adults and a 5 year old
have tried it, 5 year old said it tasted like raspberries,

@Herm brews To me it looks like the biscuit added a dark colour ? I wanted to have the max. amount wort as to keep avb lower as im type 2 so my S.G was 1.042 F.G 1.003 avb 5.1
I have used before glucoamylase but it seems to stripe the malt flavor right out F.G ended up .998 so I stopped using it till i got some brews under my belt.....was giving a bitter taste

First of all welcome the forum, and hey, that is a really pretty beer you have there! It looks delicious!

How does it taste?
At the end of the day, that is all that really matters. For sure you want to satisfy all of the senses with the right amount of malt and hop flavor, bitterness, aroma, mouthful, and level of dryness/sweetness. The least important sense to satisfy is the eye.

If you figure out how you got the color, let me know!

Definitely do NOT boil with the lid on, you risk DMS.
DMS is typically described as having an aroma of cooked or creamed corn; however, the literature goes further with descriptors such as sauerkraut-like, black olive, canned corn, cabbage, rotten onions, and blackcurrant buds.

@Minbari

@Herm brews To me it looks like the biscuit added a dark colour ? I wanted to have the max. amount wort as to keep avb lower as im type 2 so my S.G was 1.042 F.G 1.003 avb 5.1
I have used before glucoamylase but it seems to stripe the malt flavor right out F.G ended up .998 so I stopped using it till i got some brews under my belt.....was giving a bitter taste

Glucoamylase is one of the oldest and widely used biocatalysts in food industry. The major application of glucoamylase is the saccharification of partially processed starch/dextrin to glucose, which is an essential substrate for numerous fermentation processes and a range of food and beverage industries.

that explains the crazy low FG. keeping dextrins in the wort gives added mouthfeel. I wouldnt use that stuff unless it was tiny amounts.

as for the higher volume, you can always add water after the boil. I still wouldnt cover the kettle. if you get a significant amount of DMS, your beer will smell of rotten eggs.

Looking at the malts...
Are you sure you put in the right lovibond for your toffee malt? It looks real low at 5.3?
I love the colour.
I good looking red beer is still on the cards for me.

As for fermentation and no temperature control: Voss can handle that easily. I would actually ferment warmer than 27 oC if you can.
Just try wrap up the fermenter to minimise differences between day and night temperature.

Then for the software, remember these are predictions! No law.
You can come out higher or lower. Keep adjusting the profile till the figures are more or less in line with reality. No 2 set up's are exactly the same ;)

Welcome to the forum

@Herm brews that i would have to ask my brew shop lady carefully...... but she is very good and knows her products.....
Yes I know what you are saying......I wish Gladfield have some pictures of those malts brewed

@Zambezi Special the Biscuit was 20 points to high which brought the total SRM down even more to 5.46 and the
toffee was .5 srm to high which makes the eg. even worse.....
dont get me wrong I love the Beer.... colour..... taste everything.....just wanted the online calculator to be close for future brews....

Ok cool yes I love using the Voss it has saved me this summer. my immersion chiller was only cooling to 27C so that ended up
being my fermentation Temp. using a fridge with heating pad to keep consistent was perfect ......

thanks for the tip to re-adjust profile. thats what i did with my 80% efficiency to gt my S.G 1.042 correct

@Herm brews that i would have to ask my brew shop lady carefully...... but she is very good and knows her products.....
Yes I know what you are saying......I wish Gladfield have some pictures of those malts brewed
Read those descriptions provided in the link I posted for Gladfield malts. I really think one of your ordered malts got switched. I’m not making accusations of malice, and people do make mistakes. That is a reason I like to measure my own grains, and feel fortunate that the lhbs (local home brew supply) allows me to do so. If a mistake is made, it’s on me.
I am guessing that you did not set out to make a red beer, right?

Herm yes I see......Silly thing is after talking about Red Ales and reading about those three malts
Aurora, Red back and Shepherds Delight it makes me want to brew a Red on purpose,
No I did not set out to brew a Red.....

Herm yes I see......Silly thing is after talking about Red Ales and reading about those three malts
Aurora, Red back and Shepherds Delight it makes me want to brew a Red on purpose,
I use weyerman carared for that reason on a few beer that I do. The ESB i just finished had a nice red hue ....... Not to that degree though. :oops:

Since everyone lives the taste, it is a happy "error".

But I will say that some of us are mildly jealous that it looks so good! :D

Back