Brewing with Ceoliac Disease

Cheers mate.

She's a tightrope this life sometimes too much of one thing can send you tumbling down.

Gunna get back on the tightrope but:D!

Jeeps Ben, you're facing some challenges out there buddy!

Lifestyle changes seem to make a big difference so solid advice from a dietician will surely be helpful, and that positive mindset of getting back on the horse when you fall off is admirable.

Good luck man :)

Cheese flavoured beer will never catch on...
Yeah I ditched it this arvo things got to hot I think that grain heats up heaps and sorts like yeast it can get away on you and turn ugly quick .

Ah well the chooks get some more feed anyhow:).

I think the dietician is a good start.
Getting a healthy gut can do wonders and hopefully help your body repair itself over time.
The bigger question to solve will be why did it happen in the first place?

Had a revisit to the doc today on the Endoscopy looks like I've done a number on myself lol probably shouldn't laugh.

Severe damage to small intestine villi pretty much wipped out as well as esophogus its severely inflamed.

So because of this I can't (you won't believe this) digest
Sucrose
Maltose
Lactose

WTF

I told the doc good thing I was drinking all that beer than:p!
Oh good thing I can digest alcohol :D
Not good news ladies and gents....

Gotta go see another doc next week and probably go start seeing a dietician :eek:.

I've got a feeling me drinking anything evolving them above sugars might be a no no for me soon:oops:.

Good news is villi repair themselves and that means me staying on the straight n narrow and trying not to kill myself :rolleyes:.
With Gluten ;).​
Can't be liking that Ben, but knowing what it is is an excellent start towards letting it fix itself.
Fructose is the major component of fruit juices, that's isn't on the no-fly list?

Hmm, I wonder what grape cider might taste like...:D

The dietician will help you figure out what's to eat. It might seem a bit harsh at first - probably already does - but over time you'll adapt and it will feel better, as will you.

And we're gonna stick with you buddy, we're all here for you.

Had a revisit to the doc today on the Endoscopy looks like I've done a number on myself lol probably shouldn't laugh.

Severe damage to small intestine villi pretty much wipped out as well as esophogus its severely inflamed.

So because of this I can't (you won't believe this) digest
Sucrose
Maltose
Lactose

WTF

I told the doc good thing I was drinking all that beer than:p!
Oh good thing I can digest alcohol :D
Not good news ladies and gents....

Gotta go see another doc next week and probably go start seeing a dietician :eek:.

I've got a feeling me drinking anything evolving them above sugars might be a no no for me soon:oops:.

Good news is villi repair themselves and that means me staying on the straight n narrow and trying not to kill myself :rolleyes:.
With Gluten ;).​

20_f.png
WTF is right Ben! Hopefully you're on the bottom floor and can only go up from where you are now. I don't know how much more bad news we can take! :D

Hang in there Ben! We're praying for you.

Can't be liking that Ben, but knowing what it is is an excellent start towards letting it fix itself.
Fructose is the major component of fruit juices, that's isn't on the no-fly list?

Hmm, I wonder what grape cider might taste like...:D

The dietician will help you figure out what's to eat. It might seem a bit harsh at first - probably already does - but over time you'll adapt and it will feel better, as will you.

And we're gonna stick with you buddy, we're all here for you.
Yup that was what I was thinking too Don Fructose that's fruits right so cider is OK ;);).

Thanks everyone for your well wishes and support it means alot to me.

Look after yourself people.

Aw dammit, that sucks, @Trialben. I hope the gastro people can help you get this sorted, and maybe some ideas from the dietitian for things to eat.

Get better soon!

Sorry to hear your diagnosis Ben. Here is a commercial millet option icymi. https://grousemalthouse.com/introducing-munich-millet-malt/
Thanks.

Yeah I'm in Australia we have one supplier down in Victoria who do malted millet.

Another hb store closer to me is out of malted Sorghum ATM bit I'm on their email list once they get it back in stock.

I wish we had more options in Aus for GF brewing just a limited market but a growing one I'm finding with the more people I'm hearing just around me locally that are either Coeliac or doing Gluten free diet.

Ben, I am so sorry to hear this news.
I got the idea something wasn't right from reading a couple other posts, but I am just reading about this now.
I have only read your initial post in this thread, so I am not completely up to date, but I hope that you are okay

Last edited:
1st Attempt at Gluten Free brewing with home malted Buckwheat and corn.
20230122_165930.jpg

I added 1kg of rice syrup after finding near no conversion and had a refractometer measured SG of 1.033 FG I think was 1.012 or something I think that was the unconverted starches or something.

Anyhow it's not pretty but it's definitely drinkable the hops are great the bitterness seems a little sharp but good but them CRYO hops are good plenty or aroma.
I did drop 15g into the keg on transfer before I let it keg carb naturally.

And still a thin film of head at the end of the glass
20230122_171059.jpg

The flavour is sorta malty but is thin starchy and muddy but it goes down pretty easy really.

I think I'll have another
:)

Great news @Trialben :)
I was about to find this thread to ask for an update on your health and on your beer :confused:

Great news @Trialben :)
I was about to find this thread to ask for an update on your health and on your beer :confused:
Thanks Zambezi!

All is well trying to lay off the Sauce a bit and settling into my new norm thumbs up all round regardless just taking a breather until I brew another batch;).

I was just looking at malt extract recipe kits from OBK and they have a number of gluten free kits.
They don't show any all grain gluten free kits though.
Just thinking out loud Ben, would it be worth looking around to see if you can get gluten free kits to brew?

I was just looking at malt extract recipe kits from OBK and they have a number of gluten free kits.
They don't show any all grain gluten free kits though.
Just thinking out loud Ben, would it be worth looking around to see if you can get gluten free kits to brew?
Yeah that's most likely the next way I'm brewing my next beer with Sorghum malt.

Yeah that's most likely the next way I'm brewing my next beer with Sorghum malt.
Kinda like starting all over again. It'll definitely get better. Do you remember your very first beer you brewed?Compare that to the most recent beer you brewed and I can guarantee that it always got better.

Back