Brewing with Ceoliac Disease

Oh man this has been a long brew day View attachment 23716
That's the brew liquor and in my sparge pot the grains buckwheat is a slimey bastard the starch in this mash didn't convert at all!
View attachment 23717
Heated the kettle up to just below boiling and dropped in the grain bag.
Didn't think this through there is no way I can keep 95c with the bag sitting on the element lol.
Gunna have to come up with a better way to geletanis the grains
Maybe a pot on gas stove sepperate to this not sure.
Anyhow put the liquor back after piss farting around playing heat the grains in the bottom of the kettle and hit 60c sweet brought it up to 63c for as long as I swam in the pool with the family.

Then stepped to 70c while I ate them ribs bathed the daughter and kissed her goodnight.

View attachment 23718
Boils up on the GF Beer little bit of hot break actually not too much less than I normally get.

I hit 5.2 brix yup I measured at start and it was 4 brix so there was F all enzymes in that grain either that or I didn't wait long enough before getting it to 95c

I think it's my malting pluss maybe my geletanisation of the grains.

Anyhow I added the syrup 1kg rice syrup and got a pre boil of 1.033.

Didn't take a FG lol
But I'm expecting 4 points on a 40 min boil

So be it the wort is in the kegmenter no chilling with 20g of cryo pop hops (feels such a shame that I couldn't use them more appropriately) till tomorrow.

Spinning some Windsor on some RWS prepped with some nutrient.

I've got a lot to learn and learnt alot today.

I'll be ordering some enzymes for next brew day for sure!
Like learning to brew all over again. But good for you! While I wish that you could've just kept at it with good ol' barley, Nature wanted to gum up the works (so to speak) and threw you a curve ball.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. And maybe smarter.

Keep a keg's worth of cider on hand to get you through them longer brew days. I am hoping your beer turns out as beer, because it will only get better from here.

I haven't noticed you mention Sorghum much. Is that available in your part of the world?
My woman is hard core celliac, not even a crumb can be tolerated. Two different toasters etc.
Any way she likes a beer called " New Grist" . The lable says Sorghum, Rice, Hops, yeast and water.

Great stuff Ben. Your stick-to-itiveness is a pleasure to follow. Thanks for sharing your journey. You’ll get it all figured out and end up writing the book on this. :)

I haven't noticed you mention Sorghum much. Is that available in your part of the world?
My woman is hard core celliac, not even a crumb can be tolerated. Two different toasters etc.
Any way she likes a beer called " New Grist" . The lable says Sorghum, Rice, Hops, yeast and water.
Yeah we've got sorgum it's prone to a nasty fungus In malting so I'm just playing it safe for now.

The recommendations for prepping it envolves soaking it in a weak Lye solution to help prevent the fungus.

Last edited:
Not sure about that. Lye is what you use to make pretzels brown. I have food-grade lye just for that purpose.
Yes so I read this on my research on the product.
Still ill wait I see Hoppy days near me stocks malted sorgum so I'll opt for that once they get more back in stock.:)

I know it's a low caustic solution used in the first rinse of the sorgum.

Some budgie seed :p my brewing career has come to me brewing with Budgie feed lol!
20230103_155842.jpg

4kg of French millet bird seed sorry I can't stop laughing at my stupidity :D:D.

Gunna malt this next and see how I go brewing what I'm gunna name budgie smuggler :p.

Look how tiny them seeds are their like sesame seeds is only way I can describe em.

OK so this is big for me because if this goes well I found I can get 20kg of the stuff for 60 bucks .

Wish me luck brewing comrades I need it:rolleyes:.

Oh that other brew I did up there was in the throws of a violent fermentation this morning with Windsor and it's come to a near stop this eve.

Man that Windsor likes to go hard!

They'll all be singing, although maybe a different tune ;)

2nd soak on the millet this morn.
20230105_060708.jpg

This stuff is heating up heaps and lots of co2 comming out.

I feel this batch might go side ways on me
Luckily the weather is cooler today which should slow things down.

Their just starting to sprout one more soak then germination which is gunna be tricky with these tiny grains:eek:

If it fails, you can try a 100% buckwheat beer.

We've got one over here, made by a doctor turned brewer as he was diagnosed with Coeliacs.
It's made with 100% buckwheat mash, and (I think Styrian Golding) for those 25 IBU's. the rest of the bitterness comes naturally from buckwheat which is by itself bitter and adds a honey note to the beer.

If i remember correctly he tried selling it in pharmacies by marketing it as a "gluten free rehydrating solution"

Had a revisit to the doc today on the Endoscopy looks like I've done a number on myself lol probably shouldn't laugh.

Severe damage to small intestine villi pretty much wipped out as well as esophogus its severely inflamed.

So because of this I can't (you won't believe this) digest
Sucrose
Maltose
Lactose

WTF

I told the doc good thing I was drinking all that beer than:p!
Oh good thing I can digest alcohol :D
Not good news ladies and gents....

Gotta go see another doc next week and probably go start seeing a dietician :eek:.

I've got a feeling me drinking anything evolving them above sugars might be a no no for me soon:oops:.

Good news is villi repair themselves and that means me staying on the straight n narrow and trying not to kill myself :rolleyes:.
With Gluten ;).​

Had a revisit to the doc today on the Endoscopy looks like I've done a number on myself lol probably shouldn't laugh.

Severe damage to small intestine villi pretty much wipped out as well as esophogus its severely inflamed.

So because of this I can't (you won't believe this) digest
Sucrose
Maltose
Lactose

WTF

I told the doc good thing I was drinking all that beer than:p!
Oh good thing I can digest alcohol :D
Not good news ladies and gents....

Gotta go see another doc next week and probably go start seeing a dietician :eek:.

I've got a feeling me drinking anything evolving them above sugars might be a no no for me soon:oops:.

Good news is villi repair themselves and that means me staying on the straight n narrow and trying not to kill myself :rolleyes:.
With Gluten ;).​
Damn dude, sorry to hear that. Keep thinking of your wife and Matilda and hopefully it'll be a little easier for you

Damn dude, sorry to hear that. Keep thinking of your wife and Matilda and hopefully it'll be a little easier for you
Cheers mate.

She's a tightrope this life sometimes too much of one thing can send you tumbling down.

Gunna get back on the tightrope but:D!

Eish Ben, if it doesn't rain it pours :(
Sorry to hear.
You are wise to go for a 2nd opinion.
Good luck!
Maybe you can have those sugars when they are all transferred into alcohol and diastaticus yeast becomes the answer?
Fingers crossed!

Back