What are you drinking right now?

image.jpg
Some of my dry cider while the Bunyip boils. Life is good.

@Zambezi Special and @Craigerrr that is what locals are telling us, and that last year was particularly bad for apples around here. I am reading that apple trees should be pruned by about 25% to encourage new growth with fruit. A new skill to learn in this journey called life. One way or another, we’ll have apples for eating in pies, compote with oatmeal, in hand, or for making cider.
I have never had a home with an apple tree nor known of this info until now. I am great at pointing out the obvious though lol. If last year was your trees' barren year then effectively speaking, you haven't missed out on much. The only fruit plant I have had was a fantastic rhubarb plant, the best in the entire village right down in the bottom corner when I lived on the edge of the Wakefield area well known for it but that's digressing. Both fruits are commonly used in crumbles here. I just made apple crumble with Bramley's and Cox's before the weekend, added plenty of cinnamon. Great with a glass of French brandy.

Norfolk Nog porter [5%], first one of two 1Ls bottled 23rd December, the rest is in a 2 gal keg. Conditioned just two days and only been maturing three weeks. Surprisingly creamy texture for such a relatively short time. Cheers once again to Woodforde's - I'll be on commission at this rate;)

MyDSC2S1-010.jpg

A little inspiration from the chat with @Steve SPF regarding milds, but went more best bitter this go. I call it a session beer, only because 4.3% is less than the typical 6-7% :D. Yeast was a leftover slurry from Downtown Charlie (WY 1318), which was fun to try with this recipe.

IMG-2323.jpg

I’m hoping the 2 apple trees in our yard produce some fruit this year, as last year they produced nothing but leaves. Apparently, they are in need of pruning, so that is something I’ll be doing soon to take advantage of winter dormancy. We have a Honey Crisp and a Spitzenburg, which are supposed to be good for cider. Whatever the case, we like apples in this house.
That and a healthy dose of poo always does the job I find cow poo or whatever you got accces to localy will get them firing.

Man that would be awesome making cider or any beverage at home from produce you grew yourself!

Enjoying another bottle of our dry cider now. My wife just got a delivery of vanilla beans for making vanilla extract. I’m tempted to drop one that has soaked in bourbon for more than a year into the remaining gallon and a half of cider in the fermenter before bottling the next round.

Enjoying another bottle of our dry cider now. My wife just got a delivery of vanilla beans for making vanilla extract. I’m tempted to drop one that has soaked in bourbon for more than a year into the remaining gallon and a half of cider in the fermenter before bottling the next round.
Now your just teasing us Herm!

A little inspiration from the chat with @Steve SPF regarding milds, but went more best bitter this go. I call it a session beer, only because 4.3% is less than the typical 6-7% :D. Yeast was a leftover slurry from Downtown Charlie (WY 1318), which was fun to try with this recipe.

Those old timey brewers were onto something weren't they? Great looking beer that :)

I have never had a home with an apple tree nor known of this info until now. I am great at pointing out the obvious though lol. If last year was your trees' barren year then effectively speaking, you haven't missed out on much. The only fruit plant I have had was a fantastic rhubarb plant, the best in the entire village right down in the bottom corner when I lived on the edge of the Wakefield area well known for it but that's digressing. Both fruits are commonly used in crumbles here. I just made apple crumble with Bramley's and Cox's before the weekend, added plenty of cinnamon. Great with a glass of French brandy.
We have a lemon tree, but there was this thing called a hurricane (actually, a tropical storm when it got here) that did in much of the fruit.
We still had some fruit, but the wind blew off most of it.

View attachment 23889
That's a beauty.

I'm allowed a drink again ;)
After a 3 week doctor"s order break (infection).
My M47 Belgian ale.
Little on the bitter side, but I got low bitter treshold. Not as fruity as my previous ones due to lower fermentation temperature.
It's growing on me. I like it.
3 weeks extra cold storage hasn't harmed it.
Wonder how the Voss beers will have been affected.
But that's for the weekend
IMG_20230119_163601.jpg
IMG_20230119_163601.jpg

Budget Yorkshire Bitter [4.5%]. Eight weeks in. Rebottled and reprimed from leaking keg four weeks after kegging on 18th November with a four day conditioning. Head didn't dissipate it came out like that but was well carbonated. Glad I reprimed, think I got that part spot on. Better shot of the empty I took as this one barely touched the sides - had a heavy but progressive day other than not being able to find my set of metal files.

MyDSC2S1-011a.jpg
MyDSC2S1-011b.jpg

Woodforde's Tinsel Toes Ruby Ale [4%]. Five weeks in with a two day condition. More copper coloured in my eyes. It is a variant of British Golden Ale. The two day condition seems to have worked fine as usual with these guys so I'll stick with that. Not surprisingly lacks maturity at this stage. But quite refreshing just off the chill. [Ed: Cascade hop pellets added on Day 4 of PF notably subtle]. Did a 1 gal mini-keg of this, looking like that will be favourite for Easter at the moment. Had a really good head which I went and chopped off :oops:

MyDSC2S1-012.jpg

Last edited:
My M47 Belgian ale.
Little on the bitter side, but I got low bitter treshold. Not as fruity as my previous ones due to lower fermentation temperature.
View attachment 23900 View attachment 23900
Welcome back!

My M47 Belgian ale.
View attachment 23900 View attachment 23900
That's is purdy!

Back