Brewing with Ceoliac Disease

Maybe in the oven to dehydrate at 50C only?
Yeah this is what I did with that other batch.

So dehydrate until a certain moisture % I think it was under 10% then you raise the kiln to 100c 4-5 hours for base malt 150 for Munich style malt

The gist is raise temp to high in the drying phase you can kill the enzymes.
If I read it correctly :).

Day 2 on the steep looks like the buckwheat might be growing a tiny little bit
20221223_081901.jpg

The corn hasn't changed much.

I read somewhere someone was dehydrating lumber. Closed it up in a Styrofoam area and used a space heater and a room dehumidifier.

For anyone reading through this Coeliac thread on brewing with Gluten free Grains this guy Andrew Lavery came up with the mash method for getting similar extraction from the gluten free grains as compared to barley.

Also it looks like the best performer when it comes to Diastatic power in these GF grains Is Millet it seems like the GO To and has both Beta and Alpah Amylase as well as Limit dextrine which I learnt barley doesn't have which I've learned helps with breaking apart the branched carbohydrate molecules to make it accessible to Alpha and Beta Amylase to then " "cut in" to do their conversion. (My words listen to poddy for his explanation :)).

This is eppisode 40 on Brulab if you wanna find the link in your go to listen podcast app.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4r...i=uNrHgkm9RLKk7wHg1JeU7w&utm_source=copy-link

The method described in that pody is using enzymes in the GF grains and how to go about brewing best practice without using endogenous enzymes.

The go to it seems so far in the GF brewing community is to add these endogenous enzymes to the mash to help achieve the best conversion without all the hastle of the above podcast method, the pre geletanisation then adding back of supernatant (Enzyme rich saved wort) to the geletized grains to begin the mash conversion.

This poddy looks at the use of base GF grains in brewing https://open.spotify.com/episode/4r...i=zhay2ujQT_SnC_o46_2wcg&utm_source=copy-link
For me personally I'll have a crack first at trying this adapted decoction method to make the starches available before using the enzymes but it looks to be the best approach especially if I want to use rice or other less enzymatic grains is to add Enzymes...

Also I think my DIY malting is gunna be pretty crappy at first and really deficient in any enzymes.
The corn and buckwheat I'm attempting to malt ATM are both really low in Enzymes and they both contain just one half of the Enzymatic group.
I think it's Corn has a low amount of Alpha Amylase and the buckwheat has low amounts of Beta either or the other way around.

Also buckwheat I've found is a thirsty bastard so you have to account for extra mash absorbtion it also can get pretty sticky is what I've read and heard.
But it's the head retention qualities that I'm after.

Anyhow I'll stop here.

Last edited:
Looks like things are really getting going with the buckwheat. I weighed it and it was 1600g ish so 60% hydration give or take so I put it in a tray to start germination
20221224_064546.jpg

That's it this morning you can see some roots I think growing. This warmed up a bit as well.

I weighed the corn and it was 2800g 2000g to start with so around 40% hydration which is the guideline but i thought I'd give it another overnight soak just to make sure.
This is it this morning not alot of change but I do see some slight differences in the kernel or Berry.
20221224_065018.jpg

Beauty looks like things are going to plan.

View attachment 23586
Well I hope I'm not rushing things but this buckwheat looks done these shoots (I don't think their roots) are twice the size of the kernel so I'm popping them in the oven on low 50c ish to dry.

Oh corn looks like it's springing to life
View attachment 23589
Nice Ben, plant a couple for next year. I am happy for your (so far) success.

Word to the wise: don't try floor malting unless the wife is away. :rolleyes:

:p true that Don !

Today's Christmas malting

I left this on The work van dash to sun dry:D.
20221225_103649.jpg

Buckwheat.
Now I've got it at 100c in the oven attempting some Vienna style malt
20221225_173447.jpg

As for the corn it's not far behind after the festivities today I came home to this
20221225_171144.jpg

Looks like things are moving along I'll not be so hasty with this and let it germinate a little more before I throw it on the work car dash;).

Oh any red berries I'm treating with suspicion until I can get a handle on this fasarium mould thing...
Merry Christmas all might be brewing my 1st batch in the new year:).

Here we go I increased the temp to 150c for another 40mins after reading Munich malt is 150 isView attachment 23607
To me it smells and tastes like nutty biscuits.
So maybe a biscuit style malt :rolleyes:
Who knows it sure tastes promising :).
Sure looks tasty!

Nice job!

Back