What are you doing with homebrew today?

Bottle day for some genni clone creame ale....I think next time I'll do a green crown...more true to the style....ahhh to find some shorty bottles!
20221125_162257.jpg

Good thing I remembered the relax have a homebrew advice. For the first time ever, the bag soaked up so much water that I couldn't lift it. I had to have help from the neighbor.Might have to research this. I have made similar weight grain bills before.

Good thing I remembered the relax have a homebrew advice. For the first time ever, the bag soaked up so much water that I couldn't lift it. I had to have help from the neighbor.Might have to research this. I have made similar weight grain bills before.
Dumb ass me, it was the pumpkin.

Bottled 27 bottles of apple wine yesterday. We're officially out of wine bottles now, and the missus is wanting a passion fruit wine. Too late for Christmas, I say. The apple dropped to 1.001 in 4 weeks, though. I was impressed. Good dry tart flavor and that warm alcohol glow all the way to the stomach. I'm thinking after it conditions, a couple glasses, then POWER NAP! Too used to my 5%-6% beers.

It's just a kit (must concentrate in a jug). A gallon of must, 4 gallons of water, and a packet of yeast. Transfer to secondary in 2 weeks, then bottle 6 weeks after. Didn't bother with the secondary this time when I found it at 1.001. Ain't much more the yeast can do. I figure the rest can happen in the bottles. It did cloud up a tiny bit after a sugar dose to sweeten it a little. I'm hoping we don't have a bunch of cork poppers like we did with the pear batch. It may also turn into a sparkling wine (if it doesn't pop the corks). Lost 9 bottles because #7 corks just ain't quite big enough. Gonna need a better corker if we're gonna do this regularly. A floor mounted one, perhaps, that I can mount on a good heavy chunk of 2x10 for ballast .....

Finally got my pre prohibition lager bottled, 3 weeks in, gravity is spot on at 1.011. Bottle conditioning this time, wound up putting 1/2 tsp of table sugar in each bottle….didn’t realize I was out of Coopers drops until after I had the bottles filled. Pretty sure it will be beer when it’s ready.

Finally got my pre prohibition lager bottled, 3 weeks in, gravity is spot on at 1.011. Bottle conditioning this time, wound up putting 1/2 tsp of table sugar in each bottle….didn’t realize I was out of Coopers drops until after I had the bottles filled. Pretty sure it will be beer when it’s ready.
I’ve been carbing with cane sugar for a while now, because I ran out of my normal priming. If there’s any difference from corn sugar, I can’t taste it. It’s such a tiny part of the whole process, I don’t think I ever will taste it. We have cane sugar here anyway, so…..

Interested in this as I want to make one during the winter.

I’ve been carbing with cane sugar for a while now, because I ran out of my normal priming. If there’s any difference from corn sugar, I can’t taste it. It’s such a tiny part of the whole process, I don’t think I ever will taste it. We have cane sugar here anyway, so…..

It's all refined sugar. The yeast don't care either way. And if you can't tell the difference, why pay the difference?

Interested in this as I want to make one during the winter.

First attempt was less than great, reworked the recipe after reading up a bit more on the history of lager in the US. So far the current batch is very promising. Should be relatively close from a historical prospective(although it would have been 6 row not German Pils for a base, I keep the Pils on hand so, much like the brewers at the time, I used what I had).

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1305404/bulin-s-original

First attempt was less than great, reworked the recipe after reading up a bit more on the history of lager in the US. So far the current batch is very promising. Should be relatively close from a historical prospective(although it would have been 6 row not German Pils for a base, I keep the Pils on hand so, much like the brewers at the time, I used what I had).

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1305404/bulin-s-original
So you decided to go a little lower on the IBUs, leaving out the corn, and no 6 row. I hope it comes out well, and I would love to hear what you think of it.

I started using table sugar a couple of bottlings ago and while I guess I don't taste a difference I have noted using less table sugar and getting more fizzy ...oh yeah and I didn't have to buy anything so an obvious plus for those self-proclaimed cheap bastards like me!

Bottled 54 (well, 53-1/2) bottles of Old Speckled Hen. Despite sitting the better part of a week at 45F, this was still VERY cloudy. I'm hoping it's chill haze that won't go away until it warms back up in the bottles. Bottled pretty cold, around 50F (10C). Will be stored around 68F (20C) so I hope I don't start hearing that not-so-awesome sound of caps coming off. Got 'em in my wooden crates now, so not much protection from a major "AW SH**". I'll lose all my Attaboys if I flood the laundry room/basement with sticky beer. There wasn't very much 'stuff' in the collection bulb either. I let it go nearly a weekn before I cleaned it, so perhaps tossed out a good bit of the S-04 cake. I still have about 3/4" cake in a pint mason jar.

Next up, another batch of Frankenbeer II with maybe a pinch less Magnum and maybe bump the Hallertau a little. I think I want to offset the bitter bite in favor of more flavoring hops. Perhaps I'll do another Oatmeal Stout after that, and I may follow that up with another brown. Should have plenty yeast saved up to re-pitch, but if they've gone off, I think I have plenty fresh yeast too. I'd do the Q4-22 brew (or at least try to) but already have a brown (just bottled today).

BTW, is there a list of all the quarterly brews somewhere? Wouldn't hurt my feelings to look through them to maybe test my skills a little. Maybe small batch time for that, though.

Bottled 54 (well, 53-1/2) bottles of Old Speckled Hen. Despite sitting the better part of a week at 45F, this was still VERY cloudy. I'm hoping it's chill haze that won't go away until it warms back up in the bottles. Bottled pretty cold, around 50F (10C). Will be stored around 68F (20C) so I hope I don't start hearing that not-so-awesome sound of caps coming off. Got 'em in my wooden crates now, so not much protection from a major "AW SH**". I'll lose all my Attaboys if I flood the laundry room/basement with sticky beer. There wasn't very much 'stuff' in the collection bulb either. I let it go nearly a weekn before I cleaned it, so perhaps tossed out a good bit of the S-04 cake. I still have about 3/4" cake in a pint mason jar.

Next up, another batch of Frankenbeer II with maybe a pinch less Magnum and maybe bump the Hallertau a little. I think I want to offset the bitter bite in favor of more flavoring hops. Perhaps I'll do another Oatmeal Stout after that, and I may follow that up with another brown. Should have plenty yeast saved up to re-pitch, but if they've gone off, I think I have plenty fresh yeast too. I'd do the Q4-22 brew (or at least try to) but already have a brown (just bottled today).

BTW, is there a list of all the quarterly brews somewhere? Wouldn't hurt my feelings to look through them to maybe test my skills a little. Maybe small batch time for that, though.
There's an entire subforum :) master list is at the top, and each recipe (should) have a dedicated thread for discussion and questions

https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/forums/brewers-friend-community-recipe-discussion.31/

So you decided to go a little lower on the IBUs, leaving out the corn, and no 6 row. I hope it comes out well, and I would love to hear what you think of it.
I used 40% corn why I needed to use rice hulls. Clarity of the gravity sample was good. Color was straw gold, aroma was like a slightly spicy PBR(in a good way). I’ll know more in 4-5 weeks when I taste it.

My wife and I just got home from a quick drive out to the “country,” which was all of about a twenty minute drive. On our drive, we got to see a pair of bald eagles in a tree next to the road. Our destination was a little farm (Detering Orchards) that does u-pick apples, pears, honey, canned fruits and vegetables, nuts, etc. The purpose of our visit was to pick up some fresh pressed local cider, along with anything else that might pique our interest.

We bought 3 gallons of pure, fresh, chilled cider at the bargain price of $8.49 per gallon, with the deal being buy two, get the third gallon for free. Another three for the price of two was butternut squash ($0.99 per pound, buy two squashes, get the third free) which we’ve been eating regularly. And last but not least was a quart of meadow foam honey, which is new to me since moving to Eugene.

So my plan is to make some primitive cider. Since I’ve read here that many prefer the use of ale yeasts to retain some residual sweetness, I’m thinking of using some leftover US-05 slurry from my recently bottled Janet’s Brown Ale. I wonder if I should spin up a starter, or just dump in some of the slurry? Any input would be considered.

I’m thinking of using some leftover US-05 slurry from my recently bottled Janet’s Brown Ale. I wonder if I should spin up a starter, or just dump in some of the slurry? Any input would be considered.
I think I just sprinkled a packet of -04 on a couple gallons of local pressed from up in Bigglersville ..home of Motts, Knoors and Snapple. I got some pretty dry and still stuff out of that

Back