Home Brewing 36 Years and Still Counting

Saarland

Premium Member
Reaction score
Greetings to all brewers worldwide. I started home brewing thirty six years ago on a whim with my first batch of extract. I liked brewing so much but did not care for the extract kits of those early years and very quickly made the investment to go all-grain. Since then never had a bad batch and never looked back :) My home brewery consist of investing lots of $$$ for all-grain brewing equipment and brew sculpture. I keep one batch n the fermenter between sessions most of the time. With the cost of beer in the markets now a days my wife said to brew more. How can I refuse with that support?

I quess I have it in my blood to brew! After two years of recent family history research through the pandemic and publishing the research for family members I learned my Great Great Grandfather owned and operated a commercial brewery in Germany. He and his wife owned and operated the brewery during WWI & WWII and through hard times. I discovered a couple of his recipes in old family documents along with a logo he and his wife has created for their bottles and swing tops. I brewed one of his beers earlier this year and came out great. Since then I have integrated his family logo to my brewery.

After five years of brewing I was invited to start a brewery in Japan. At that time there were very few isolated commercial breweries, mostly rice beer, and was given an opportunity to participate in developing a brand. With three small children at home it was a tough choice to make. I turned it down because I would be in country for more than two years and it would be tough to leave the wife with three young children while away.

For the past ten years I have created some great beers to share with my neighbors and friends. The best of those past ten years spent researching old 1800's British, European, and German recipe's of yesteryear. Develop them with modern ingredients, brew and share the product with my family, friends, and neighbors.

I have been using Brewers Friend for a few months now, converting many of my recipes from two other brewing programs that were lacking some features I found useful in B.F. Though with a couple tools that should be added to B.F. like a Hops Aging Calculator Tool would be a great addition to B.F. since many of us have hops in the freezer that would benefit the use of a tool at calculate remaining Alpha content due to age from storage before adding to recipe.

Cheers!
Richard

Greetings to all brewers worldwide. I started home brewing thirty six years ago on a whim with my first batch of extract. I liked brewing so much but did not care for the extract kits of those early years and very quickly made the investment to go all-grain. Since then never had a bad batch and never looked back :) My home brewery consist of investing lots of $$$ for all-grain brewing equipment and brew sculpture. I keep one batch n the fermenter between sessions most of the time. With the cost of beer in the markets now a days my wife said to brew more. How can I refuse with that support?

I quess I have it in my blood to brew! After two years of recent family history research through the pandemic and publishing the research for family members I learned my Great Great Grandfather owned and operated a commercial brewery in Germany. He and his wife owned and operated the brewery during WWI & WWII and through hard times. I discovered a couple of his recipes in old family documents along with a logo he and his wife has created for their bottles and swing tops. I brewed one of his beers earlier this year and came out great. Since then I have integrated his family logo to my brewery.

After five years of brewing I was invited to start a brewery in Japan. At that time there were very few isolated commercial breweries, mostly rice beer, and was given an opportunity to participate in developing a brand. With three small children at home it was a tough choice to make. I turned it down because I would be in country for more than two years and it would be tough to leave the wife with three young children while away.

For the past ten years I have created some great beers to share with my neighbors and friends. The best of those past ten years spent researching old 1800's British, European, and German recipe's of yesteryear. Develop them with modern ingredients, brew and share the product with my family, friends, and neighbors.

I have been using Brewers Friend for a few months now, converting many of my recipes from two other brewing programs that were lacking some features I found useful in B.F. Though with a couple tools that should be added to B.F. like a Hops Aging Calculator Tool would be a great addition to B.F. since many of us have hops in the freezer that would benefit the use of a tool at calculate remaining Alpha content due to age from storage before adding to recipe.

Cheers!
Richard
Wowie Richard that is some brewing history right there Man.
I hope to hear more from you.
Welcome to the Forum.
Cheers

Yes, welcome Richard. It will be good to see your contributions here.

Welcome Richard!
Sounds like we can learn a lot from you.
Hope you enjoy it here :cool:

Richard, I look forward to hearing a few good brewing stories from you. Cheers!

Welcome to Brewers Friend Richard!

Back