I brewed today!

Brewed my Dark Walnut Porter today. First from-scratch recipe ever. The recipe is inspired by a Black Walnut Stout from a local brewer and a Belgian yeast from a crazy Scotsman in England! ;) Thank you Alan! Brewday went well. Beautiful day. Started out in a t-shirt even. It's amazing how warm 42°F (5°C) feels near the end of a long cold winter.

Dark Belgian Porter 2-27-2022.jpg

I brewed Ben's Dark & Mild today.... Using my new Mash Tun. It worked out well and was within 1 point of Pre-Boil SG.
Grains ready to go:
upload_2022-3-12_21-32-21.png

In the new Mash Tun
upload_2022-3-12_21-33-15.png

Sparging...
upload_2022-3-12_21-34-20.png

Just about to boil
upload_2022-3-12_21-35-53.png

First and second runnings...
upload_2022-3-12_21-40-13.png

Now in the fermentation fridge until tomorrow after chilling to 30C but aiming for 22C overnight. Tomorrow get the yeast.

Last edited:
I haven't convinced anyone to brew an oyster stout yet eh? :D
I’m researching, be patient. Today I found these subjects at Total Wine, not all that I was looking for. I need to find a better bottle shop.
image.jpg
As you can see, I am going to try the Henhouse oyster stout to see if I like it. I hope I do. Never yet have I brewed a stout, so it will be something new for me.

I’m researching, be patient. Today I found these subjects at Total Wine, not all that I was looking for. I need to find a better bottle shop.
View attachment 19769 As you can see, I am going to try the Henhouse oyster stout to see if I like it. I hope I do. Never yet have I brewed a stout, so it will be something new for me.
Oh dang I'm jealous!! I would love to try the Henhouse. Obsidian is delicious, everything Deschutes makes is great. Never actually tried Old Rasputin, but I know it's an absolute favorite in the bay area. Please let us know what you think! :)

Back