Next brew

Steve Ruch

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I'll be doing this either Thursday or Friday.
Screenshot_20220117-090035.png

Curious: Why are you putting wheat into it? I'm working on one myself, similar, but Carafa III instead of Midnight Wheat....

Interesting! I love a good Dunkel. Have you pitched two lager strains before? What does that give you in terms of the flavor of the final beer?
Yes I have, mostly because I didn't have enough of either one by itself.
None of the lagers I brew have yeast driven flavors so not much.

To get the base grain amount up to 6.5 gallons and I figured what the heck, why not?
I have been putting a little white wheat in all my brew lately. Seems to help head retention. Just don't go overboard or it will haze up on ya

Looks more like a schwarzbier to me. If I was doing a dunkel, the majority of the base malt would be munich.
I cheeped out using more two row and added some aromatic malt to somewhat compensate. Dunkel or Schwartzbier it's going to be good.
The mash is going.

Attachments

• IMG_20220120_090042.jpg
    IMG_20220120_090042.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 35
Yeah, just looking at that :)
So just cling wtap to secure a good seal of the pot. Why didn't I think of that :rolleyes:

I always give the grain bag a squeeze. After holding the bag above the kettle until the flow slows to a trickle, I put the bag in a colander over a smaller pot. Using my mash spoon, I press (squeeze) on the grain bag, working all around. Usually the sound of drops is the indicator. When I hear no regular drips, then it’s game over. Usually, I recover 20+ ounces of sweet wort, which goes in the boil kettle. It only takes a few more minutes, and adds just that little bit more.

I always give the grain bag a squeeze. After holding the bag above the kettle until the flow slows to a trickle, I put the bag in a colander over a smaller pot. Using my mash spoon, I press (squeeze) on the grain bag, working all around. Usually the sound of drops is the indicator. When I hear no regular drips, then it’s game over. Usually, I recover 20+ ounces of sweet wort, which goes in the boil kettle. It only takes a few more minutes, and adds just that little bit more.
I did that on my first BIAB and got okay efficiency. On this one I also poured water over the grain bag three times and got way better efficiency.

Back