Show your DIY Projects

Did you really make that??
Yup, with the instruction of a young fellow named Ethan Harty. We started with a piece of bar like this but I forgot to take a picture before we punched a hole in it.
upload_2022-1-11_9-53-40.png

This is after we finished the shaping but before the grinding and heat treating.
upload_2022-1-11_9-54-34.png

Yup, with the instruction of a young fellow named Ethan Harty. We started with a piece of bar like this but I forgot to take a picture before we punched a hole in it.
View attachment 18954

This is after we finished the shaping but before the grinding and heat treating.
View attachment 18955
I like your maker's mark imprint, that's awesome!

I think it's a little over detailed for the size but it works pretty good and is very distinctive. I need to put a handle on the stamp so I stop smacking my fingers while I try to hit it.

Also, I've been sore for 2 days now after swinging a 13lb sledge for hours.

I think it's a little over detailed for the size but it works pretty good and is very distinctive. I need to put a handle on the stamp so I stop smacking my fingers while I try to hit it.

Also, I've been sore for 2 days now after swinging a 13lb sledge for hours.
Best way to work out ;)

Thanks! I have a bad habit of second guessing myself and trying for perfection which I'm slowly breaking myself of. I think I'm going to buy a couple tools to make it so I can make another hammer at home and try it on my own. Will have to use a smaller hammer but should still be educational.

Thanks! I have a bad habit of second guessing myself and trying for perfection which I'm slowly breaking myself of. I think I'm going to buy a couple tools to make it so I can make another hammer at home and try it on my own. Will have to use a smaller hammer but should still be educational.
Um, don't you need a hammer to make a hammer?

Well that or a big rock I suppose.

My biggest hammer is 16lb on the stamp on it, it's bloody heavy and fun to control.

When I worked in strip mines, the phrase was if it doesn't fit, get a bigger hammer.
similar to my motto. "if at first you don't succeed, you need a bigger hammer"

Back