Minbari's Kegerator Build

I don't have enough care for those things. Always end up making a gouge that ends up costing me more time to sand out than persevering with the orbital. And those floor scale belt sanders, I can really make a mess with those.

Yeah I use an orbital it takes forever on the rough stuff.
Hey I was watching this clip on woodworker smoothing the surface of an rough sawn slab with a router with a massive bit on.
I'm gonna give this a try next time I need to really RIP into some timber.
You just have to really watch on those. They can kick like a mule.

I don't have one, but a planer works best for that

Hey I was watching this clip on woodworker smoothing the surface of an rough sawn slab with a router with a massive bit on.
I'm gonna give this a try next time I need to really RIP into some timber.
If you make yourself some 'rails', flat boards to guide the depth of the router, you can plane the surface (in sections) pretty flat. But in strips maybe 150mm wide ...

P
If you make yourself some 'rails', flat boards to guide the depth of the router, you can plane the surface (in sections) pretty flat. But in strips maybe 150mm wide ...
Pretty much what I saw on the you tube.
When I was doing my bar header I just got stuck in with 60grit working my way down to 250grit in the end but it took hours and hours and swathes of sandpaper.

I rekon about a hundred passes with one of them route bits on a sled type contraption (guide rail either side of the work piece).
Then a final sand anyhow I'm derailing the thread...:rolleyes:

Ooopps. Guess where the tap tower is gonna go now?
20211015_140443.jpg

Am I seeing the effects of too much sanding? Ugh.

Am I seeing the effects of too much sanding? Ugh.
Yup. Sucks. But other than redoing the whole piece. (About $50) i will just hide it with the tap tower in that corner

Yup. Sucks. But other than redoing the whole piece. (About $50) i will just hide it with the tap tower in that corner
Hmmm. I wonder just how good you can get with some paint/stain and a very small brush. Think you can make it look like oak?
How about routing (mortising) out a small patch and filling it with somewhat-grain-matched wood?
Or paint a small decoration right there?

Or, as you say: Just put the tower there. :D

(Just leave room for a drip tray beneath.)
Hey! Put a drip tray over it!

Hmmm. I wonder just how good you can get with some paint/stain and a very small brush. Think you can make it look like oak?
How about routing (mortising) out a small patch and filling it with somewhat-grain-matched wood?
Or paint a small decoration right there?

Or, as you say: Just put the tower there. :D

(Just leave room for a drip tray beneath.)
Hey! Put a drip tray over it!
All interesting ideas, but that is where the tap tower was going to go anyway. Just gonna make it bigger to cover it lol.

I have 3 round drip trays to go in front of the taps, i don't think they will go there

ok, I fucked it up complettely now. gonna have to start over on it, lol. oh well.:eek::rolleyes:

Noooo!
Ply will do that too you if you rub away the veneer it's an evolution sometimes these builds...
Plenty of mistakes to be made it's how you hide them and make it look like that's what you were ment to do all along right:p!

Yup, not the end of the world, just irritating.
I talked to my brother, who builds cabinets, gave me some pointers.
Probably along the lines of "don't do that", as I'd expect from my brothers...

Back