A Kind of Oktoberfest

I have not made a Festbier style before. It looks to be a bit paler than a Marzen. What else distinguishes this style?
I've read that Marzen was the traditional Oktoberfest beer, but as the festival got bigger and more and more tourists attended, they introduced Festbier-style which were lighter and more approachable for the masses and less alcohol to prevent fewer drunken mishaps at the festivals :)

IMO, US-05 is a terrible choice for anything that's supposed to resemble a German style beer. A lot of people use it for a "Kolsch" with pretty lame results. There's just too much ester contribution.
Even at ale fermentation temps, the dry lager yeasts will give better results. I've used S-04 with reasonable results and it flocs better than either the lager yeasts or US-05. I don't really like the Kveik beers that I've had but I think it might be better than US-05 for any sort of Fake-toberfest ale. :)
Of course, once the recipe includes Centennial, it's out of the range too. I think you've got a fine Amber Ale there. :)

IMO, US-05 is a terrible choice for anything that's supposed to resemble a German style beer. A lot of people use it for a "Kolsch" with pretty lame results. There's just too much ester contribution.
Even at ale fermentation temps, the dry lager yeasts will give better results. I've used S-04 with reasonable results and it flocs better than either the lager yeasts or US-05. I don't really like the Kveik beers that I've had but I think it might be better than US-05 for any sort of Fake-toberfest ale. :)
Of course, once the recipe includes Centennial, hop flavor and aroma is out of the traditional range too. I think you've got a fine American Amber Ale there. :)

I've brewed with Omega Yeast 071 4 times now and from my taste results I find absolutely no flavor from the yeast, as a matter of fact all of the beers I have brewed have had some flavor stripped, and the recipes need to be adjusted for added flavor, but it does make a great clean tasting beer similar to a lager, another thing I've noticed is the yeast does not compact hard and remains fluffy when stored making it hard to save, just my thoughts hope this helps

oh and there is a slight full round texture to the flavor, giving it a slight body at first until the yeast completely drops and that can take as long as a slow carb takes in kegs

Of course, once the recipe includes Centennial, it's out of the range too. I think you've got a fine Amber Ale there. :)
Whose recipe are you referencing here? Also the title of the thread is "A kind of Oktoberfest" not "true to style authentic Oktoberfest." And the great news for you is you don't have to drink any of these beers :D

Whose recipe are you referencing here? Also the title of the thread is "A kind of Oktoberfest" not "true to style authentic Oktoberfest." And the great news for you is you don't have to drink any of these beers :D
I'm referencing the OP's recipe. My opinion is that, based on the recipe, there's not much that resembles an Oktoberfest, but rather more like an American Amber Ale. It's a great fall beer style but why bother referencing Oktoberfest at all?
Yes, I don't have to drink the OP's beer (though I suspect it would be quite good and I'd enjoy it if I did) and you don't have to respond to comments not directed at you. :D

Back