Best yeast for the Wrath of Chaun dry Irish Stout

Sebrina

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am going to make an Irish Stout. I am learning that I should know more about selecting yeast. I received the ingredients today and I ordered the liquid Imperial A10 Darkness yeast. This beer is literally ready in 7 days! I find that impossible yet I remember when I made beer from extract that the ales could be bottled in 10 days. But I do remember them tasting a little green at first. Does anyone have an opinion about the yeast? I am going to have to learn how to do the liquid yeast so I will be watching videos but since this is a fast turn around I want to be sure I have the best yeast for the job. Truthfully, I picked it bec it had the coolest name. :) I don't yet know the difference. Thanks for your help.
Safale S-04
Liquid:
Wyeast 1028 London Ale
Imperial A10 Darkness
Omega OYL-005 Irish Ale
Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale

Hi,
I am going to make an Irish Stout. I am learning that I should know more about selecting yeast. I received the ingredients today and I ordered the liquid Imperial A10 Darkness yeast. This beer is literally ready in 7 days! I find that impossible yet I remember when I made beer from extract that the ales could be bottled in 10 days. But I do remember them tasting a little green at first. Does anyone have an opinion about the yeast? I am going to have to learn how to do the liquid yeast so I will be watching videos but since this is a fast turn around I want to be sure I have the best yeast for the job. Truthfully, I picked it bec it had the coolest name. :) I don't yet know the difference. Thanks for your help.
Safale S-04
Liquid:
Wyeast 1028 London Ale
Imperial A10 Darkness
Omega OYL-005 Irish Ale
Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale
I don't see why not if you want a quick turn around Kviek is your friend.
I've only used s04 so can't comment on the rest. They all sound tasty.
Most ale yeast like it around 18-20c keep em in that range and you'll be apples.
But a standard ale yeast fermenting and drinking in seven days you prob want to ramp the temp once primary fermentation is through. That'll help the yeast continue to fire.
Imperial yeast do 200billion pitches so this will help with a vigerous fermentation.

Some of my basic fermentations are ready for packaging in 7 days. Most are more like 10 days. Into the keg, CO2 and drink the next day.

I've used S-04 and it will turn around in 7 days easy but I find the flavor a little fruity until it "lagers" for a bit. Nottingham is another possibility for dry yeast and I think it has a cleaner flavor.I've always wanted to try White Labs 004 Irish Ale yeast.

I'm with Ben,, my last 2 batches of stout has been with Kveik, Imperial A44...not particularly dry but quick and clean!

I have really liked the wyeast 1098 for the stout I make.

BRY-97 is my go-to yeast for a Dry Stout.

Of the ones you have listed, I like 1084 and have never been impressed with S-04. Not familiar with the rest.

Good luck! A dry Stout is my absolute favorite beer.

The last dry stout I did was brewed with W34/70 in the mid 50s. It came out good.
Interesting to ferment a Stout (ale) with a lager yeast, I would have never thought of that

The last dry stout I did was brewed with W34/70 in the mid 50s. It came out good.
Seems like it would perfectly in style. There really isn't a strong yeast presence in the flavor profile - nothing but clean cramelly malt, moderately strong hop bitterness and plenty of roastiness with a very clean finish.
Irish Red Ale will also do nicely with a lager yeast - the style is essentially identical to an Octoberfest.

BRY-97 is my go-to yeast for a Dry Stout.

Of the ones you have listed, I like 1084 and have never been impressed with S-04. Not familiar with the rest.

Good luck! A dry Stout is my absolute favorite beer.
I had never heard of BRY-97 until now. Sounds like something I'd use though! I've been enjoying my beers more since moving to yeasts that have some esters but are pretty neutral in the ranges I tend to ferment in - 55-65. I'll keep this on my radar - especially since its a dry yeast.

Sounds great for a stout - I was personally thinking of Nottingham much like @Josh Hughes but then again, Notty and 34/70 are pretty much my house yeasts :)

It was the first yeast I used, works well.

Back