Primitive cider (again)

I've used safcider.
I quite liked it, but then it got too hot and I moved to kveik.

On another note:
Just opened a cider of my last batch and it is carbonated but only a little little bit.
There is not much yeast left in the bottle, so maybe I let it in primary for longer than normal. (Need to check my notes, but I think I did).
It's only a sample size of one, so I shouldn't jump to conclusions :rolleyes:

Started another batch today with a different brand cider, some nutrient, kosher salt (why not eh?), and a few grams of Safale S33. I had the yeast leftover from another brew and wanted a cider with a higher FG. We'll see what happens
Shalom Cider?

Our cider batch from Monday 4/26 is still bubbling away, a steady stream. Hopefully, we are closer to the end, so we can get this in the bottles to condition.

I did a 2 gal batch with EC1118 yeast. It dried out the cider but I back sweetened with frozen concentrate in the keg and hit it with CO2. Served it up with a bit of cinnamon and lemon slice. Folks liked it very much. I may drop a couple of cinnamon sticks in the keg.

Started another batch today with a different brand cider, some nutrient, kosher salt (why not eh?), and a few grams of Safale S33. I had the yeast leftover from another brew and wanted a cider with a higher FG. We'll see what happens

I've gone back to ale yeasts having tried cider yeasts. I'm finding that fermentation seems way less aggressive with the US05 and finishes higher which is retaining some sweetness. The cider yeast was ripping through everything in sight and finishing too dry for me. Ale yeasts seem like a really good cider solution to me.

One of my first batches of cider was done on the trub of a blond beer.
Worked a dream ;)

My cider eventually sort of carbed. Wpuld have liked it with a bit more fizz.
Still got another small batch in the fermenter and after that it is time for a new yeast. Voss doesnt like the cold

One of my first batches of cider was done on the trub of a blond beer.
Worked a dream ;)

My cider eventually sort of carbed. Wpuld have liked it with a bit more fizz.
Still got another small batch in the fermenter and after that it is time for a new yeast. Voss doesnt like the cold
Well there's always bread yeast :D!

Tried that as well!
It actually worked, even at 36+ oC
But needed a long long time in the fridge to become drinkable (couple of months)

image.jpg
Here is the leftover from bottling our second batch of cider. Like the first batch, this used EC-1118 and finished dry at 0.995. Cold crashed for a couple days. We like the idea of trying an ale yeast next time, and have a partial packet of S-04 ready.

First sample of the latest batch: brewed with S33 ale yeast and Safeway brand apple cider with a pinch each of yeast nutrient and salt. It smells like a Flintstone's vitamin a little bit lol. Attenuated 100% so it's quite dry, but a lot of apple flavor and aroma that gives it some apparent sweetness. Nice mouthfeel and carbonation, finishes slightly bitter/tangy/tannin-y.

It's drinkable, so it's a success lol cheers!
20210511_131519.jpg

First sample of the latest batch: brewed with S33 ale yeast and Safeway brand apple cider with a pinch each of yeast nutrient and salt. It smells like a Flintstone's vitamin a little bit lol. Attenuated 100% so it's quite dry, but a lot of apple flavor and aroma that gives it some apparent sweetness. Nice mouthfeel and carbonation, finishes slightly bitter/tangy/tannin-y.

It's drinkable, so it's a success lol cheers!
View attachment 15711
Curious, why add salt?

Back