Primitive cider (again)

Weather depending, i should be bottling today or tomorrow.....

Bottles cleaned with some H2O2 and rinsed twice with lukewarm boiled water.
Cider temp was 30 oC, only a little floculation. Bottled 10x 500 ml PET bottles, 3.5 gr sugar per bottle.
Only had my taste buds for testing....
Not sweet, a bit tart maybe, felt some little fizz on my tongue. Maybe not yet fully fermented, or already starting to work on the bottling sugar ;) (tasted some from an overfilled bottle).
Poured another 6 ltr applejuice on the remainder in the fermenting bucket and added a couple of kaffir lime leaves and a bit of sugar.
The leaves came out of the freezer, tore them in pieces and threw some hot hot water over them. Plus a little sugar to compensate for the extra water.
Fermenter is back in the coolbox, accompanied by the 10 pet bottles
We'll know in about 1-2 weeks time

Bottles my two side by sides this morn
20210117_073927.jpg

Added some geletin.
Added 1ml 88% lactic acid to both.
Can't really tell from photo but Framgarden cider has flocked more wow.
They got burst carbed and shook at 40psi
Now their sitting in keezer on 10psi till the clear more.

Update:
Carbonation seemed fine in 5 days and moved 2 random bottles to the fridge. Tasted 2 days later.
And I really like this cider. No off flavours, just very drinkable.
Moved the remaining bottles to the fridge as well.
Then, drank one of those after it had cooled down, but on the same day.
This one had a slight off flavour that I also had in my previous batches (at that time I only had a freezer, so could only cool bottles down for a couple of hours).
I thought I noticed that with some bottles that I did manage to cool down for a couple of days. Glad to have had that confirmed.

Next batch is ready for bottling, but I have no more apple juice. So I may have to pour the slurry/debris into a glass jar and keep in the fridge.
Or just throw and start a new batch from scratch, when I get apple juice again.
Or find something else that I can play with and ferment. Maybe rice?

Whatever sugars or starches are available can be tried. I am not sure where you are exactly, but surely the local area has something common and inexpensive.

That said, some things shouldn't be fermented. But rice wine is a thing.

Y'all are making this seem pretty good, I might check out my apple juice options next time I'm at the grocery store...

Y'all are making this seem pretty good, I might check out my apple juice options next time I'm at the grocery store...
You can ferment right in the apple juice container (it's sterile or near to or it would ferment on the shelf).
Just makesure it's just juice no preservatives.

When ferment just leaven the lid loose I tighten lid untill it bites then turn back until I can squeeze bottle and air comes out.

Just drop a bit of yeast in each or different yeasts to taste different results.
I use nutrient to help fermentation.

You can ferment right in the apple juice container (it's sterile or near to or it would ferment on the shelf).
Just makesure it's just juice no preservatives.

When ferment just leaven the lid loose I tighten lid untill it bites then turn back until I can squeeze bottle and air comes out.

Just drop a bit of yeast in each or different yeasts to taste different results.
I use nutrient to help fermentation.
I've got a couple slurries in the fridge that I don't want to store anymore, why not make some cider before I chuck em right? I've got S04 and US05, and a couple grams of Kveik in the freezer (I don't think I could keep the kveik warm enough this time of year, unless my snake wanted to share her heater...)
In the bottle sounds great, if I can get an airlock on there, should I? I've also seen a pierced balloon type setup. I've got yeast nutrient on hand

I've got a couple slurries in the fridge that I don't want to store anymore, why not make some cider before I chuck em right? I've got S04 and US05, and a couple grams of Kveik in the freezer (I don't think I could keep the kveik warm enough this time of year, unless my snake wanted to share her heater...)
In the bottle sounds great, if I can get an airlock on there, should I? I've also seen a pierced balloon type setup. I've got yeast nutrient on hand
No air lock needed the lid works better IMO opinion. Air locks are just for visual effects oh and for keeping bugs out your lid will do that just fine;).

I used slurry for my two earlier in this thread.
A little nutrient will help yeast get the job done.
Oxygenated by shaking crap out of bottles.

As Ben says :)
It is so easy!
My juice comes in tetra packs. I'm not sure if they would hold the pressure!
And yes, look for juice that is not in the cooling. The ones I use have vitamin C as preservative. I dont use yeast nutrient and it seems to work just fine!

As Ben says :)
It is so easy!
My juice comes in tetra packs. I'm not sure if they would hold the pressure!
And yes, look for juice that is not in the cooling. The ones I use have vitamin C as preservative. I dont use yeast nutrient and it seems to work just fine!
Vitamin C Ascorbic Acid is also a great anti oxidant ;). I'm looking to use some post ferment in sure you can add to the boil as well.

Ok so did a side by side this arvo all in the name of science :rolleyes:.
20210126_161653.jpg

Ok they both need a little more time.

34/70 (left) me -smell Beery - clean flavour.
Wifey said woah smells like sewerage :eek: (Sulphury) she didn't want a bar of it!
Framgarden me - Citrusy aroma - dry crisp- brighter tastes more cidery.
MISSUS - smells like vodka (I guess that's her only other comparable flavour lol) but she liked it more than 34/70 but still didn't want to drink it.

I preferred the framgarden fermented cider as well. A little more time should rid the 34/70 batch of its sulphur I did ferment this at 17c and being slurry from previous batch it went from beer to cider so probably stressed the yeast a bit.
Funny 34/70 doesn't normally produce a lot of sulphur I've found compared to other lager yeasts.

I think the Framgarden cider has potential I'd happily swig a glass or two before moving onto beer.

I'm going to get some apple juice and back sweeten them both now I've made more room and do another (wife test) with them both.:D
I'll up the carbonation too that was a little low.

Ok so did a side by side this arvo all in the name of science :rolleyes:.
View attachment 13878
Ok they both need a little more time.

34/70 (left) me -smell Beery - clean flavour.
Wifey said woah smells like sewerage :eek: (Sulphury) she didn't want a bar of it!
Framgarden me - Citrusy aroma - dry crisp- brighter tastes more cidery.
MISSUS - smells like vodka (I guess that's her only other comparable flavour lol) but she liked it more than 34/70 but still didn't want to drink it.

I preferred the framgarden fermented cider as well. A little more time should rid the 34/70 batch of its sulphur I did ferment this at 17c and being slurry from previous batch it went from beer to cider so probably stressed the yeast a bit.
Funny 34/70 doesn't normally produce a lot of sulphur I've found compared to other lager yeasts.

I think the Framgarden cider has potential I'd happily swig a glass or two before moving onto beer.

I'm going to get some apple juice and back sweeten them both now I've made more room and do another (wife test) with them both.:D
I'll up the carbonation too that was a little low.
There's a compound, I can't remember what it's called, that we sniff in sensory training. Wife says it smells like garbage, I can't smell it at all. You may have some of that working in there and it's from infection. Might be sulfur, as you say. I generally use wine yeast in cider, I like the German strains for their fruitiness.

Back