Anyone used fermentis s-04 yeast?

Rudibrew

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm planning to brew a ale with s-04 yeast, anyone have experience with it, concerning the max fermentation temp of 20c deg and also how quick was your fermentation time
Thanks.

I use S04. It's a great yeast. I have pitched it at 18-19C and as it ferments it spikes to 23-24C with no problems. Even with a slight under pitch the yeast is very fast; 3-4 days for an average gravity beer (1.045-.60). At colder temps the yeast is very clean and even when it spikes to 23C there is no much in the way of esters. The key I think is to pitch it at 17-18C and let it go. If your ambient temperature is 20C or so you'll be fine. High gravity beers (+1.065) will need more attention to keep the spike temperature at a reasonable level.

^^ what he said. :)
I have used US-4 a lot, mostly at ~17°C, but have even had it ferment out at close to 10°C. Took awhile and turned out way too dry, but still hit 80% attenuation.
At 20°C it is still really clean though, and it definitely helps boost fermentation time.

Last edited:
I just finished off a keg of Old Ale made with S-04. Dry finish , but not overattenuated. I had an OG of 1.069 and an FG of 1.009. I held the temperature at 19 C and fermented for 12 days before transferring and aging in the keg for another 6 weeks. I used 1 packet for a 5 gallon batch.

I pitched the yeast while the wort was still cooling. Wort was at 22 C when I pitched.

3 of every 4 I’ve brewed I used s04. I keep it 62-66 F for the first 4-5 days then upper 60s for a week. It ferments quickly usually starts to drop after 4 days for me. It’s pretty clean for an English style yeast.

Agree with all of the above. I find S-04 to be very clean, boring even. But in a good way, if that makes sense.

S04 is great! I've used it for pales mostly around 65-70F, it usually takes 2-3 days to finish. My favorite part of S04 is the way the yeast hits the deck when it's done, super floccuated and clear! I did not enjoy it as much fermented above 70F

thank yyou guys,my ambient temp in house is typically 26deg cel,so i guess im gonna have to keep it cool with a wet towel.

Have you tried kveik? It would be happy at 26C and higher.

ordered that,but was sold out when i went to collect.
how fast is a fermentation with s04?
with this alcohol ban i need to turn around a brew fast,lol

I just did an English IPA with it, came out very nice! It's a fast fermentor, a single packet chewed through my 3 gallons of wort in 3 days.

ordered that,but was sold out when i went to collect.
how fast is a fermentation with s04?
with this alcohol ban i need to turn around a brew fast,lol
That's a bummer. I've had S04 finish a 1.5 gallon batch in 3 days, like Nosy said. Another high temp yeast is saison yeast, if you are interested in that style.

oh crap,just found out its pilsen grain!
gotta revise my recipe
would this yeast work with the grain?

meh,my ale was supposed to be with the pale grain,so i ordered southern passion hops with it...
aargh,it will end up as beer

oh crap,just found out its pilsen grain!
gotta revise my recipe
would this yeast work with the grain?
The yeast really doesn't care... Unless you did a side by side taste test with the same grain made with pale 2-row, I doubt you could tell the difference. Just boil long enough to take care of the DMS.

I like S-04 but I like to ferment it a little lower and slower, if possible. I find that at high temps with some malts it wants to produce a little cherry-like flavor that gets in the way for me. At slightly lower temp - 62-64F - it's a little more smooth and with caramel malts can produce a nice subtle but rich butterscotch, malty flavor.

And mine is carbonated ;)
With normal table sugar. Just a bit per bottle and in PET bottles, so bottling is a breeze

Back