Dubbel, Quad, or something else?

AGbrewer

Premium Member
Reaction score
What category should this beer be listed under?

I feel like it is a stout without all the dark grains or some kind of kitchen sink type beer.

Statistically, it's a bit higher in both gravity and IBU than a Dubbel. It matches up on ABV, gravity, color, and bitterness with a Belgian Dark Strong Ale. It's on the low end of each of these, but well within the style guidelines.

Was really curious if the malt bill and hops were on par with what someone would expect from an Dubbel.

Was really curious if the malt bill and hops were on par with what someone would expect from an Dubbel.
I like the Victory and Biscuit, as well as the aromatic. For base malt on my Belgians, I use a Vienna Malt with some 2-row for good measure on conversion. I like using a bit of wheat and Caravienne for head retention.

The one ingredient that I think is key to the dark Belgian beer is Special B malt. 120 Lovibond and very rich flavors.

I like the Victory and Biscuit, as well as the aromatic. For base malt on my Belgians, I use a Vienna Malt with some 2-row for good measure on conversion. I like using a bit of wheat and Caravienne for head retention.

The one ingredient that I think is key to the dark Belgian beer is Special B malt. 120 Lovibond and very rich flavors.

I may try the Vienna instead of the Maris Otter. Also may sub out the Rolled Oats for the Caravienne. Just to see how it goes. I wonder how different my base recipe would be if I simply added some Special B to it. Wonder if it would completely change it. Hmm...this sounds like a good time for an exbeeriment!

I may try the Vienna instead of the Maris Otter. Also may sub out the Rolled Oats for the Caravienne. Just to see how it goes. I wonder how different my base recipe would be if I simply added some Special B to it. Wonder if it would completely change it. Hmm...this sounds like a good time for an exbeeriment!
A little bit of Special B goes a long way. I would suggest 1/2 to 1 pound for a 5 gallon batch, depending on what else is in the recipe.

A little bit of Special B goes a long way. I would suggest 1/2 to 1 pound for a 5 gallon batch, depending on what else is in the recipe.

Right on. I would probably just add the Special B to my current recipe. Just to see how the current recipe holds with the addition of the Special B.

this was the batch i ended up sucking about 1 liter of starsan into on accident. forgot to change out the blowoff tube before i did the cold crash.

i'm not crying! you're crying!

Hoping I won't forget to remove the blow off tube again this time.
So what I do is to only allow the very end of the blowoff tube be submerged in the StarSan, like 1/4 inch or so; if there is suck-back, it can only draw a few milliliters of liquid up until the level drops and air is sucked in. This empties the blowoff tube (1/2" silicone) and restarts the process.
I work on the presumption that air is less bad that StarSan in the fermenter.

So what I do is to only allow the very end of the blowoff tube be submerged in the StarSan, like 1/4 inch or so; if there is suck-back, it can only draw a few milliliters of liquid up until the level drops and air is sucked in. This empties the blowoff tube (1/2" silicone) and restarts the process.
I work on the presumption that air is less bad that StarSan in the fermenter.
Replace the blow off tube with a fresh s type vent. They won't let starsan in when chilling. Air yes, but no chance of starsan or water or vodka, whatever you chose for a liquid.

I don't own an airlock. Don't have a need for one.

Replace the blow off tube with a fresh s type vent. They won't let starsan in when chilling. Air yes, but no chance of starsan or water or vodka, whatever you chose for a liquid.

That's what I normally do, just forgot to do it.

I do like the idea of adding a different liquid. Might consider a cheap bourbon as most of the beer I brew ends up being a bourbon barrel aged version anyways.

That's what I normally do, just forgot to do it.

I do like the idea of adding a different liquid. Might consider a cheap bourbon as most of the beer I brew ends up being a bourbon barrel aged version anyways.

That's a good idea - I've sucked in vodka before without ever noticing.... You could use starsan at the onset and change out once fermentation slows down.

OH - and your 2nd iteration looked liked a very different beer to me. Maybe not "very" but certainly a bit less complex - the first had 9 different malts and the 2nd only like 5.... 6.8% biscut/victory to just 3.4% victory.... Also, starting gravity was much higher - I wonder if it'll finish as dry as the first.

I'm interested to hear how the two compare.

- I'm with @Bubba Wade on the special b! Such a tasty malt - figs and raisins! A little does go a long way.

OH - and your 2nd iteration looked liked a very different beer to me. Maybe not "very" but certainly a bit less complex - the first had 9 different malts and the 2nd only like 5.... 6.8% biscut/victory to just 3.4% victory.... Also, starting gravity was much higher - I wonder if it'll finish as dry as the first.

I'm interested to hear how the two compare.

- I'm with @Bubba Wade on the special b! Such a tasty malt - figs and raisins! A little does go a long way.

Yeah, kinda had to improvise due to wanting to brew and not having what I needed on hand. I'll probably circle back to the original recipe and do it again with and then without the Special B just to see the difference.

I typcially do 1 or 2 beers for at least 10 iterations so that I can nail down the recipe. This one is going to be one of those types of beers.

So this beer turned out really good. Normally don't like the beer that I make this much, but this one really hit the mark. I'm having trouble staying out of it.

I've got the 3rd iteration in the fermenter right now. No idea what it's going to be like because the temp got away from me and ended up around 83 degrees on day 2! Might be gasoline, but I'm gonna bottle it up and see.

Best Beer I've made: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1115772/trappist-2x4-002

Got a little hot, still in fermenter: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1122911/trapp-2x4-003

Back