Community recipe?

Mine never got to 1.010, stopped at 1.021. Really rich flavor, though.
Oh take into consideration I didnt hot my 1.045 target on brew day it came in 3 points shy @1.042 i was up on volume 22lt into keg.
I've been pinching 2lt of wort for starters and have got used to the extra volume so my fault for not believing the BF calculator...

I'm still toying with the idea of brewing Shady's Bohemian Lager. I modified the recipe to use ingredients available at my LHBS. Now I'm down to yeast. Either Fermentis SafLager 34/70 (dry) or Wyeast 2000 Budvar (liquid). I've heard a lot good things about 34/70 but, wondering about the amount of yeast I need. Do most of you just buy multiple packs (I figure I would need 4 packs ($26)) or do you buy one ($6.50) and make a starter?

I brewed it with 2 packs of 34/70 pitched direct the first time I made it(6 gallon batch) and it came out really nice. Only reason I stopped using 34/70 is my Dad is allergic to it.

Oh take into consideration I didnt hot my 1.045 target on brew day it came in 3 points shy @1.042 i was up on volume 22lt into keg.
I've been pinching 2lt of wort for starters and have got used to the extra volume so my fault for not believing the BF calculator...
I used a three-liter starter of one of the Bohemian Lager yeasts, can't remember and am too lazy to look it up. I ended up with a high-carb beer at roughly 4% ABV which, reading about the style, is to be expected - the yeasts tend to under attenuate.

@Trialben so, I'm reading the report you posted, Fast Ferment Test. It looks like you pitched on 12/1/20 & on 12/3 you were at 1.010. 3 days from 1.042 to 1.010? Wow, obvious question is what yeast were you testing & what temp?
After 10 days I went from 1.048 to 1.027 @ 50F (10C?). We're aiming for 1.007, Nosy stopped at 1.021 so maybe I'm closer than I thought I was. I'm planning on holding for another couple of days.

I brewed it with 2 packs of 34/70 pitched direct the first time I made it(6 gallon batch) and it came out really nice. Only reason I stopped using 34/70 is my Dad is allergic to it.

Only 2 packets of 34/70 for a 6 gallon lager? That makes the decision much easier. I was thinking at least 3; and 4 to be safe.

LHBS availability was the deciding factor for all substitutions. Since they don't have Blackprinz (at least their website says they don't) I still need to find a substitute for that too.
upload_2020-12-17_14-37-43.png

@Trialben so, I'm reading the report you posted, Fast Ferment Test. It looks like you pitched on 12/1/20 & on 12/3 you were at 1.010. 3 days from 1.042 to 1.010? Wow, obvious question is what yeast were you testing & what temp?
After 10 days I went from 1.048 to 1.027 @ 50F (10C?). We're aiming for 1.007, Nosy stopped at 1.021 so maybe I'm closer than I thought I was. I'm planning on holding for another couple of days.
As Stated earlier 250mls of fresh 34/70 slurry fermented 14c under 10psi 2 days 3rd day free rise set temp at 18c no heat source just exothermic yeast temp to get there that arvo krausen non existent left here for a few more days then cold crashed to 1c for a few days then transferred to keg drinking now tastes bloody great.

Only 2 packets of 34/70 for a 6 gallon lager? That makes the decision much easier. I was thinking at least 3; and 4 to be safe.

LHBS availability was the deciding factor for all substitutions. Since they don't have Blackprinz (at least their website says they don't) I still need to find a substitute for that too.
View attachment 13267
I used Caraffa 2 in substitute but definitely not black prince.

I did a full-on step mash starting at protein rest (122 degrees). The high temp rest (158 degrees) likely left me more dextrines. We'll see if I drop another point or two in lagering. One more thing: My fermentation went fast for a lager, less than a week.

I did a full-on step mash starting at protein rest (122 degrees). The high temp rest (158 degrees) likely left me more dextrines. We'll see if I drop another point or two in lagering. One more thing: My fermentation went fast for a lager, less than a week.
Yeah big pitch should get things racing and good oxygenation also i add nutrient to the wort at end of boil just to help yeast along.
When mines in the ferment and I see krausen falling I swirl the fermentor it's all on wheels.

3-liter starter of fresh yeast, 10 mins O2 at 1/32 lpm... I use slower oxygenation to keep from blowing my O2 into the air.

View attachment 13267
Shopping at Northern Brewer? They have Dehusked Caraffa II, that should be really close.

Northern Brewer is my LHBS. I'll definitely swap out the Black Prinz for the Caraffa II.
I like Northern Brewer, shop there when I'm working in the area, I figure my LHBS is the one nearest to my route home. Point Brew Supply in Stevens Point, The Wine and Hop Shop in Madison are great too.

I like Northern Brewer, shop there when I'm working in the area, I figure my LHBS is the one nearest to my route home. Point Brew Supply in Stevens Point, The Wine and Hop Shop in Madison are great too.

I was in Madison a couple of months ago. Wish I had thought of looking for home brew supply stores there. :oops:

I was in Madison a couple of months ago. Wish I had thought of looking for home brew supply stores there. :oops:
Wine and Hop is Curbside only right now(great shop though when this stuff finally straightens out). Cannery Wine and Spirit in Sun Prairie has a decent selection of homebrew stuff, not their main focus though.

My local or least would have been closed down right after I started brewing. So it has been Northern brewer, More beer, and Rite brew for me. Right brew will package the malt together in you have a recipe lined up. Only used them once but will next time I want to make Something with a few ounces of a grain I’ll rarely use

I'm to the point where this is my next brew. I have some S-23 and will use that unless it fails to rehydrate. 3 gallon batch so one packet should be fine.

I'm to the point where this is my next brew. I have some S-23 and will use that unless it fails to rehydrate. 3 gallon batch so one packet should be fine.
I wouldn’t worry about if it rehydrates.

Is it too soon to think about the next recipe? In January I'd like to try the Black Butte Porter recipe that @BrewPatagonia recently posted, if anyone else is interested in something like that :)

Back