I need peace of mind or to prepare for the worst

Josh Hughes

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Brewed yesterday afternoon and pitched yeast early evening. This morning I scooted the fermenter in my cooler so I could remove ice bottles since it was at 62 and it was time to warm it a touch. There was a small amount of wort in the cooler making me suspect a leak. I wiped it and a few hours later some more. So i sanitized a bucket and transferred it over. Fermentation hadn’t really taken off yet.
1. Did the leak ruin my beer?
2. Did my transfer ruin my beer? I used a hose except the last bit of yeast I poured from the other fermenter
3. Will it ruin my beer that there is more head space in the bucket?

Did the best I could with oxygen. Sanitized everything. I’m usually paranoid about that daggone spigot, I leave as other In it a while to check usually but Didn’t tighten it well enough

You should be fine I'd guess. I would be concerned about an infection than oxygen. Fermentation will take care of the oxygen. Most likely be fine.

If fermentation wasn't active yet, O2 isn't a problem. As long as the fermenter wasn't sitting in liquid that reached the spigot level the possibility of contamination should be close to zero.

If fermentation wasn't active yet, O2 isn't a problem. As long as the fermenter wasn't sitting in liquid that reached the spigot level the possibility of contamination should be close to zero.
So little came out and no where near the spigot.It definitely wasn’t active maybe starting to get going

Last edited:
Brewed yesterday afternoon and pitched yeast early evening. This morning I scooted the fermenter in my cooler so I could remove ice bottles since it was at 62 and it was time to warm it a touch. There was a small amount of wort in the cooler making me suspect a leak. I wiped it and a few hours later some more. So i sanitized a bucket and transferred it over. Fermentation hadn’t really taken off yet.
1. Did the leak ruin my beer?
2. Did my transfer ruin my beer? I used a hose except the last bit of yeast I poured from the other fermenter
3. Will it ruin my beer that there is more head space in the bucket?
You should be find - bacteria can't swim.

So for you guys that have been doing this for a while is this my life lol? Feel like I have it figured out then something like this hahaha
Welcome to brewing - sounds like the Dunning-Krueger effect is over for you....

Yup. I'd take the one leaking and fill it with water and put it somewhere you can examine it to figure out where the leak is coming from.

Putting you sanitization skills to the test! I sure hope it comes out alright for you!

Yup. I'd take the one leaking and fill it with water and put it somewhere you can examine it to figure out where the leak is coming from.
Didn’t have the nut in the back tight enough

I had that happen once, I found that if I spun the valve on the outside it would tighten up.

I may have panicked a little. I turned it form the outside and it moved a bit then stopped. May have been ok but I didn’t wait to see if it helped. Now I can’t brew my dunkel this weekend unless my Christmas ale is finished fermenting (Sunday is 14 days) Need the bucket so I can put it in cold water for fermentation. Oh well. Live and learn.

I would not worry about bacteria, but here is a fun fact. "Scientists have long known that bacteria can swim against currents. Those upstream swimmers can cause problems when they wend their way into medical devices." Bacteria have been clocked at the amazing speed of 60 body lengths per second and are propel by a whip like rotating flagella.

As long as they keep it under 60...

I would not worry about bacteria, but here is a fun fact. "Scientists have long known that bacteria can swim against currents. Those upstream swimmers can cause problems when they wend their way into medical devices." Bacteria have been clocked at the amazing speed of 60 body lengths per second and are propel by a whip like rotating flagella.
Are any of those of interest to brewers? I know there are swimming microbes but have never heard of any in relationship to beer spoilage.

Back