i experimented with instant and brewers yeast.

Rudibrew

Trial Member
Reaction score
hi guys,so its always bothered me why i cant use cheap instant or brewers yeast.
so three weeks ago i brewed two batches of beer,one with instant yeast,used for baking;and another batch with brewers yeast,sold to make traditional beer .
i bottle carbonated
both worked,my final gravity came as expected.
the downside was too much foam/head,even when cold crashed 3 days
another downside was it tasted very yeasty.
also the yeast broke away from the bottom of the bottle very easily,so it floating all around.
it was a beer,but not acceptable,from both yeasts.

Gold-star-48-x-10g-Display.jpg brewers.jpg
Which specific yeasts did you use?
Gold-star-48-x-10g-Display.jpg

admittedly,they are formulated to produce high foam.

Since their job is to produce gas for a limited amount of time, they're not as pure as our cultures, either. Let it set a while and the off-flavors should start to form from the microbial contamination that's acceptable for bread but not for beer.

yes.it was sad to see the sediment floating up from the bottom while i was pouring.
i think thats what contributed to the yeasty taste.
homebrew yeasts i used in past stayed put!
oh,and please let Donald win....

Good exbeeriment looks like youll be sticking with brewers yeast;).

It it an expense thing why you tried the bread yeast?
Yeast ain't cheap here especially liquid so I usually run a few generations with it before pitching a fresh batch.

Good exbeeriment looks like youll be sticking with brewers yeast;).

It it an expense thing why you tried the bread yeast?
Yeast ain't cheap here especially liquid so I usually run a few generations with it before pitching a fresh batch.
yes it is an expense thing,and curiosity got the better of me,lol.
but im glad i did it,otherwise it would always nag me.
i do ferment onto previous slurries.
is there a way i can harvest a stock of yeast from one 11g sachet of dry yeast before pitching it?
tomorrow ill be buying 2 sachets,one to brew with and ideally to use the 2nd one to build a yeast stock to supply future batches.
is that possible?
what is a simple way to do it

yes it is an expense thing,and curiosity got the better of me,lol.
but im glad i did it,otherwise it would always nag me.
i do ferment onto previous slurries.
is there a way i can harvest a stock of yeast from one 11g sachet of dry yeast before pitching it?
tomorrow ill be buying 2 sachets,one to brew with and ideally to use the 2nd one to build a yeast stock to supply future batches.
is that possible?
what is a simple way to do it
You can propagate the dried yeast just like you would any other kind. Just bear in mind that after propagating - making a starter - you have to use it like liquid yeast, providing oxygen to the wort before pitching. You can also backslop your next batch of beer with the yeast from the current batch, just oxygenate the wort and run it in onto the yeast cake. You'll eventually reach a point that way where you're disposing of excess yeast. Just make sure your sanitation is impeccable if you're pitching forward for multiple generations and use fresh yeast when you start to notice infection flavors or other off-flavors in the beer.

You can propagate the dried yeast just like you would any other kind. Just bear in mind that after propagating - making a starter - you have to use it like liquid yeast, providing oxygen to the wort before pitching. You can also backslop your next batch of beer with the yeast from the current batch, just oxygenate the wort and run it in onto the yeast cake. You'll eventually reach a point that way where you're disposing of excess yeast. Just make sure your sanitation is impeccable if you're pitching forward for multiple generations and use fresh yeast when you start to notice infection flavors or other off-flavors in the beer.
i do aerate my wort before adding yeast.
when using this dry sachet to make future yeast for future batches,would this be a good idea:
1 make a simple basic wort of 2litre.
2 pitch 11g sachet.
3 use 150ml of this mixture to pitch to any future brews

I read somewhere using bread yeast in the boil in place of yeast nutrient. Not sure if this is an urban myth or reality as the two products are vastly different. Of course, I’m not a yeast expert and I don’t know what benefits (if any) inactive yeast brings to the wort.

I read somewhere using bread yeast in the boil in place of yeast nutrient. Not sure if this is an urban myth or reality as the two products are vastly different. Of course, I’m not a yeast expert and I don’t know what benefits (if any) inactive yeast brings to the wort.
It would be a nutrient. Wouldn't hurt but wort normally has all the nutrients yeast needs.

That’s no myth. Adding yeast to the boil bursts their cells, releasing lipids that are necessary for yeast reproduction. Yeast hulls harvested from old yeast are sold as a nutrient.

I add a teaspoon of bread yeast to every batch.

That’s no myth. Adding yeast to the boil bursts their cells, releasing lipids that are necessary for yeast reproduction. Yeast hulls harvested from old yeast are sold as a nutrient.

I add a teaspoon of bread yeast to every batch.
Good to know. My wife bakes bread and bought a lifetime supply (ok, maybe not) of bread yeast. So, I can pilfer from her stash.

I’ve read the debate whether nutrient is necessary. For me, it’s cheap insurance and makes me feel like I’m making better beer, which is reason enough.

Home distillers love using bakers yeast and I've used it before when making mead.

I've used instant yeast for cider, and also the other one that Rudi shows.
They came out sort of ok, just needed long to condition.
My fermenting temperatures were all over the place though as at that time I had no temp control at all (and day time high was around 35-38 oC

Good to know. My wife bakes bread and bought a lifetime supply (ok, maybe not) of bread yeast. So, I can pilfer from her stash.

I’ve read the debate whether nutrient is necessary. For me, it’s cheap insurance and makes me feel like I’m making better beer, which is reason enough.
will this not give it a bready taste/

I've also herd of boiled up raisins @HighVoltageMan! Might know the reason.

My propagation method with a new (dry) yeast packet is make a 2.5lt starter.
Once starter has run its course (yeast start to drop) I pour off my next batch yeast into a cleaned boiled 500ml ish glass and repeat the while process. Will add another starter step ith lager yeast.
Got this from Brulosophy.
I find I can run the yeast 5-6 gens this way before I feel I'm pushing the boundaries.

Always taste your starters.
Sniff your starters
And take gravity reading reading to check itsn
attenuation.
If any of these are off the mark tip the starter and go by new yeast:);).

Back