i experimented with instant and brewers yeast.

I've added raisins to mead and to certain "mashes". I think it's the same concept as adding nutrients for yeast. Look for JOAM mead recipe. It makes a great mead and uses baking yeast and raisins.

I’ve added raisins to cider fermentation. Not sure it made a difference.

I have no idea why anyone would add raisins to the boil, except maybe for a brown ale. I've always wanted to try it. Not sure how it would turn out.
Yeah as above you boil n mash the raisins strain this then add in to boil or just throw em in.
I've used bread yeast in beers when I've run out of yeast nutrients.
Hard to know if any discernable differences without a side by side now I'm sure brulosophy has done that one...

This is going to sound like a real noobish question but how do you know when you need yeast nutrient? I've used it once as a recipe called for it but really am unsure when I'd use it in my own recipes. Is there like an OG threshold or like a certain amount of adjuncts or something?

This is going to sound like a real noobish question but how do you know when you need yeast nutrient? I've used it once as a recipe called for it but really am unsure when I'd use it in my own recipes. Is there like an OG threshold or like a certain amount of adjuncts or something?
Honestly, when it comes to beer, I've never used yeast nutrients unless they came in an all grain kit I've purchased. I may be wrong, but my understanding is with todays grains and a proper mash, yeast nutrients really shouldn't be needed. That may be entirely different with high gravity mashes and some beers with low dp grist bill may benefit.. It will probably come down to choice mostly and won't hurt anything to add.

I forgot the yeast nutrent one time so I boiled up a small amount of water and mixed in the nutrent to add to the wort. It stunk so bad (Ammonia) I hate the idea of adding it to the brew. I think I should try the bread yeast idea. How much for an average five gallon batch?

All-grain mashes made with normal water sources? Never. High amounts of adjuncts and RO water, maybe. My RO system strips all the zinc, an essential micronutrient, and copper out of the water, so I add yeast nutrient to replace those. The malt supplies everything else the yeast needs. I think yeast nutrient is beer lore from the old days when a lot more pure sugar was used. But if it gives you peace of mind, use it, it certainly won't hurt.

Zinc is at such a low level in wort that it's practically not there. Malt and water don't contain enough to make much of a difference. Most beers do fine without adding any nutrients, but higher gravity and lagers may need to have a little extra help. Zinc is beneficial to yeast. The ammonia you smell is di-ammonium phosphate or DAP. It's a source of phosphate. Malt already contains it and may not be needed, it needed more in meads and wine. Brewtan B will also reduce any metals because it's a chelation agent, another reason to use a nutrient containing zinc if you add Brewtan to the boil.

I add nutrients to all my beers (Wyeast nutrient and bread yeast), it's not harmful in any way. I suppose I could stop and it may make no difference. But I definitely will add nutrient to high gravity and lager beers. I compete a lot in beer competitions and I use every edge I can to win fairly and honestly. Keeping the yeast as healthy as possible, along with other techniques, have kept me competitive.

Back