Show me your DIY Immersion Chiller

Craigerrr

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
When I sold my 3 vessel keggle system, I sold the chiller(s) with it. It was basically two chillers that I split flow between, and it worked fine.
20200426_113254.jpg
20200428_113812.jpg

Now I have a Brewzilla, which came with an immersion chiller, but I don't find that it is very affective. I think I want to make a custom 3 pass unit out of copper, and use the stainless coil as a pre-chiller in the warmer months. I do have some ideas, but I am curious to see what the resourceful DIY'ers here have come up with.
Thinking about something like this.
Screenshot_20200926-111601_Chrome.jpg

THAT THING LOOKS AWESOME! Whats the configuration at the bottom...I can't quite figure out the flow from that angle...is it injecting cool water at the top AND the bottom?

THAT THING LOOKS AWESOME! Whats the configuration at the bottom...I can't quite figure out the flow from that angle...is it injecting cool water at the top AND the bottom?
This one is just a picture I copied from google that I am using for inspiration. One pipe is in, the other is out. The in pipe splits off to two separate coils, then both coils link up to the outlet side, so a two pass chiller. I am actually planning to do a three pass unit, 3 x 25' coils of 3/8"OD tubing.

Mine's very basic. I made it "rigid" when I was trying to brew in an 8 gallon pot and kept it that way. Gets the wort cooled down to pitching temp in about a 1/2 hour.

20200927_173329.jpg

I think I will set it up so that the incoming water splits to one coil at the top, and the other at the bottom so that there is reverse stratification of the chilling from one coil to the other. Will have them flowing in the same direction though. which will be the opposite of the kettle whirlpool.

I think I will set it up so that the incoming water splits to one coil at the top, and the other at the bottom so that there is reverse stratification of the chilling from one coil to the other. Will have them flowing in the same direction though. which will be the opposite of the kettle whirlpool.

I find the reverse stratification concept interesting. Is this solely due to the whirlpool process or another reason? My understanding is that soon after the burner is turned off, heat rises and the top of your kettle becomes the hottest part of the wort. Therefore, I would think concentrating incoming cool water at the top would have the greatest effect. Thanks.

I find the reverse stratification concept interesting. Is this solely due to the whirlpool process or another reason? My understanding is that soon after the burner is turned off, heat rises and the top of your kettle becomes the hottest part of the wort. Therefore, I would think concentrating incoming cool water at the top would have the greatest effect. Thanks.
What I noticed when I was using an immersion chiller is that to get good cooling, the wort had to be moving. To your point, in theory you are likely correct, in practice the thermal gradient between the top and the bottom of the wort is so small that simple convection would overwhelm any effect of running the cool water in at the top.

Neat. I find moving the wort drastically speeds up the cooling with my Hydra, but I'm not super worried about gradients.

Neat. I find moving the wort drastically speeds up the cooling with my Hydra, but I'm not super worried about gradients.

True. That’s what Jaded recommends as well. Even if you don’t whirlpool, which I don’t, you can rock or churn the IC to speed the cooling process.

The general jist of it. As it turns out, the chilling water in one coil will be going in the opposite direction to the other coil, as well as coll water will flow from top to bottom in one coil, and bottom to top in the other. This is not science, just my nutty approach. There is plenty of space for me to spread the coils out once soldered, but going to sleep on what I have done so far.
20201020_212917.jpg

I was just second guessing myself a bit, so I just went and blew in one side. Air came out the other side, so all good!

I was just second guessing myself a bit, so I just went and blew in one side. Air came out the other side, so all good!

But which path did it take?

We are probably making too much of this but assuming the least path of resistance one leg will cool more than the other but you will be cooling faster given the additional surface area. Looks good Craigerrr...looking forward to the write up on your maiden voyage!

Theoretically the flow should be a relatively even split as the two coils are the same diameter and pretty much the same length, but I will actually have no way of determining that except to see how quickly the unit cools.

When I cool with IC i whirlpool and shake the shoit out of kettle this cools it quickest I find. That looks bloody awesome

Back