Show me your DIY Immersion Chiller

Here is Frank in action, got down to 22C in 10 minutes. I was playing with the water flow to try and extract the optimum amount of heat, could probably knock a couple of minutes off if I get the flow in the sweet spot.
20201030_115120.jpg

Today's brew called for a 15 minute whirlpool at 80C. In under a minute I was down to 70C, oops! After the whirlpool it took 5 minutes to get down to 28C. Ground water is still relatively warm. Next brew I will use a pre-chiller in a bucket of ice and see if I can improve on this some more.

Nice, my 60G barrel doesn't quite cut it with a 42L batch but the 21L batches it works great.

I don't measure time for chilling anymore, I measure water used. Four buckets lined up, only needed three. Only chilled to about 32C as this batch was getting VOSS. Used all of the water during cleanup!
View attachment 14775
Time is cheap for homebrewers. Water is expensive (at least down here).

Just an update on Frankenchiller.
It is now mid summer.
Although the ground water is still pretty cool because we do everything a minimum of 4' below grade due to frost.
It is however, no where near as cold as it is in the winter months.
The batch, which maybe I should rename "Back Breaker", is being fermented with VOSS, so I only needed to chill to 30C.
It still took less than 4 buckets of water to accomplish this.
I had grand ideas of running the ground water through a pre-chiller, but I now see no reason to go to this trouble!
upload_2021-7-27_16-7-20.png

Back