very easy choclate beer recipe,need advice,please.

Rudibrew

Trial Member
Reaction score
hi guys,so im sorted with a hydrometer,feeling much more confident.
i got my blonde ale sorted,probably gonna be so much better when i rebrew it with the hydrometer this time.

now id like to tackle a delicious chocolate stout(?)
im leaning to something that my wife would love,rich,creamy ,chocolatey.

however,something realitvely (very)easy,few ingredients,please.
what i can get tomorrow is from this shop:
https://beerguevara.com/product-category/malts/specialty-malts/
budget is limited:(
i have ordered :
chocolate malt 500g
black 1300 malt 500g

https://beerguevara.com/product/chocolate/
and
https://beerguevara.com/product/black-malt/
any advice on what i would be using as a base malt and what would be a appropriate hop?
thanks again guys,appreciate your help.

these are the base malts available;
https://beerguevara.com/product-category/malts/base-malts/

Last edited:
This here recipie turned out creamy and chocolaty.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1021086/bonkers-tout
The coconut faded after a bit and the people who tried it first descriptor was chocolate (not coconut or vanilla).

I didn't use brown sugar in it but I needed a fermentable I used a caramel spread type thing. I'm imagining next time I'll use lactose in place of this to increase the creaminess.

So my advice rolled oats for the creamy slick mouthfeel.
Use whatever base malt is cheapest.
I'd start clear of astringent extra dark roasted malts. But use chocolate malt or caraffa 1 or 2 if you can.
And depending on your water add half a teaspoon or so of bicarb soda or baking soda and if you've got some calcium chloride a couple of grams of this to help with the body in this creamy stout.

Think if it comes across as thin kiss goodbye any chocolate thick flavours.

Any neutral bittering hop will do
Your just using a bittering addition and maybe a mid boil hop so your not looking for hop presence in this style.
I added about two teaspoons worth of vanilla to keg at packageing this will help creating the chocolate flavour. @Nosybear got me onto this.

Last one is mash high like 68-69c and try and hold it up at this body building mash temp.

Yeast S04 I hear is good in these.
I've used Voss Kviek and Hornindal Yeast in this style and it went off like a frog in a sock.
Actually Hornidal helps I think with the caramel type mouthfeel.

Good luck make sure you post up a recipie pls :)

I think a lot of it depends on your wife's definition of chocolate. You could do a simple stout and use cocoa powder.
Kinda having deja vu. Haven't we been here before?

Close to a year ago I did a Chocolate Cranberry Stout. I used 100% pure juice from crushed cranberries, and cocoa powder. Early on it was a bit chalky due to the cocoa powder, I made 10 gallons, kegged half,and bottled half. The keg is obviously long gone, but I have some bottles left, and had a couple recently. Wow what a difference these months have made. The cranberry has come on real strong, but in a good way, and the chalkiness is gone. The chocolate flavor is more of a background flavor now.
This is my only experience with a chocolate type brew, I am not sure that I have much, or anything to offer for your recipe plan.
Here is that recipe however.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/752261/bloody-finger-cranberry-chocolate-stout

@Rudibrew With everything you've listed here, I would do a Pale Ale base, Black wheat for folor and a touch of coffee (2-3%), Chocolate (5-10%) and either 5-10% Crystal (60-70) or 15-20% Munich.

Hops: Northern Brewer or Magnum.

Probably some caocao nibs in the secondary or as others have mentioned, coco powder. - However, I'd try the beer first to judge if it is necessary or how much.

@Rudibrew With everything you've listed here, I would do a Pale Ale base, Black wheat for folor and a touch of coffee (2-3%), Chocolate (5-10%) and either 5-10% Crystal (60-70) or 15-20% Munich.

Hops: Northern Brewer or Magnum.

Probably some caocao nibs in the secondary or as others have mentioned, coco powder. - However, I'd try the beer first to judge if it is necessary or how much.
can i add cara ruby as substitute for the crystal?

The crystal is just for the sweetness so any crystal around similar lovibond (darkness) should do. The darker The crystal though the different sweetness you'll perceive for example the lighter the crystal the less caramel flavour more honey flavour then the darker like around 100 lovibond will be more burnt caramel rasin prune type thing.
Your chocolate flavour is going to come from the type of roasted malt you use. And not all chocolate malts are the same but you gotta start somewhere.
Hope that helps

What @Trialben said is spot on - on both crystal and chocolate malts. I say go for it as long as you keep it under 10% - it'll provide some sweetness and toffee type caramel flavors... After you make it once you'll have some idea if what you did is working... You can adjust from there.

It kind of gets confusing when you post the same things in different threads. Here's what I posted in your other thread.
I don't think I'd go the route of bakers chocolate. There's a lot of fat in that. I'd go cocoa powder last 5-10 minutes of boil.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1050444/choc-experiment

im thinking of grating bakers chocolate into the wort 10 mins before flameout?

My recommendation here - with what you posted for a recipe - is to remember your goal: a chocolate beer (for your wife)... Often times, chocolate beers are made as stouts and this is certainly looking like one. Does your wife like stouts? If so, carry on :) - however, I'd still add some crystal malt to that bill and dial the black malt down under 5%... That's just me though.

You can add chocolate to lots of types of beer styles - stouts certainly work well for this, but if your wife doesn't like roasted flavors then I wouldn't make a stout... Maybe a Schwarzbeir (Black Lager) - less roasty... Or maybe a chocolate brown ale or chocolate brown porter. Maybe even a scottish ale with a touch of chocolate (I should probably try that myself!)...

Try to describe what she likes beerwise and we might be able to help further.

My recommendation here - with what you posted for a recipe - is to remember your goal: a chocolate beer (for your wife)... Often times, chocolate beers are made as stouts and this is certainly looking like one. Does your wife like stouts? If so, carry on :) - however, I'd still add some crystal malt to that bill and dial the black malt down under 5%... That's just me though.

You can add chocolate to lots of types of beer styles - stouts certainly work well for this, but if your wife doesn't like roasted flavors then I wouldn't make a stout... Maybe a Schwarzbeir (Black Lager) - less roasty... Or maybe a chocolate brown ale or chocolate brown porter. Maybe even a scottish ale with a touch of chocolate (I should probably try that myself!)...

Try to describe what she likes beerwise and we might be able to help further.
If you try the Scotch Ale let us know. Sounds like something I might want to try at somepoint

i guess i was caugt\ht up in the whole chocolate beer experiment and veered from what the wife wants,
a smooth,chocolate alcoholic beverage....
i only know how to make beer:(;)
but shes not not a beer drinker.
flavoured alcoholic beverages are her thing,and she asked me if i could try a chocolate beer,i realise its not really that easy when basing it as a beer

i guess i was caugt\ht up in the whole chocolate beer experiment and veered from what the wife wants,
a smooth,chocolate alcoholic beverage....
i only know how to make beer:(;)
but shes not not a beer drinker.
flavoured alcoholic beverages are her thing,and she asked me if i could try a chocolate beer,i realise its not really that easy when basing it as a beer
Just because she's not a beer drinker doesn't mean she can't like your beer. Local brewery here did a salted caramel porter as one of their limited release pilot batches a while back and plenty of people I know that I don't consider "real beer drinkers" (I.E. they only typically drink light beers) and definitely aren't porter drinkers couldn't get enough. My wife doesn't like pretty much any beer but there's still a few sours I've turned her into she likes. Point is you can probably make something she'll enjoy if you keep that as your goal and keep working at it. You might not get it the first time but get her tasting notes and come back. I'm not going to be the biggest help with the recipe but it sounds like what you actually need is a beer where the hops are de-emphasized and it really is all about the chocolate flavor. Again no expert but from my personal experience, with your wife not being a beer drinker I think less is definitely more in regards to the black malt. That's all I have to offer so I'm sure the other guys can get you where you need to go.

with your wife not being a beer drinker I think less is definitely more in regards to the black malt.
@Rudibrew That's it! It should be smooth.

Here's along the lines of what I was thinking... You can even tone down the chocolate and cara ruby as you see fit. 5-7% each... Light chocolate malt as @NatePly said may be a little less coffee and more chocolate but if all you have is regular chocolate malt you'll be fine.

You could drop the black malt on this recipe all together too if you'd like. Remember, the goal! :)

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1049530/draft-rudi-s-chocolate-beer

th
@Rudibrew That's it! It should be smooth.

Here's along the lines of what I was thinking... You can even tone down the chocolate and cara ruby as you see fit. 5-7% each... Light chocolate malt as @NatePly said may be a little less coffee and more chocolate but if all you have is regular chocolate malt you'll be fine.

You could drop the black malt on this recipe all together too if you'd like. Remember, the goal! :)

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1049530/draft-rudi-s-chocolate-beer
Thanks a heap for the recipe,cant wait for friday to give it a bash,u rock!

Here, finally, is my take: Make a Porter. At fifteen minutes remaining in the boil, crumble some high percentage chocolate - yes chocolate - into the beer, say one baking chocolate bar. Voile, chocolate beer! The Porter will already have some chocolate flavors in it, the baker's chocolate will complement them. You may have issues with head retention due to the oil in the chocolate. Use high cocoa percentage chocolate, the higher the better.

Back