Packaging in used keg.

GFHomebrew

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Gday brewers !
I've not done this yet in the 5 or so years ive been kegging my hombrew. I'm looking at transferring in my international Lager into a used (kicked) keg that had a Lager in it before hand.

AH you Lazy dirty Bastard you may be thinking eh?

Well yes there is that:p.
But seriously in my noggin I've been weighing it up and it seems to me the best option.

Usually I run a fermentation and purge the recieving keg at the same time but this time around that didn't happen. I was thinking I could kick a keg clean it and set it up next to the fermentor in time to get purged once primary fermentation had kicked in on the lager. No! I didn't expect the lager to fire 12hours later:confused:.

Now I've drunk said keg and the lager is conditioning at 0c ready for transfer so I'm not getting any purging fermentation Co2 out of this beer.

Right so the prudent method would be clean this kicked keg throughly then purge it using my co2 tank hook it up and transfer fresh beer in (but I'm a Cheap Bastard).

Question.
So I know the Lager in the kicked keg was good I didn't taste any negative qualities except some sulphur early on over a month ago.

Here is a co2 purged keg with probably half a cups worth of trub at the bottom.

I'm just going to transfer my fizzy International Lager over into this keg.

Why not?
Anyone done this?
Cheers I'm going to do it anyhow but just thought I'd put the thought out on the forum and see if I'm not alone in transferring into a used keg.

Think we do it from time to time with our fermentors transferring fresh wort on and old yeast cake.

i'd say go for it. The stuff already in there isn't going to be infected. Worst case it might mess with your flavours in my opinion.

i'd say go for it. The stuff already in there isn't going to be infected. Worst case it might mess with your flavours in my opinion.
Transferring atm I guess we'll find out
20200911_094823.jpg

I've considered it many times myself but haven't done it. I can't see it being much of a problem. I have passed up cleaning my tap 2 kegs in a row and they do get a little funky imo.

Hell yeah brother, no risk no reward! I am really bad for not cleaning my taps and have never had any noticeable issues.

I'm on the same hose line going on year 3 now?

Hell yeah brother, no risk no reward! I am really bad for not cleaning my taps and have never had any noticeable issues.

I'm on the same hose line going on year 3 now?
To be extra bad ass I'm thinking of pitching some Vienna Lager wort straight on top off this yeast cake I'm transferring off.
You've seen that DR hans blog he went a whole year without cleaning his bubble fermentor:eek:.

Crap photo but there is a tun of yeast here
20200911_100656.jpg

I haven't but I've pitched on top of yeast cake before without issue. Doo it!!

I haven't but I've pitched on top of yeast cake before without issue. Doo it!!
:D Yeah I sure will just gotta sneak in a brew session without pissing the missus off with a littleun now it's tricky but way worth the risk lol!

I think I'll run this ferment nice and low and throw some pressure straight on maybe 15psi you k ow really suppress them esters

Pluss I ain't done a Vienna Lager yet I know you have @Hawkbox any pointers ?

Oh right, you have the ankle biter to keep in mind now. Take your time ;)

Trying to remember all the terms for children used when I was one.

I did David Heath's vienna lager under pressure and it was fantastic. I'd let it ferment with no pressure for at least 24-36 hours and then tighten up your spunding valve to your desired pressure.

To be extra bad ass I'm thinking of pitching some Vienna Lager wort straight on top off this yeast cake I'm transferring off.
You've seen that DR hans blog he went a whole year without cleaning his bubble fermentor:eek:.

Crap photo but there is a tun of yeast hereView attachment 11875
I like Dr. Hans

TrailBen has gone mad! Which dredges up something dark from my memory - late 80s late night TV ads

And apart from the mixing of the cake at the bottom of the keg, can't see it causing many problems.

TrailBen has gone mad! Which dredges up something dark from my memory - late 80s late night TV ads

And apart from the mixing of the cake at the bottom of the keg, can't see it causing many problems.
I'm glad I inspire dark memories :D!

Just checked out the David Heath clip on Vienna Lager cheers @thunderwagn

So this is what I gleaned.
OG 1.057 BU:GU .50. 29 IBUs.
78% Vienna
4.9% pils
2.3% Melanoidin
12.3% caramunich 1
2% Carafa 1 ( interesting).

Magnum bittering
Mittlefruh for a mid boil.

He's fermented it with Voss cool which sounds interesting.
But recommended 34/70 MJ Bohemian Lager yeast for dry yeast options.

Hmmmm I'm thinking a mix of Vienna/pilsner I've got caraffa 2 in stock but I'm a tad cautious on adding this as my last roasted malt lager foray came out a bit muddled still good but not great.
I've also got Melanoidin.

Hey Thunderwagon did you brew as per David's recipie or make a tweak or two.
I'm thinking of leaving out the crystal on this one I want a dry Finnish.

@Trialben I followed his recipe for the most part. I used hops I had on hand and used opshaug kveik instead of voss. I really liked the beer. For sure not your typical vienna though. A bit more malty.

Vitals

Original Gravity: 1.050

Final Gravity: 1.012

IBU (Tinseth): 27

Color: 15 SRM

Mash

Temperature — 149 °F — 60 min

Mash Out — 167 °F — 10 min

Malts (11 lb 3.7 oz)
8 lb 13.1 oz (78.5%) — BestMalz Vienna — Grain — 3.9 °L

1 lb 6 oz (12.3%) — BestMalz Caramel Munich I — Grain — 34.3 °L

8.8 oz (4.9%) — BestMalz Pilsen Malt — Grain — 1.9 °L