Packaging in used keg.

I have transfered into a just emptied keg. It is already purged and clean ,but a bit of trub. No problems whatever.

I'm glad I inspire dark memories :D!

Just checked out the David Heath clip on Vienna Lager cheers @thunderwagn

So this is what I gleaned.
OG 1.057 BU:GU .50. 29 IBUs.
78% Vienna
4.9% pils
2.3% Melanoidin
12.3% caramunich 1
2% Carafa 1 ( interesting).

Magnum bittering
Mittlefruh for a mid boil.

He's fermented it with Voss cool which sounds interesting.
But recommended 34/70 MJ Bohemian Lager yeast for dry yeast options.

Hmmmm I'm thinking a mix of Vienna/pilsner I've got caraffa 2 in stock but I'm a tad cautious on adding this as my last roasted malt lager foray came out a bit muddled still good but not great.
I've also got Melanoidin.

Hey Thunderwagon did you brew as per David's recipie or make a tweak or two.
I'm thinking of leaving out the crystal on this one I want a dry Finnish.
One thing: The 4.9% Pilsner malt will not be noticeable. Stylistically the Caramunich and Carafa are out of place - Vienna Lager is a pale to light amber beer, this will push it into Dunkel territory. And finally, Melanoidin.... My distaste for this malt is well known. My review: This recipe is a low-gravity Bock. And 34/70 is the Weihenstephan strain, the other side of Germany from Bohemia. Here's how I'd do a Vienna:

95% Vienna Malt, 5% Munich 1. Might make some room for Carafoam (trading Vienna for it). Bitterness about 25 IBUs, target of around 5% ABV. I'd use Styrian Goldings for flavor. Bohemian Lager yeast if I could get it but 34/70 will do in a pinch.

Hmmmm, I just had a keg kick, and I have a batch ready to keg... used VOSS on both, maybe, just maybe, I might do the same...
Hey don't let my bad habits become your Craig haa! But why not you know there's no O2 in that keg.
Heck I rekon it'd be great for NEIPA as long as your transferring hop free beer in you know that flavour is going to hold strong for a fair while.:).
I wouldn't go any more than one transfer over but hey how dirty can we get here:p.

One thing: The 4.9% Pilsner malt will not be noticeable. Stylistically the Caramunich and Carafa are out of place - Vienna Lager is a pale to light amber beer, this will push it into Dunkel territory. And finally, Melanoidin.... My distaste for this malt is well known. My review: This recipe is a low-gravity Bock. And 34/70 is the Weihenstephan strain, the other side of Germany from Bohemia. Here's how I'd do a Vienna:

95% Vienna Malt, 5% Munich 1. Might make some room for Carafoam (trading Vienna for it). Bitterness about 25 IBUs, target of around 5% ABV. I'd use Styrian Goldings for flavor. Bohemian Lager yeast if I could get it but 34/70 will do in a pinch.
Yes it's been duly noted :D.
I used it in the last lager I did and yes it did have a sweetness to it actually this is the keg I'm transferring into an old Covid Scare lager batch kicked keg I acidentily muddled up my grain weighing and mixed I think it was Munich and Melanoidin.
Thanks for your input Nosey.

@west1m I knew someone has done this before;).

@thunderwagn looks like you went dead on the grain bill yep I'm sure with that caramunich 2 it'll be nice and malty.
I've gone a helles with caramunich2 in it and liked it.

I'm going to call the HB store this morn and seen if he's got any Vienna if so I'll stick with recipie I flicked up

Yes it's been duly noted :D.
I used it in the last lager I did and yes it did have a sweetness to it actually this is the keg I'm transferring into an old Covid Scare lager batch kicked keg I acidentily muddled up my grain weighing and mixed I think it was Munich and Melanoidin.
Thanks for your input Nosey.

@west1m I knew someone has done this before;).

@thunderwagn looks like you went dead on the grain bill yep I'm sure with that caramunich 2 it'll be nice and malty.
I've gone a helles with caramunich2 in it and liked it.

I'm going to call the HB store this morn and seen if he's got any Vienna if so I'll stick with recipie I flicked up
Haha, I do typically round off my grains.

Haha, I do typically round off my grains.
Scratch that putting in a grain order now! I'll order some caramunich 2 as well I'll spin this recipe as per David Heath suggestions he seems to put out some solid content I'm sure he's nailed down that recipie he posted on his Blog.

Plus I can slip in a few different hop varieties for another bunyip :D

@Trialben if you're interested.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Yeah I watched that the other day after you referenced it.
I like his brew Vlogs he like to try and stay neutral and factual on topic.

I chickened out, cleaned all my kegs on Sunday...

Oh now where's the fun in that!
Smart move Craig ;)
Had 12 gallons of IPA in fermenter, 2 clean and sanitized kegs and an empty from a 2 hearted clone (sort of) that just blew. Thought, why not! Keg is fitted with a top draw too. Carbing up now 2 fresh kegs and a snotty used 1 with 2 gal in it. Same yeast, similar grain bill.

Had 12 gallons of IPA in fermenter, 2 clean and sanitized kegs and an empty from a 2 hearted clone (sort of) that just blew. Thought, why not! Keg is fitted with a top draw too. Carbing up now 2 fresh kegs and a snotty used 1 with 2 gal in it. Same yeast, similar grain bill.
The beer I did this with has taken a bit to settle down 1 week think I was getting trub for a glass or three still drunk em:).

I'll post a pick of said beer later this week.
Btw no off flavours anyhow just pain in the arse sulphur which I can't shake in my lager beer fermentations atm.
Next on I'm going hot and under some decent pressure.

Back