Festbier

Iliff Avenue Brewhouse

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/302575/festbier

What ya think? I like my lagers simple with little if any crystal malt. Going to be drinking a ton of marzen starting in a couple of weeks so didn’t feel the need to brew one.

Yeast will be a blend of 34/70 and s-189. Considering a mix of Munich i/ii and possibly a touch of carahell. Yellow malty water. I can switch to German hops but don’t see the need.

Last edited:
Looks good to me. Nice and simple, I wouldn’t change a thing.

Good luck!

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/302575/festbier

What ya think? I like my lagers simple with little if any crystal malt. Going to be drinking a ton of marzen starting in a couple of weeks so didn’t feel the need to brew one.

Yeast will be a blend of 34/70 and s-189. Considering a mix of Munich i/ii and possibly a touch of carahell. Yellow malty water. I can switch to German hops but don’t see the need.
Sweet! - I like the looks of it! Nothing like a good malty festbeir!
Just out of curiosity:
What do you think your mash schedule will look like? A single infusion or stepped?
Are you using distilled water and adding salts to hit the target water profile?

Sweet! - I like the looks of it! Nothing like a good malty festbeir!
Just out of curiosity:
What do you think your mash schedule will look like? A single infusion or stepped?
Are you using distilled water and adding salts to hit the target water profile?

I don't mess around with anything other than single infusion these days. I have been working on streamlining everything and getting a brew done quickly. I have good tap water so I am able to hit pretty much any profile with some gypsum, calcium chloride, and lactic acid.

I don't mess around with anything other than single infusion these days. I have been working on streamlining everything and getting a brew done quickly. I have good tap water so I am able to hit pretty much any profile with some gypsum, calcium chloride, and lactic acid.
Nice! Having solid tap water is a game changer! (At least it was for me).
Good luck on the brew! Fall and Winter are my favorite beer seasons! - Especially because of lagers like these!

Thanks all! I love when I get positive feedback! I just brewed the other night so probably won't get to this for a couple of weeks. I will try to update.

That looks like it will be tasty. I’m going 80-85% Pilsner and the rest 10L Munich this weekend. I was toying with a Pilsner but I only have enough Pilsen malt left to get it to About 4% abv so I need to go a different route. After chatting with @Nosybear about a high ibu Pilsner I’m going to go close to 50 ibu. I would simply make that if I had more Pilsner.

Last edited:
Nice! Having solid tap water is a game changer! (At least it was for me).
Good luck on the brew! Fall and Winter are my favorite beer seasons! - Especially because of lagers like these!
Yeah my tap water is butt...

That looks like it will be tasty. I’m going 80-85% Pilsner and the rest 10L Munich this weekend. I was toying with a Pilsner but I only have enough Pilsen malt left to get it to About 4% abv so I need to go a different route. After chatting with @Nosybear about a high ibu Pilsner I’m going to go close to 50 ibu. I would simply make that if I had more Pilsner.
Keep it Noble and keep it early in the boil! Noble hops boiled long provide a kind of "woody" flavor reminiscent of cedar and later they tend to go grassy. Guess what? I'd reduce to around 30 IBUs and call it a Festbier. If you're at 4% ABV, drop it to 25. And as stated, boil the noble hops long. You'll like the flavor.

Not trying to hijack but it is still talking Festbier
How about?
966FC121-05D5-481F-88DE-03C37BA3AA7A.png

This turned out fantastic. Right in between a helles and a helles bock which is pretty much what I was going for. The only improvement in future iterations might be to increase the amount of munich malt a bit to get it a little more malt forward.

I'll try to remember to post a pic soon.

Last edited:
This turned out fantastic. Right in between a helles and a helles bock which is pretty much what I was going for. The only improvement in future iterations might be to increase the amount of munich malt a bit to get it a little more malt forward.
That’s awesome. I put mine in the fridge to “lager” for a few weeks after 16 days carbing in a bottle. Had a half bottle I opened and it was carbed and taste good. Mine had more bitterness than my Helles. Was nice I thought.

Back