Whiskey, Bourbon, and Other Fine Spirits!

This is the reference. Thought it was cherry, but they do just as well.

strawberry panty-dropper
    Post Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:42 am

1-2qts frozen strawberries
    white granulated sugar
    bottle of clear brandy or vodka
    lemon juice

Put frozen strawberries in a large mason jar. Fill the jar. Fill the jar the rest of the way up to the top with 120-150proof clear brandy. Set jar on a window sill for about a week(shaking it a couple times a day). Strain out liquid into another jar or bottle. Add enough sugar to the strawberries to completely cover them. Let the jar sit on the window sill (giving it a shake now and then)until most of the sugar appears to be gone, and there is alot of syrup in the jar. Pour the syrup into a seperate jar and add more sugar to the strawberries. Repeat this step until there is no more juices being released from the berries. Add about 1-2 tablespoons of lemon juice to the alcohol, then add the strawberry syrup until the desired taste is reached, water to 80 proof and strain until no strawberry particles are seen. The lemon juice will help preserve the red color, and the flavor of the strawberries. Without the lemon juice, the finished product will have a chalky aftertaste (quite unpleasent). Any leftover syrup and/or berries is Excelent on ice cream and/or cheesecake.

This is the reference. Thought it was cherry, but they do just as well.

strawberry panty-dropper
    Post Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:42 am

1-2qts frozen strawberries
    white granulated sugar
    bottle of clear brandy or vodka
    lemon juice

Put frozen strawberries in a large mason jar. Fill the jar. Fill the jar the rest of the way up to the top with 120-150proof clear brandy. Set jar on a window sill for about a week(shaking it a couple times a day). Strain out liquid into another jar or bottle. Add enough sugar to the strawberries to completely cover them. Let the jar sit on the window sill (giving it a shake now and then)until most of the sugar appears to be gone, and there is alot of syrup in the jar. Pour the syrup into a seperate jar and add more sugar to the strawberries. Repeat this step until there is no more juices being released from the berries. Add about 1-2 tablespoons of lemon juice to the alcohol, then add the strawberry syrup until the desired taste is reached, water to 80 proof and strain until no strawberry particles are seen. The lemon juice will help preserve the red color, and the flavor of the strawberries. Without the lemon juice, the finished product will have a chalky aftertaste (quite unpleasent). Any leftover syrup and/or berries is Excelent on ice cream and/or cheesecake.
Very nice! Thanks dubya!

My daughter and I also hit up the local distillery. Yep. How lucky we are to have both within less than 10 minutes. And not only in one town but at least two. Colorado definitely has its fair share of all things liquor!
I had an Old Fashioned no ice and my daughter had a gin and basil martini.
IMG_20200801_181215_01.jpg

I've been drinking Wheatley vodka from Buffalo Trace. Made with wheat oddly enough. They make 2 batches, distill each 7 times, blend them, then distill 3 more times. Definitely much smoother than other vodkas I've had

I've been drinking Wheatley vodka from Buffalo Trace. Made with wheat oddly enough. They make 2 batches, distill each 7 times, blend them, then distill 3 more times. Definitely much smoother than other vodkas I've had
I might have to try that sometime. I've heard home distillers make a vodka with wheat and it's supposed to be really good. I think it's called fast ferment vodka on the www?

I think I've finally gotten the Manhatten where I want it and can actually enjoy it.
I've gone to 100 proof rye.
I tried dry Vermouth and now gone back to sweet. What helped in this decision was actually sipping on the Vermouth neat and learning the flavors it offers on it's own.
Go a bit heavy on the bitters.
I don't need garnish.
IMG_20200809_182730.jpg

Finding your preference is always better then developing a taste.

Oh Laddie, that one is rare, one of my favorites! If you didn't know it is pronounced La froygs, and Islay is pronounced eye law. But you probably knew that.
I'll totally admit it was "Is Lay" until about two months ago! Then i read an article in magazine that had the correct pronunciation. Luckily, all my buddies were guilty of the same so I didn't feel like a complete tool.

Quick and easy test for COVID 19:
Take a glass and pour a decent shot of your favorite whiskey into it; then see if you can smell it. If you can, you're halfway there.
Now drink it. If you can taste it, then it is reasonable to assume you are currently free of the virus because the loss of your senses of smell and taste are common symptoms.
I tested myself 7 times last night and was virus-free every time, thank goodness
I'll need to test myself again today because I have developed a throbbing headache which can also be one of the symptoms.

Take a glass and pour a decent shot of your favorite whiskey into it; then see if you can smell it. If you can, you're halfway there.
Now drink it. If you can taste it, then it is reasonable to assume you are currently free of the virus because the loss of your senses of smell and taste are common symptoms.
I tested myself 7 times last night and was virus-free every time, thank goodness
I'll need to test myself again today because I have developed a throbbing headache which can also be one of the symptoms.
Haha. That's probably the most accurate test I've heard of so far!

Or from drinking too much

Me, drink too much? I've debated that with my wife for over 30 years, and will likely continue to do so until one of us is pushing up daisies.

BTW, did you get moved and settled in yet?

Hit up the distillery today and pulled off our barrel. I'm drinking off the one on the left without the label. The bottle in the back has the appropriate label, other than the fact they didn't mark it as whiskey. Purdy damn sure this'd put covid right on its ass.
IMG_20200819_173201.jpg

Last edited:
Hit up the distillery today and pulled off our barrel. I'm drinking off the one on the left without the label. The bottle in the back has the appropriate label, other than the fact they didn't mark it as whiskey. Purdy damn sure this'd put covid right 9n its ass.
View attachment 11487

When are you going to accessorize your Grainfather with the appropriate gear?

Hit up the distillery today and pulled off our barrel. I'm drinking off the one on the left without the label. The bottle in the back has the appropriate label, other than the fact they didn't mark it as whiskey. Purdy damn sure this'd put covid right on its ass.
View attachment 11487
Wouldn't stand a chance!

Tasting notes, c'mon man!
Looks dark and mysterious, maybe a little pepper, or spice to it?
I may need to look at accessorizing my Brewzilla...

Tasting notes, c'mon man!
Looks dark and mysterious, maybe a little pepper, or spice to it?
I may need to look at accessorizing my Brewzilla...
This is straight from the barrel so uncut and will give ya a big enough hug to take your breath away and feel it down to your belly button! Lots of oak, cherry, cinnamon, lots of grass/hay malty grains. I get almond brittle and even some peach on the end. Great for sipping, and cutting with water or ice, and makes a killer Old Fashioned if that's your thing. I'm mostly a neat drinker, but that's the beauty of cask strength in my opinion, very versatile and holds up to about anything.
All in ones like bling;)

Back