WLP070 Kentucky Bourbon Yeast

AGbrewer

Premium Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever used this yeast? I'm brewing my 6th iteration of a huge RIS and stumbled across this one. On my high gravity brews, I've used various beer yeasts in the past (e.g. WLP099, US-02, WLP-004, Imperial Darkness, etc.), but never a bourbon yeast. Given that the final product will be bourbon barrel aged anyways, thinking about experimenting with it. Seen a couple posts online about people using it, but nothing that indicates consistency in the yeast performance.

Thoughts on your personal experience with this yeast or any bourbon yeast that you used in a beer?

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1032425/gibcs-6

A buddy of mine has used whiskey yeast for beer and found it very, very fruity. Don't know which one. Safe to say that none of the flavor of whiskey comes from the yeast and with beer, it would make a big contribution to the flavor profile.

I've never used it and not sure why one would want to for beer. That's a distillers yeast and from what I understand, home distillers prefer yeasts like US-05 or baking yeast because a lot of "distilling" yeasts throw esters even distillers don't want. My opinion, you're going to get esters you don't want also.

Anyone ever used this yeast? I'm brewing my 6th iteration of a huge RIS and stumbled across this one. On my high gravity brews, I've used various beer yeasts in the past (e.g. WLP099, US-02, WLP-004, Imperial Darkness, etc.), but never a bourbon yeast. Given that the final product will be bourbon barrel aged anyways, thinking about experimenting with it. Seen a couple posts online about people using it, but nothing that indicates consistency in the yeast performance.

Thoughts on your personal experience with this yeast or any bourbon yeast that you used in a beer?

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1032425/gibcs-6
It throws a lot of off flavors. I would not recommend it for beer. If you need a high gravity yeast, champagne or its other name prix de mousse after primary fermentation with beer yeast is a better choice.

Thanks for all the info. I'll probably just stick with my wlp099 and some imperial darkness or wlp004 to keep the esters at bay.

Back