WLP070 Kentucky Bourbon Yeast

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by AGbrewer, Aug 2, 2020.

1. AGbrewer

AGbrewer Active Member

Anyone ever used this yeast? I'm brewing my 6th iteration of a huge RIS and stumbled across this one. On my high gravity brews, I've used various beer yeasts in the past (e.g. WLP099, US-02, WLP-004, Imperial Darkness, etc.), but never a bourbon yeast. Given that the final product will be bourbon barrel aged anyways, thinking about experimenting with it. Seen a couple posts online about people using it, but nothing that indicates consistency in the yeast performance.

Thoughts on your personal experience with this yeast or any bourbon yeast that you used in a beer?

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1032425/gibcs-6

2. J A

J A Well-Known Member

A buddy of mine has used whiskey yeast for beer and found it very, very fruity. Don't know which one. Safe to say that none of the flavor of whiskey comes from the yeast and with beer, it would make a big contribution to the flavor profile.

AGbrewer likes this.
  3. thunderwagn

thunderwagn Well-Known Member

I've never used it and not sure why one would want to for beer. That's a distillers yeast and from what I understand, home distillers prefer yeasts like US-05 or baking yeast because a lot of "distilling" yeasts throw esters even distillers don't want. My opinion, you're going to get esters you don't want also.

AGbrewer likes this.
  4. Nosybear

Nosybear Well-Known Member

It throws a lot of off flavors. I would not recommend it for beer. If you need a high gravity yeast, champagne or its other name prix de mousse after primary fermentation with beer yeast is a better choice.

AGbrewer likes this.
  5. AGbrewer

AGbrewer Active Member

Thanks for all the info. I'll probably just stick with my wlp099 and some imperial darkness or wlp004 to keep the esters at bay.

thunderwagn likes this.