brew pot too small

Rudibrew

Trial Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon evryone.

so ive tried brewing bigger batches but am limited to the size of my brewpot (11liter)
my mash tun can accomodate 50 liters.

my typical yield into fermenter is about 4.5 liter.
when i want a bigger batch i usually run another brew session,repeating the recipe.
this takes up a lot of time,
id like to brew a 5 gallon batch but am limited to the size of my brewpot.
so id have to brew the recipe 4 times over!?
is there a workaround to this insane method?
if i mash the total volume and boil one batch at a time,but then the remaining mash would be lying dormant for a few hours.
would that be a problem?
my recipe calls for no sparge.
Thanks guys

Good afternoon evryone.

so ive tried brewing bigger batches but am limited to the size of my brewpot (11liter)
my mash tun can accomodate 50 liters.

my typical yield into fermenter is about 4.5 liter.
when i want a bigger batch i usually run another brew session,repeating the recipe.
this takes up a lot of time,
id like to brew a 5 gallon batch but am limited to the size of my brewpot.
so id have to brew the recipe 4 times over!?
is there a workaround to this insane method?
if i mash the total volume and boil one batch at a time,but then the remaining mash would be lying dormant for a few hours.
would that be a problem?
my recipe calls for no sparge.
Thanks guys
Sounds like your mash tun can accommodate a lot of grains... SO, I would make a very strong wort that you can top up with water. If you end with 4.5 Litres of beer that is 1.080+ you could top up to 10L or so. I'd have to try to plug it all into brewers friend to get the right numbers but this sounds better than brewing 4 times...

If the mash was big enough, you could almost do a batch sparge and use the "second runnings" as another batch... Again, I'd have to try and plug it all in to figure it out. Maybe someone else here has already done something similar and could help better than I can?

Do you happen to have a second pot?

Sounds like your mash tun can accommodate a lot of grains... SO, I would make a very strong wort that you can top up with water. If you end with 4.5 Litres of beer that is 1.080+ you could top up to 10L or so. I'd have to try to plug it all into brewers friend to get the right numbers but this sounds better than brewing 4 times...

If the mash was big enough, you could almost do a batch sparge and use the "second runnings" as another batch... Again, I'd have to try and plug it all in to figure it out. Maybe someone else here has already done something similar and could help better than I can?

Do you happen to have a second pot?
im actually going to brew the first recipe you made me again,but on a larger scale.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1024668/rudi-s-first-

but want to do irt right this time,got a few notches on my belt now,lol

crap,the mash tun is 25liters,oops

crap,the mash tun is 25liters,oops
That should suffice! YOu are going to have a much thicker mash than you have previously had...

Not sure how doable this is... @Nosybear and @J A - could you guys and anyone else please take a peak!? I've never attempted anything like it... Pretty much he is going to boil down 9L of very STRONG wort to roughly 4.5L and then top up to 20 L.... Would this work? Do you see any issues?
Here is the recipe...
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/edit/1031977

That should suffice! YOu are going to have a much thicker mash than you have previously had...

Not sure how doable this is... @Nosybear and @J A - could you guys and anyone else please take a peak!? I've never attempted anything like it... Pretty much he is going to boil down 9L of very STRONG wort to roughly 4.5L and then top up to 20 L.... Would this work? Do you see any issues?
Here is the recipe...
It's just an all grain version of the concentrated wort process we used when our pots were too small. Conversion efficiency will suffer, you'll have to use more hops and very light beers will darken somewhat but it will work.

Perfect! I figured as much but wasn't sure. Sounds like a way forward for you Rudi!

It's just an all grain version of the concentrated wort process we used when our pots were too small. Conversion efficiency will suffer, you'll have to use more hops and very light beers will darken somewhat but it will work.
Sorry,u guys lost me.
after my first boil,ill end up with 4.5 liter that goes into fermenter.

Sorry,u guys lost me.
after my first boil,ill end up with 4.5 liter that goes into fermenter.
Knew I could count on you guys,thanks .
Currently doing that,will keep u updated on results.

Here is the recipe...
fix the permission/sharing issue...
Just glancing at the dilution calculator, you need 4.5 liters of 1.220 wort to make 20 liters of 1.050 into the fermenter. I'd be looking at boosting with DME at the end. It's possible to get plenty of sugars from a pile of malt but without a big sparge and pre-boil volume (way more than 9 liters) your efficiency is going to be dismal - maybe be 50 percent. It's just plain hard to get wort that strong. I'll have a look at the recipe, though and see if it makes sense.

fix the permission/sharing issue...
Just glancing at the dilution calculator, you need 4.5 liters of 1.220 wort to make 20 liters of 1.050 into the fermenter. I'd be looking at boosting with DME at the end. It's possible to get plenty of sugars from a pile of malt but without a big sparge and pre-boil volume (way more than 9 liters) your efficiency is going to be dismal - maybe be 50 percent. It's just plain hard to get wort that strong. I'll have a look at the recipe, though and see if it makes sense.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1031977/rudi-s-second-

Can't believe I goofed that up. Sorry. Going to fast. Above is the recipe link. You were dead on numbers wise J A. I don't think he has access to Dry Malt...

In a situation like this, I'd be looking at a full mash with multiple boils. I've done split boil batches to get half-barrel batches out of my 15-gallon kettle. Rather than splitting and boiling consecutively in the same pot, I've split part of the wort off into a smaller pot to do a concurrent boil. It would actually be a lot easier for me to do consecutive boils but I always boil long and I just never wanted to spend the extra time.
In the case of this beer, generating 18 liters of slightly high-gravity wort pre-boil and splitting into 2 equal 45-minute boils and then topping up from there might be a reasonable way to go.

I was also going to suggest getting or borrowing a bigger pot.
I think your restaurants are still closed, or only open with limitations? Maybe you can borrow a pot from your favourite restaurant in return for a couple of beers?

sadly,ordering from ebay is probably a 1 month wait.
even the local brewshops are mostly sold out,cause everyone is homebrewing real beer,theres only so much pineapple beer you can stomach,lol
but ill be tackling the new 10l recipe today,got some good clarification from blackmuse,thanks bud.
my previous batches are all but devoured by thirsty,grateful buddies.;)

Quick question,I'm using the second Rudi 2 recipe where I will be topping up my wort after the boil.
Can I add the boiled water to be used for topup into the spent grain and strain that to topup the wort?

Back