First Helles

Josh Hughes

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
2FB0A8DA-9F5A-4701-8CB3-821A605362F8.png
Here is what I’m thinking. I’m brewing tomorrow. 1.5 gallon batch. Thanks

Last edited:
Helles is generally Pilsner, maybe a bit of Vienna for complexity, noble hops. Your recipe looks interesting but, alas, it isn't a Helles.

Reactions: J A
Helles is generally Pilsner, maybe a bit of Vienna for complexity, noble hops. Your recipe looks interesting but, alas, it isn't a Helles.
Alright I have seen some with Munich or Vienna so I didn’t know for sure. Single infusion mash BIAB. Would you suggest all Pilsner? Thanks!

Alright I have seen some with Munich or Vienna so I didn’t know for sure. Single infusion mash BIAB. Would you suggest all Pilsner? Thanks!
I like about 10% Vienna, maybe 3% acid malt to control pH.

I would use 4 oz or roughly 10% Vienna or just the 5% Munich. (Personally, I'm a sucker for Munich!) You can use the wheat if you'd like but 1 to 2 oz of carapils would also do the trick.

Yeast seems right enough. :)

Good luck!

Don’t have any carapils so I put wheat but wasn’t sure if i should anyway. I also have no acid malt. I’m using Diamond yeast slurry from a Dunkel.

Agree with Nosy...Pilsner and maybe just a little Vienna will do nicely. Helles literally means "Bright" and the style is meant to be light, clear and crisp. Don't clutter up the malt flavor. If you want something with a little more body and sweetness, look into a Vienna Lager.

Agree with Nosy...Pilsner and maybe just a little Vienna will do nicely. Helles literally means "Bright" and the style is meant to be light, clear and crisp. Don't clutter up the malt flavor. If you want something with a little more body and sweetness, look into a Vienna Lager.
I want to make a Helles so I’ll cut back on what I had. Thanks to everyone for helping me.

Don’t have any carapils so I put wheat but wasn’t sure if i should anyway. I also have no acid malt. I’m using Diamond yeast slurry from a Dunkel.
OH! How did the Dunkel turn out?

Going to wait until tomorrow. Worked 8 hours on a playhouse/swing set. Rather drink than make this evening.
I have those days too!

With needing a longer boil and I’ve been doing a longer mash plus taking a long time to cool down for pitching (only second lager and no fridge) I’m too tired.

Hey @Jnh! I hope I'm not too late on this, but I was researching kveik and found this recipe. It appears to be a helles brewed with kveik (hornidal):

https://shortfingerbrewing.com/blogs/news/kveik-lagers

It could be worthless; I have zero experience homebrewing lagers, but it made me think of this thread! Happy brewing!

Hey @Jnh! I hope I'm not too late on this, but I was researching kveik and found this recipe. It appears to be a helles brewed with kveik (hornidal):

https://shortfingerbrewing.com/blogs/news/kveik-lagers

It could be worthless; I have zero experience homebrewing lagers, but it made me think of this thread! Happy brewing!
I am brewing it this afternoon. I made a Pilsner with Voss a while back it turned out well. I actually have another one fermenting right now. Trying for an actual lager with this one. I had not seen that site. I’ll be checking that out for sure.

Last edited:
I am brewing it this afternoon. I made a Pilsner with Voss a while back it turned out well. I actually have another one fermenting right now. Trying for an actual lager with this one. I had not seen that site. I’ll be checking that out for sure.
Good luck with your true to style attempt! It could be interesting to brew this helles "lager" in the future to compare to your legit helles lager. If the flavors, appearance, and drinkability are similar, you could have a 14 day helles recipe! That'd be an impressive time saver

Back