Next brew recipe - comments or constructive criticism are encouraged!

Box of Rocks

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Planning my second homebrew, and have developed the following recipe using guidance from brewersfriend tools. Using a bucket.

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Sunlight Mixture

Brew Method: Extract
Style Name: Double IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.25 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 4 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.111
Efficiency: 75% (steeping grains only)

Hop Utilization Multiplier: 1

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.085
Final Gravity: 1.016
ABV (standard): 9.01%
IBU (tinseth): 124.21
SRM (morey): 9.01
Mash pH: 0

FERMENTABLES:
7.4 lb - LME Golden Light (55.8%)
0.65 lb - CaraMunich I (4.9%)
3.25 lb - Goldpils Vienna Malt (24.5%)
0.65 lb - DME Golden Light (4.9%)
1.3 lb - Brewers Oat Flakes (9.8%)

HOPS:
2 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 41.76
4 oz - Strata , Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 12, Use: Whirlpool for 0 min at 180 °F, IBU: 21.91
2 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Whirlpool for 0 min at 180 °F, IBU: 11.41
2 oz - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Whirlpool for 0 min at 180 °F, IBU: 13.7
2 oz - Jarrylo, Type: Pellet, AA: 16.3, Use: Whirlpool for 60 min at 180 °F, IBU: 14.88. (Note: should be 0 min)
2 oz - Neo1, Type: Pellet, AA: 9.5, Use: Whirlpool for 0 min at 180 °F, IBU: 8.67
2 oz - Calypso, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: Whirlpool for 0 min at 180 °F, IBU: 11.87

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Starter: Yes. (This should be “no”, but using two packs).
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 81%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 54 - 77 F
Fermentation Temp: 70 F
Pitch Rate: 0.35 (M cells / ml / deg P)

PRIMING:
Method: dextrose
Amount: 5.2 oz
CO2 Level: 2.65 Volumes

Planning on 2 weeks fermentation prior to bottling, including a cold crash at the end. Three weeks before first bottles get opened.

Thoughts? Thanks for any guidance.

Everything looks reasonable except the BU/GU ratio. I would make adjustments and try to get to the 0.8 range. You’re in the 1.45 range which is exceptionally bitter. I would shoot for the 70-75 IBU range.

Beers taste best when the malt and hops are balanced. There are some good charts out there showing BU/GU ratios typical for each style.

Last edited:
It's been a while since I've done steeping grains, so I may be wrong, but I'd have thought that much Vienna malt is going to make it relatively dark for a IIPA.

I'd add some simple sugar to cut down the body, which will also help the ABV. Without looking it up I thought 10% isn't uncommon for sugar in IIPA.

Also if you're going for a hazy one, maybe add some more oats or some wheat L/DME. 20% oats/wheat is sort of a starting point for my hazies.

And I'm with Bubba on the bitterness, it's mainly the 60 minute addition. That one scares me. For the whirlpool, don't leave it too long. Maybe wait 10-20 minutes then steep for 10-20 minutes.

Everything looks reasonable except the BU/GU ratio. I would make adjustments and try to get to the 0.8 range. You’re in the 1.45 range which is exceptionally bitter. I would shoot for the 70-75 IBU range.

Beers taste best when the malt and hops are balanced. There are some good charts out there showing BU/GU ratios typical for each style.

Appreciate your perspective, I will take a look at the charts and give some thought to the BU / GU ratio.

How did your first brew turn out?

I can't make any general comments as I have never done any steeping grain/partial mash brews.

The only input I have is that I see a 60 minute whirlpool hop. I suspect that is a typo. A whirlpool over 20 minutes could result in some grassy flavors.

Good luck with it!

It's been a while since I've done steeping grains, so I may be wrong, but I'd have thought that much Vienna malt is going to make it relatively dark for a IIPA.

I'd add some simple sugar to cut down the body, which will also help the ABV. Without looking it up I thought 10% isn't uncommon for sugar in IIPA.

Also if you're going for a hazy one, maybe add some more oats or some wheat L/DME. 20% oats/wheat is sort of a starting point for my hazies.

And I'm with Bubba on the bitterness, it's mainly the 60 minute addition. That one scares me. For the whirlpool, don't leave it too long. Maybe wait 10-20 minutes then steep for 10-20 minutes.

Still learning about the characteristics added by wheat and oats, and am a fan of hazy. I’ll re-examine the whirlpool additions and timing as well. Thanks for the perspectives.

I'm assuming you are doing a mini mash with the grains? That Vienna malt won't convert without mashing. Otherwise, what is your intention with this brew?

yes you need to mash that Vienna, it's a base malt so just steep it for 60 minutes between 150 and 155

How did your first brew turn out?

I can't make any general comments as I have never done any steeping grain/partial mash brews.

The only input I have is that I see a 60 minute whirlpool hop. I suspect that is a typo. A whirlpool over 20 minutes could result in some grassy flavors.

Good luck with it!

Whirlpool is s to be at 60 min, but not for 60 min.
Just bottled the first today - an American Ale with Citra hops. Tasted pretty good, although warm and flat. Hope it conditions well.

I'm assuming you are doing a mini mash with the grains? That Vienna malt won't convert without mashing. Otherwise, what is your intention with this brew?

Looking to make a good brew! Going for a hoppy and intense IPA. Not doing a mini mash, and not sure how, but curious if that would help. Used this recipe as a base - https://beerandbrewing.com/lawsons-double-sunshine-ipa-recipe/ - Lawson double ipa clone, which uses a large amount of Vienna malt in the extract version.

Some might suggest that you should rebrew your original beer until you have perfected your process to the point that the beer is the same each time. Being a new brewer there is much to learn for which experience is the best teacher.

Some might suggest that you should rebrew your original beer until you have perfected your process to the point that the beer is the same each time. Being a new brewer there is much to learn for which experience is the best teacher.
Craigerrr is stealing my thunder... I recommend this approach to learning brewing: Brew one beer at least a few times to learn the process, then branch out. And the Vienna still needs to be mashed. As mentioned above, just steep it and the rest of your grain at 1 qt per lb of grain at 152 degrees for an hour.

Craigerrr is stealing my thunder... I recommend this approach to learning brewing: Brew one beer at least a few times to learn the process, then branch out. And the Vienna still needs to be mashed. As mentioned above, just steep it and the rest of your grain at 1 qt per lb of grain at 152 degrees for an hour.

Thanks for the perspective and the mash info. Very helpful. I will adjust the ingredients and process accordingly.

Of course when I said "some would say" I meant you Nosybear!

Update and question:
Brewed this one week ago.
Fermentables adjusted to:
6oz CaraMunich; 1lbOat Flakes; 2.5lbs Vienna Malt > mashed at 152F for 45 min
7 lbs golden light LME at boil (45min long)
0.5 lb DME and 2lbs dextrose w 20 min left in boil

Hops:
1oz Columbus for bittering
blended hop Mix - used 3 times> .67oz of each of Centennial, Strata, Mosaic, Neo and Calypso > whirlpooled for 5 min at 200F, And another for 5min at 180, and planning to dry hop Another mix later today or tomorrow.

Original gravity came out way low @ 1.056 compared w 1.081 expected. Poor efficiency w mash technique?
Final gravity of mirrored batch (fermented at higher temps so not a complete mirror) comes in at 1.006. ABV of 6.5% and apparent attenuation of 89%. Tastes dry, without a ton of hops or malt depth (not unexpected I guess).

Should I go with dry hopping the third mix outlined above, or add another 2oz of Eureka along with the mix? Planning to dry hop today or tomorrow, wait two or three days and then start a cold crash for four. Thoughts?

Guess I'll be the guy to disagree with everyone, with the exception of the whirlpooling. MUCH of the beers taste will depend on your hops and hop timings in the boil. This is what the Breweries guard from one another.

As to perfecting a recipe, I disagree. Your actual method is never going to change. It may change a bit beer style from beer style. But most of us prefer one specific style over all others. Mine, is IPA. I love IIPA or IIIPA, but I need to be able to function! That being said, in a perfect world, one of my kegs would always be an IPA and the other a IIPA or IIIPA.

I take it like this. Brewing beer is a lot like life. If you wanna perfect your profession, by all means. If you wanna explore endless possibility, branch out. I brewed the same recipe 3 times, and feel comfortable enough to try all sorts of different things... I'm really exploring with grain combinations and colorings. Hops you have a feeling for from the major breweries. My latest beer, my furthest exploration, has been my best! So that's my advice. Follow your gut, with this, and all things in life!

Update and question:
Brewed this one week ago.
Fermentables adjusted to:
6oz CaraMunich; 1lbOat Flakes; 2.5lbs Vienna Malt > mashed at 152F for 45 min
7 lbs golden light LME at boil (45min long)
0.5 lb DME and 2lbs dextrose w 20 min left in boil

Hops:
1oz Columbus for bittering
blended hop Mix - used 3 times> .67oz of each of Centennial, Strata, Mosaic, Neo and Calypso > whirlpooled for 5 min at 200F, And another for 5min at 180, and planning to dry hop Another mix later today or tomorrow.

Original gravity came out way low @ 1.056 compared w 1.081 expected. Poor efficiency w mash technique?
Final gravity of mirrored batch (fermented at higher temps so not a complete mirror) comes in at 1.006. ABV of 6.5% and apparent attenuation of 89%. Tastes dry, without a ton of hops or malt depth (not unexpected I guess).

Should I go with dry hopping the third mix outlined above, or add another 2oz of Eureka along with the mix? Planning to dry hop today or tomorrow, wait two or three days and then start a cold crash for four. Thoughts?

I'm having the same trouble. Efficiency. Focus on crushing the grains before boil. You should be crushing the hell out of it regardless, and if that fails, have your supplier double mill. Also, increase your mash time by 15 mins, and if that doesn't work, go 30.

That dust you see is gold, so make sure you capture ALL of it!

I brewed the same recipe 3 times, and feel comfortable enough to try all sorts of different things...
This is the best bit of advice I take from this post, there is so much to learn, and you need to get comfortable with your process, and for the recipe not to be a variable. You can work on adjustments until you are hitting your volume and gravity numbers consistently. Once you have confidence in your process, you can try different recipes. With regards to your efficiency/gravity on this batch, I am a little confused as the majority of the fermentables are extract. If you have this recipe loaded in Brewers Friend, could you post a link to it. We can help you dial things in with this recipe until it comes out the way you envision it.

I'm having the same trouble. Efficiency. Focus on crushing the grains before boil. You should be crushing the hell out of it regardless, and if that fails, have your supplier double mill. Also, increase your mash time by 15 mins, and if that doesn't work, go 30.

That dust you see is gold, so make sure you capture ALL of it!
He is brewing extract/partial mash. Crush shouldn't be too much of a factor, but crushing fine and steeping/mashing in a bag would help for sure.

Back