Help my first beer

Carlos B

Trial Member
Reaction score
English:
Hello brew friends, I need your help.

Sorry I don't speak English, I use a translator. In the end I will leave the same in Spanish.

I made my first beer all grain, I made a weissbier.

This is the recipe and the preparation session I do not know if I let them see:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1021121/mi-primer-cerveza-de-trigo
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/brewsession/346608

I will tell you what I do and the problems I had.

Mash 90min 4.5Kg 13.5Lt
Fly Sparge 20 min 75°C
Boil 25 lt 90 min
Hops 18gr Cascade 60 min
Whirfloc 2.5 gr 10 min
Whirpool 5 min in the Boil.
Cool immersion chiller.
cool down to 20 ° C

Problems:
1 The volume before boiling was 25 lt. finish with 18 lt
2 transfer the must to the fermenter but I have a lot left over without flocculation, in the end I only got 15 lt in the fermenter.

I couldn't upload the videos
they are short but they can see the residue and also the 1 day of fermentation
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBa-OxsjX_i-4l1_2sPomRDKSbhUJc06g

can you tell me what I can do not to lose so much in the boil.
how to do with all the protein that was in the bottom, I expected a minimum 18Lt, but I feel that I lost a lot (7 liters in the boil and 3 liters in the bottom of the pot)
I see a lot of material suspended in the fermenter, what can I do?

ESPAÑOL:
Hola amigos cerveceros, necesito su ayuda.

realice mi primera cerveza all grain, hice una weissbier.

aqui les dejo el link de la receta y la preparacion:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1021121/mi-primer-cerveza-de-trigo
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/brewsession/346608

les dire lo que realice y los problemas que tuve.
Mash 90min 4.5Kg 13.5Lt
Fly Sparge 20 min 75°C
Boil 25 lt 90 min
Hops 18gr Cascade 60 min
Whirfloc 2.5 gr 10 min
Whirpool 5 min in the Boil.
Cool immersion chiller.

Problemas:
El volumen antes de el hervido era de 25 lt. finalice con 18 lt
realice el enfriado hasta 20°C
trasvase el mosto a el fermentador pero me quedo mucho remanente sin flocular, al final solo conseguí 15 lt en el fermentador.

pueden decirme como puedo hacer para no perder tanto en el hervor.
como hacer con toda la proteina que quedo en el fondo, esperaba 18Lt minimo, pero siento que perdi mucho (7 litros en el hervor y 3 lt en el fondo de la olla)
veo mucho material suspendido en el fermentador, que puedo hacer?

no pude subir los videos.
son cortos pero pueden ver el residuo y tambien el 1 dia de fermentacion
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBa-OxsjX_i-4l1_2sPomRDKSbhUJc06g

Attachments

• IMG_20200712_000155.jpg
    IMG_20200712_000155.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20200712_171349.jpg
    IMG_20200712_171349.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 61
Sounds like you have problems with post boil volume. The short answer is to reduce the boil time or/and reduce the heat.

New brewers often focus on final boil volume and volume in the fermenter. I would suggest rather to focus on the target gravity. Monitor the gravity during the boil. The easiest way is with a refractometer. Test before the boil, 30 minutes into the boil and 15 minutes prior to the end of the boil. If you starting gravity is too low, you will have a longer boil, you may even delay adding your first hop addition. If the gravity is too high at any time during the boil, you can add distilled water. Adding distill water will not change the mineral content of the wort.

If you don’t have a refractometer, I suggest you get one. I use mine all the time during the mashing and boil to monitor gravity and estimate boil length, I can’t imagine not using one during the brew day.

Some may suggest you can predict your boil off rate, and I believe you can. But I don’t, I rely on the refractometer. There are too many variables to account for to accurately nail the target gravity.

Don’t fret to much with the stuff on the bottom of the fermenter (trub). Trub is always going to be there, try to keep most of it out of the fermenter. If it gets in, don’t worry too much about it. Every brewer has to deal with it.

Do you have the ability to boil a larger amount? Instead of boiling 25 Lt, boil 30 Lt to try and get closer to your target.
You'd have to adjust your recipes to match your boil off rate and the amount of trub left behind. You can build an equipment profile that you can put these numbers into here on BF. You can then adjust your recipe based on your equipment profile.

Don't worry. We all go though this. You are just learning the ins and outs of your equipment. Nearly every time we adjust something in our equipment we have to adjust our recipes in one way or another.
I recommend brewing this exact recipe again with the adjustments made to reach target FG and Volume.

Don't worry about the protein (trub). If you are concerned you can filter through a fine mesh bag and squeeze the wort out on the way to the fermenter. That is part of your losses if you siphoned off just the clear wort. All of the suspended material will settle out after fermentation. You can then siphon the clear beer out before bottling.

Sounds like you have problems with post boil volume. The short answer is to reduce the boil time or/and reduce the heat.

New brewers often focus on final boil volume and volume in the fermenter. I would suggest rather to focus on the target gravity. Monitor the gravity during the boil. The easiest way is with a refractometer. Test before the boil, 30 minutes into the boil and 15 minutes prior to the end of the boil. If you starting gravity is too low, you will have a longer boil, you may even delay adding your first hop addition. If the gravity is too high at any time during the boil, you can add distilled water. Adding distill water will not change the mineral content of the wort.

If you don’t have a refractometer, I suggest you get one. I use mine all the time during the mashing and boil to monitor gravity and estimate boil length, I can’t imagine not using one during the brew day.

Some may suggest you can predict your boil off rate, and I believe you can. But I don’t, I rely on the refractometer. There are too many variables to account for to accurately nail the target gravity.

Don’t fret to much with the stuff on the bottom of the fermenter (trub). Trub is always going to be there, try to keep most of it out of the fermenter. If it gets in, don’t worry too much about it. Every brewer has to deal with it.

Hello friend, that is my problem, but the gravity when starting the boil was 1,035 and at the end of 1,049 it incies with good gravity but low volume, I don't know what my mistake was.

did you see the youtube video? Is everything that is floating normal?

[QUOTE = "Blackmuse, publicación: 110998, miembro: 125"] ¿Tiene la capacidad de hervir una cantidad mayor? En lugar de hervir 25 Lt, hierve 30 Lt para intentar acercarte a tu objetivo.
Tendría que ajustar sus recetas para que coincida con su tasa de ebullición y la cantidad de trub que queda. Puede crear un perfil de equipo en el que puede poner estos números aquí en BF. Luego puede ajustar su receta según el perfil de su equipo.

No te preocupes Todos pasamos por esto. Solo está aprendiendo los entresijos de su equipo. Casi cada vez que ajustamos algo en nuestro equipo tenemos que ajustar nuestras recetas de una forma u otra.
Recomiendo preparar esta receta exacta nuevamente con los ajustes realizados para alcanzar el objetivo FG y el volumen. [/ QUOTE]
Actualizaré la velocidad de evaporación en BF.
¿Cómo puedo hacer una buena mosca sparge? o podría ayudarme en mi próxima receta en 15 días, creo

Hola Carlos,
you should lose approximately 4 liters por hora herviendo. It sounds like you boiled longer than you needed, or you are boiling too vigorously and evaporating too quickly, your wort.
did you take a specific gravity reading of your wort leaving the mash tun at the end of the sparge? if so, what sg did you have at end of sparge, the liquid coming out of the mash tun? you may have more sugars available in the mash (maceracion). you could sparge longer (if sugars are available, more than 1.008 sg) and collect the wort in a bucket, to top off the boil kettle as you boil... this will help with the volume, but obviously lower your final specific gravity post boil. * to do this, be sure that you have at least 30 minutes boil left after your last top off of the Boil Kettle.
you will always lose some volume to the trub in the bottom of the boil kettle as well as you will lose some volume at the bottom of the fermenter. You have to size your equipment to be large enough for these losses and get the volume that you want after fermentation.

Hello friend, that is my problem, but the gravity when starting the boil was 1,035 and at the end of 1,049 it incies with good gravity but low volume, I don't know what my mistake was.

did you see the youtube video? Is everything that is floating normal?
My guess is that your mash extraction rate or efficiency is lower than what your recipe shows. You have a 70% as your efficiency rate, if you change this to your actual number you can estimate the right amount of grain needed to hit your numbers correctly. Use the efficiency calculator to determine your actual efficiency. In guessing it’s @ 60%.

Lowering your efficiency like HighVoltage said will help you hit your OG with the larger volume of water. Updating the evaporation rate in your equip. profile, like you said, and your trub loss will help BF estimate the amount of water better.

I have never built or used a true sparge arm myself so I can't help you there. - Though I also wouldn't recommend changing anything else yet. Focusing on honing in the numbers on your system is first. THEN you can start making adjustments to improve efficiency. - Like a science experiment, if you change too much at once you'll have a hard time pin-pointing problems.

You are actually off to a pretty solid start! I am sure this first beer will taste great!

I can help up to July 30th :) I'll be afk for a bit after that. But honestly, there are lots of folks here to lend a hand!

Reducir su eficiencia, como dijo HighVoltage, lo ayudará a alcanzar su OG con el mayor volumen de agua. Actualización de la tasa de evaporación en su equipo. perfil, como dijiste, y tu pérdida de trub ayudará a BF a estimar mejor la cantidad de agua.

Nunca construí o usé un verdadero brazo de sparge, así que no puedo ayudarlo allí. - Aunque tampoco recomendaría cambiar nada más todavía. Centrarse en perfeccionar los números en su sistema es lo primero. ENTONCES puede comenzar a hacer ajustes para mejorar la eficiencia. - Como en un experimento científico, si cambias demasiado de una vez tendrás dificultades para detectar problemas. De hecho, ¡has tenido un comienzo bastante sólido!

¡Estoy seguro de que esta primera cerveza tendrá un sabor excelente!

Puedo ayudar hasta el 30 de julio :) Estaré afk por un tiempo después de eso. Pero mucha gente aqui puedo ayudar.

Hola Carlos,
you should lose approximately 4 liters por hora herviendo. It sounds like you boiled longer than you needed, or you are boiling too vigorously and evaporating too quickly, your wort.
did you take a specific gravity reading of your wort leaving the mash tun at the end of the sparge? if so, what sg did you have at end of sparge, the liquid coming out of the mash tun? you may have more sugars available in the mash (maceracion). you could sparge longer (if sugars are available, more than 1.008 sg) and collect the wort in a bucket, to top off the boil kettle as you boil... this will help with the volume, but obviously lower your final specific gravity post boil. * to do this, be sure that you have at least 30 minutes boil left after your last top off of the Boil Kettle.
you will always lose some volume to the trub in the bottom of the boil kettle as well as you will lose some volume at the bottom of the fermenter. You have to size your equipment to be large enough for these losses and get the volume that you want after fermentation.

Hi friend. In my Brew session leave the notes of G. At the end of the Mash GF 1,080 After the Fly Sparge, that is, before the Boil 1,036 At the end of the Boil GF 1,050 GO in the fermentor 1,049 Do not take Gravity at the end of washing the fly sparge grain, I will do it in my next preparation.

Lowering your efficiency like HighVoltage said will help you hit your OG with the larger volume of water. Updating the evaporation rate in your equip. profile, like you said, and your trub loss will help BF estimate the amount of water better.

I have never built or used a true sparge arm myself so I can't help you there. - Though I also wouldn't recommend changing anything else yet. Focusing on honing in the numbers on your system is first. THEN you can start making adjustments to improve efficiency. - Like a science experiment, if you change too much at once you'll have a hard time pin-pointing problems.

You are actually off to a pretty solid start! I am sure this first beer will taste great!

I can help up to July 30th :) I'll be afk for a bit after that. But honestly, there are lots of folks here to lend a hand!

Reducir su eficiencia, como dijo HighVoltage, lo ayudará a alcanzar su OG con el mayor volumen de agua. Actualización de la tasa de evaporación en su equipo. perfil, como dijiste, y tu pérdida de trub ayudará a BF a estimar mejor la cantidad de agua.

Nunca construí o usé un verdadero brazo de sparge, así que no puedo ayudarlo allí. - Aunque tampoco recomendaría cambiar nada más todavía. Centrarse en perfeccionar los números en su sistema es lo primero. ENTONCES puede comenzar a hacer ajustes para mejorar la eficiencia. - Como en un experimento científico, si cambias demasiado de una vez tendrás dificultades para detectar problemas. De hecho, ¡has tenido un comienzo bastante sólido!

¡Estoy seguro de que esta primera cerveza tendrá un sabor excelente!

Puedo ayudar hasta el 30 de julio :) Estaré afk por un tiempo después de eso. Pero mucha gente aqui puedo ayudar.

I did not know that it was very important to calculate the efficiency, I do not know how to do it, I will look for a guide. Blackmuse thanks for your help, I will have many doubts do you have Facebook?

Hablas español??
No sabia que era muy importante calcular la eficiencia, no se como hacerlo, buscaré una guía.

Blackmuse gracias por tu ayuda, tendré muchas dudas tienes Facebook?

(if sugars are available, more than 1.008 sg) and collect the wort in a bucket, to top off the boil kettle as you boil... this will help with the volume, but obviously lower your final specific gravity post boil. * to do this, be sure that you have at least 30 minutes boil left after your last top off of the Boil Kettle.
This is a really good idea too!

I did not know that it was very important to calculate the efficiency, I do not know how to do it, I will look for a guide.
HighVoltage's number of 60% sounds like a good starting point.
I recommend 1st building an equipment profile where you manage your boil off rate and trub loss. THEN:
If you go back into the recipe you used, you can make all the adjustments you need to. - Change your efficiency from 70 to 60. Then change your boil size to 30 L. Save the recipe. Your IBUs should change a bit with the increase in boil size but probably not enough to worry about. The drop in effeciency will alter both your IBUs and OG... SO, increase the amount of malt to correct both. I hope this helps. - I should probably make a video but you'd think the programmers here would have already done a bunch! lol

El número de HighVoltage del 60% suena como un buen punto de partida. Recomiendo 1er edificio de un perfil de equipo donde se gestiona su tasa de ebullición y la pérdida de trub. Entonces: Si vuelves a la receta que usaste, puedes hacer todos los ajustes que necesites. - Cambia tu eficiencia de 70 a 60. A continuación, cambie el tamaño de hervor a 30 L. Guarde la receta. Sus IDU deben cambiar un poco con el aumento en el tamaño de ebullición, pero probablemente no lo suficiente para preocuparse. La caída en la eficiencia alterará tanto sus IDU como OG... ASÍ, aumentar la cantidad de malta para corregir ambos. Espero que esto ayude. - Probablemente debería hacer un video, pero usted pensaría que los programadores aquí ya habría hecho un montón!

Hablas español??
Si, hablo espanol pero no muy bien. Pero, Mi Aleman est un poquito mejor. Yo use un traductor para la dificil traduccion. Yo no tengo Facebook pero yo tengo Instagram: Shuttz_Icehaus.

Que es mi espanol sin un traductor.
:)

HighVoltage's number of 60% sounds like a good starting point.
I recommend 1st building an equipment profile where you manage your boil off rate and trub loss. THEN:
If you go back into the recipe you used, you can make all the adjustments you need to. - Change your efficiency from 70 to 60. Then change your boil size to 30 L. Save the recipe. Your IBUs should change a bit with the increase in boil size but probably not enough to worry about. The drop in effeciency will alter both your IBUs and OG... SO, increase the amount of malt to correct both. I hope this helps. - I should probably make a video but you'd think the programmers here would have already done a bunch! lol

El número de HighVoltage del 60% suena como un buen punto de partida. Recomiendo 1er edificio de un perfil de equipo donde se gestiona su tasa de ebullición y la pérdida de trub. Entonces: Si vuelves a la receta que usaste, puedes hacer todos los ajustes que necesites. - Cambia tu eficiencia de 70 a 60. A continuación, cambie el tamaño de hervor a 30 L. Guarde la receta. Sus IDU deben cambiar un poco con el aumento en el tamaño de ebullición, pero probablemente no lo suficiente para preocuparse. La caída en la eficiencia alterará tanto sus IDU como OG... ASÍ, aumentar la cantidad de malta para corregir ambos. Espero que esto ayude. - Probablemente debería hacer un video, pero usted pensaría que los programadores aquí ya habría hecho un montón!

Hello friend, use the efficiency calculator.
This is the results, but I don't understand which one to use.

Brew house

How much wort went into the fermentor 15 lt
OG 1.049
Result = 52.35%

Pre - boil
How much wort went into the kettle 25 lt
OG 1.036
Result = 64.1%

Ending ketle
Ending kettle volume 17lt
OG 1.050
Result = 60.5%

I don't know if I did it right, I can't quite understand this calculation.
Thank you for your help

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200714_211726_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200714_211726_com.android.chrome.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 63
  • Screenshot_20200714_223234_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200714_223234_com.android.chrome.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 65
  • Screenshot_20200714_223510_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200714_223510_com.android.chrome.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 59
You would use your Brew House. However, I wouldn't go that low on efficiency. I would maybe still try that 60% number and see about how you can reduce trub loss by a litre or two. If you have the ability to drill a port and add a stainless steel valve and screen to your kettle, that would help. However, simply trying to tip your kettle to get more wort with however you're siphoning should help enough without any cost.

Screen shot your recipe as is - save the pic so you can reference it and then edit your recipe. Change your efficiency to 60% and increase your boil size to 30L. Then adjust your grain bill to match the number on your first recipe: OG, IBU and grain bill percent.

Someone feel free to let me know if I am missing anything.

Usarías tu Brew House. Sin embargo, yo no iría tan bajo en eficiencia. Tal vez todavía probar ese 60% número y ver acerca de cómo se puede reducir la pérdida de trub en un litro o dos. Si usted tiene la capacidad de perforar un puerto y añadir una válvula de acero inoxidable y una pantalla a su hervidor de agua, eso ayudaría. Sin embargo, simplemente tratar de inclinar su hervidor de agua para obtener más mosto con sin embargo usted está sifoneando debe ayudar lo suficiente sin ningún costo.

Captura de pantalla su receta tal cual - guardar la imagen para que pueda hacer referencia a ella y luego editar su receta. Cambie su eficiencia al 60% y aumente su tamaño de ebullición a 30L. A continuación, ajuste su factura de grano para que coincida con el número de su primera receta: OG, IBU y porcentaje de factura de grano.

Alguien se siente libre de hacerme saber si me estoy perdiendo algo.

I can’t disagree.

Carlos, you likely will find the more you brew the better your numbers will get and the more confidence you will gain. Practice makes perfect, keep brewing and enjoy the fruits of your labor!

You would use your Brew House. However, I wouldn't go that low on efficiency. I would maybe still try that 60% number and see about how you can reduce trub loss by a litre or two. If you have the ability to drill a port and add a stainless steel valve and screen to your kettle, that would help. However, simply trying to tip your kettle to get more wort with however you're siphoning should help enough without any cost.

Screen shot your recipe as is - save the pic so you can reference it and then edit your recipe. Change your efficiency to 60% and increase your boil size to 30L. Then adjust your grain bill to match the number on your first recipe: OG, IBU and grain bill percent.

Someone feel free to let me know if I am missing anything.

Usarías tu Brew House. Sin embargo, yo no iría tan bajo en eficiencia. Tal vez todavía probar ese 60% número y ver acerca de cómo se puede reducir la pérdida de trub en un litro o dos. Si usted tiene la capacidad de perforar un puerto y añadir una válvula de acero inoxidable y una pantalla a su hervidor de agua, eso ayudaría. Sin embargo, simplemente tratar de inclinar su hervidor de agua para obtener más mosto con sin embargo usted está sifoneando debe ayudar lo suficiente sin ningún costo.

Captura de pantalla su receta tal cual - guardar la imagen para que pueda hacer referencia a ella y luego editar su receta. Cambie su eficiencia al 60% y aumente su tamaño de ebullición a 30L. A continuación, ajuste su factura de grano para que coincida con el número de su primera receta: OG, IBU y porcentaje de factura de grano.

Alguien se siente libre de hacerme saber si me estoy perdiendo algo.
M

Thank you very much, I'm going to change the efficiency, adjust the recipe and put the catch down
Why change the boil size to 30lt?
HighVoltageMan! Thank you for your input, I will do many more to perfect

Why change the boil size to 30lt?
Because it appears that you have boiled off and lost more to trub than expected. 7+3 = 10 Litres. 20 Litres in fermenter if you use 30 L and lose the same amount. If you manage to mitigate some of your trub loss you will gain a bit more in the fermentor which will help you bottle/keg exactly 19-20L.

My final goal is always 5 gallons in the keg so I like to have 5.5 gallons in the fermentor.

Because it appears that you have boiled off and lost more to trub than expected. 7+3 = 10 Litres. 20 Litres in fermenter if you use 30 L and lose the same amount. If you manage to mitigate some of your trub loss you will gain a bit more in the fermentor which will help you bottle/keg exactly 19-20L.

My final goal is always 5 gallons in the keg so I like to have 5.5 gallons in the fermentor.

Change the fermentor setting
Image 1
Boil evaporate rate : 6lt/hr
Kettle dead space: I think 2 lt
Misc losses 0.5lt
Olverage efficiency 60%
Lauter dead space 5lt
I intend to pass all the must to the kettle, then wash the grains and let drain until 30lt is completed in the kettle "Sparge"

I modified the recipe and I leave the lick the data they changed were :
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1019539/cerveza-trigo-editando

Efficiency 60%. (70%)
Pre boil 30lt - post 21 lt. (26 to 20)
Fermentables
3kg bestmalz wheat. (2.5)
2.2 bestmalz pilsen (2)
OG 1.049. (1. 049)
FG 1.010. (1.010)
IBU 13.28. (13.98)
SRM 4.19 (4.19)
The values between () are from the first recipe.

Gracias Blackmuse

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200715_171020_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200715_171020_com.android.chrome.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 63

Back