That 70s Beer...

Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Had the thought on the way home tonight...why not brew a beer like some enterprising young farm lad would have liberated from his grandpa's spring house in the late 80s/early 90s(a tactic perfected by his older cousins in the 1970s)...

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1007361/that-70s-beer

Already heating up the water...can almost taste the good old Red, White and Blue....

I hope the brew session is going well!

Well I had a stuck sparge at the tail end and didn't realize it, late night/lack of sleep maybe? left more than a quart extra in the tun. final gravity was 1.051, .006 higher than expected...it will be beer though.

Nothing to worry about there.

I would 100 percent change the yeast to S-23. The US-05 is going to leave the fruity, more hop-forward flavor of a blonde ale. Won't be bad but even at ale temps, the S-23 will clean up much better and give a lot more rich malt in the flavor. More like a Kolsch and perfect for a Cream Ale/ American Lager.
Otherwise, it looks great!!

I would 100 percent change the yeast to S-23. The US-05 is going to leave the fruity, more hop-forward flavor of a blonde ale. Won't be bad but even at ale temps, the S-23 will clean up much better and give a lot more rich malt in the flavor. More like a Kolsch and perfect for a Cream Ale/ American Lager.
Otherwise, it looks great!!

I thought about 34/70, Dad being allergic to lager yeast tipped it back to US/05. Never used s-23, been thinking about trying Mangrove Jacks M54, I read it's repackaged Mauribrew 497, it that's the case, Dad should be able to tolerate it.(being TECHNICALLY an ale yeast).

Reactions: J A
I thought about 34/70, Dad being allergic to lager yeast tipped it back to US/05.
I remember, now that you mention it, about your accommodating your dad's allergies. That would make sense then. I will say that I've found S-04 a little more neutral in beers like this and have done a few "lager/blonde" ales with it.
I have a pound of the 497 and I'm eager to see what it does with a Lager-style beer. If it's anything like the WLP810 (as it seems to be), it'll make either hoppy ale or clean lager very, very nicely and I'd opt for it to be my only yeast.

I remember, now that you mention it, about your accommodating your dad's allergies. That would make sense then. I will say that I've found S-04 a little more neutral in beers like this and have done a few "lager/blonde" ales with it.
I have a pound of the 497 and I'm eager to see what it does with a Lager-style beer. If it's anything like the WLP810 (as it seems to be), it'll make either hoppy ale or clean lager very, very nicely and I'd opt for it to be my only yeast.
I’ve looked into 497, seems like it would be a good house yeast for what I brew. May have to give it a try.

I’ve looked into 497, seems like it would be a good house yeast for what I brew. May have to give it a try.
Label Peelers still has it for $45 for the 500g bag. It's a commitment but it cheaper pitching by far than you can do with anything else. ;)

Label Peelers still has it for $45 for the 500g bag. It's a commitment but it cheaper pitching by far than you can do with anything else. ;)
Thank's for the tip, just ordered some. Hopefully it gets here in time to pitch "Dirty Bohemian" next weekend. I'm down to 3 bottles of the last batch...

Thank's for the tip, just ordered some. Hopefully it gets here in time to pitch "Dirty Bohemian" next weekend. I'm down to 3 bottles of the last batch...
You'll probably brew with it before I get a chance to. I'm still working on the glut of cancelled-wedding beer I have on hand. Though I'm eager to brew something different, it may be the end of the summer before I get enough room for more beer. :D
Let us know how it works for you.

Back