Munich Malt

Steve SPF

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I have some Munich malt and would like to use it up. Looking around, it doesn't seem to be a simple malt to use, particularly as a base malt, any experience or recipe ideas?

I use Munich malt all the time! First, it's great on its own (or mixed with a lighter malt) for making very malty German lagers. I tend to use it in smaller amounts as a character malt in pale ales and some IPAs. A pound or so in an American pale ale is very nice.

You can use it as a base malt - it should convert itself. I love it, in fact, I rarely use Crystal any more, it's Munich for toasty, dark-bread flavors. I respectfully disagree with Yooper - APA is one of the few beers that really need Crystal for flavor - but can see Munich in it.

A pound or so in an American pale ale is very nice.
That's what I do as well, works really well. Adds a touch malt character and color without sweetness. Keeps the beer crushable.

I have some Munich malt and would like to use it up. Looking around, it doesn't seem to be a simple malt to use, particularly as a base malt, any experience or recipe ideas?
I had purchased 50 kg of Munich for use.
I ended up finding myself not using it for any of my recipes, or very few anyways. So I ended up in a similar situation, needing to use it.... I jumped in with both feet and made some ales, high in Munich (52 - 77 %).. I include some Pilsner (I use Pilsner in everything) to help with enzymes.. not so much for the Munich malt but to help with Oats and Wheat additions.
I was pleasantly surprised how easy it is to use Munich and the orange tint to color is nice as well... the beers are very nice.
I won't be purchasing large amounts any more, but will use Munich in moderation in the future.

Brilliant, thanks folks. Any recipe links?

I'm thinking something light. I have some Chinook and Cascade plus US05 so thinking I can do something pale/light with a low ABV and lots of hoppy notes.

There's Munich and then there's Munich. There's more variation in color than most malts. How dark is it? If it's the darker varieties it may be a little troublesome with conversion but those are pretty rich, anyway and benefit from mixing. Lighter stuff should be just fine for single malt but expect a pretty "sweet" finish.
My Munich is 15L and I use it in place of Crystal malt and it makes it's way into every recipe that's not a pilsner or blonde. For Oktoberfest and dark beers the percentage is pretty high.

EBC is 14. If I could use it as a base that would be interesting. I have lots of Maris Otter, lots of extra pale and lots of caramalt too but not much else.

I'm very interested that it can be used in place of crystal, crystal is something I don't have at the moment.

I just started using Munich. I recently have used in my first saison (cold crashing right now) nice color not too sweet. I think it would also be great in a SMaSH.

Hey Steve, if interested.. here is what I just bottled and I am very happy with it.
I will give percentages .. you adjust the ABV as you like... mine ended at 7.1%
46% Munich
18% Wheat malt
27% Pilsen (your MO or EPA would work here)
6% Flaked Oats
4% Table sugar (could be avoided, just a boost to ABV for me)
I use Nugget (bitter) and Saaz for 20 and 10 min adds, because I like Saaz
SRM finished at 7
mashed at 148 F
90 minute mash (for Pilsen)
90 minute boil

EBC is 14. If I could use it as a base that would be interesting. I have lots of Maris Otter, lots of extra pale and lots of caramalt too but not much else.

I'm very interested that it can be used in place of crystal, crystal is something I don't have at the moment.
That's 7 degrees Lovibond.... Should convert itself nicely! You can make an Oktoberfest out of it with nothing else except perhaps acid malt if you need it and Carapils if you like. Cut it 50-50 with the Pale Malt and you have a Vienna Lager of sorts. It's fairly light so should make a noticeably malty but very drinkable beer on its own.

Just to pile on to what a lot of others have already stated...

I also use Munich as a sub for light Crystal malts from time to time. Disclaimer: I don't think "substitute" is very accurate though since I don't perceive them the same at all. I just "prefer" the bready, malty, soft-pretzel like flavor I get from (light) Munich as opposed to the sweetness from Crystal. To each their own, I suppose. The Munichs I use are (light) 10L and (dark) 20L.

For your 14EBC Munich... maybe a Marzen/Oktoberfest???
Or an American Pale???

Or if you just want to get rid of it, send it to Megary, c/o Brewer's Friend. Yooper will take it from there. :)

Last edited:
Or if you just want to get rid of it, send it to Megary, c/o Brewer's Friend. Yooper will take it from there. :)

It hasn't come to that yet but thanks for the offer :)

Great thread to read here. My mentor said to taste the different malts and if you liked them - try a brew with them. The only mistake has been to like them "too much". Yes on the crystal in APA. I do it to offset the stronger hops. It is so much fun to add an ounce of this and that and see what it does. Rarely disappointed and "Ya can't get that at the store".

It's going to be a table beer I think. That looks like a traditional Belgian style with a low ABV and plenty of malt/hop flavours. I can dry hop with Cascade..

I also use Munich as a sub for light Crystal malts from time to time. Disclaimer: I don't think "substitute" is very accurate though since I don't perceive them the same at all. I just "prefer" the bready, malty, soft-pretzel like flavor I get from (light) Munich as opposed to the sweetness from Crystal.
Yes! That^^^
I don't like the cloying quality of Crystal malts in higher percentages. Munich, light or dark, keeps a malty flavor and much more complex character than the caramel-sweet C-malts.

I will echo a lot of the sentiments here. I love Munich malt and use Weyermann I and II which is about 6L and 9L. I rarely use crystal malt anymore either as the my two primary malts these days are pilsner and munich.

I think you could easily get away with 80% of a mild base malt and 20% munich (your 7L) for a good sessionable beer.

Last edited:
It's in the kettle now, what an amazing rich dark colour; wasn't expecting that.

I've gone for a Belgian style 'table beer', split the Munich 50/50 with Extra Pale and added my usual torrified wheat and rolled oats. ABV should be 3.5% ish.

I'm really interested in old/traditional styles so this is right up my street. I've also been asked for a sessionable beer for an event in September and this could well fit the bill; see what it looks like on the other side!

This is the result. It's a 3.4% table beer. This is the cask version, the keg version is even better.

Munich malt is definitely a staple from now on, super impressive.

20200703_133532.jpg

Back