Using Voss Kviek for a pilsner style

Yeah a fair while back I did a cool fermented lager girst beer with a noble hop addition with imperial yeasts Loki Kviek Yeast.

Was reading my notes and remember this one had some sulphur in it! Yep i remember asking around on here if anyone else has got sulphur from Voss before.
It stuck around for a bit beer was well balance finished 1.008 but had a farty smell to it.
I'm sure i fermented it pretty cool too to try and do what your looking for to suppress the esters.

Ah just had a look I pitched ontop of a full yeast cake at 27c so lesson learned which I've since found is pitch lower than normal on the Kviek strains.
Maybe this huge over pitch produced the sulphur.
Man I kegged the beer 3 days in it was at 1.008 ha so maybe some settling time might of helped too.

Anyhow just my mistake riden 2c don't let me put you off just don't do what I did ;).

Ah that's interesting! That's wild the beer was done in three days. Makes me even more excited to give this a shot.

I hadn't thought of under pitching. I associated under pitching voss with pushing for the fruity esters, but I wonder if at lower (normal ale) temps it wouldn't produce as many.

Ah that's interesting! That's wild the beer was done in three days. Makes me even more excited to give this a shot.

I hadn't thought of under pitching. I associated under pitching voss with pushing for the fruity esters, but I wonder if at lower (normal ale) temps it wouldn't produce as many.
That usually the case and I assume the same with Voss. I've always fermented it at the extreme end of the temp range 39c.
You'll find it'll be done before you know it!
The beauty about kviek is it's quick turnaround time you can easy brew one week drink the next.
I know that Voss can throw some citrusy flavours I get a lemon/orange rind type thing from it.
Prefer hornindal Kviek actually and have been using that for ale preferably hoppy ales. But it's done good in the most recent stout and I even pushed it in a 13% mead so far.

Now one strain Skare Kviek I've fermented a lager beer recently and it performed perfectly i found it was ok at first but really hit it's stride about a month in. (Took a bit to clear).
So for lager like which is it's descriptor that Skare is best and gets it done hot like 35c hot!.

I'm doing a side by side split batch taste comparrison atm with another brewer he's fermenting Skare and I'm using fermentis Swiss Lager yeast S-189.
He let me know this arvo that its currently ripping in to his batch at 28c and said it'll be done soon as in prob tomorrow lol:p!
Will do a side by side on BF in a couple of weeks time...

I'm doing a side by side split batch taste comparrison atm with another brewer he's fermenting Skare and I'm using fermentis Swiss Lager yeast S-189.
He let me know this arvo that its currently ripping in to his batch at 28c and said it'll be done soon as in prob tomorrow lol:p!
Will do a side by side on BF in a couple of weeks time...

Will you be doing a write up for the BF Blog? If not I think you should as people will want to see an article like that! - Without having to dig through the forums :)

A brewery around here uses Kveik in a lot of beers and I swear I can always tell - has a distinct tang to it. Not sure of their proceedure but I recognize the taste.... Makes me nervous to try the strain - though I admittedly bought 2 pouches recently. I love dry yeast!

Will you be doing a write up for the BF Blog? If not I think you should as people will want to see an article like that! - Without having to dig through the forums :)

A brewery around here uses Kveik in a lot of beers and I swear I can always tell - has a distinct tang to it. Not sure of their proceedure but I recognize the taste.... Makes me nervous to try the strain - though I admittedly bought 2 pouches recently. I love dry yeast!
I'm not sure my Grammar is up to scratch for log writing ha! Yeah for sure it does have some temperamental behaviours. And I find it can be overly bitter sometimes too maybe spicey more so Voss i found. Hey I'm def no pro when it comes to kviek yeast that's for certain as with all things brewing I'm curious about this yeast and all I'm doing is expressing my personal opinion about what I'm tasting /observing with this these isolated kviek strains.
For instance talking to that new brewer who I split this weekend's batch with this arvo I found the first pitch of (Skare) Kviek took it's merry time to take off threw a really wheat beer like Krausen which hung around for 5 days about the same amount of time the fermentation took.
Now he told me this arvo that it's ripping along and that he expects it'll be all over red rover tomorrow much different to my observation.
Now I pitched dry kviek yeast (was first pitch) which had travelled to me via UK somewhere pretty much half way around the world! so maybe this is why it was a bit sleepy and didn't explode out that gates like it's doing this brew round.
I gave old mate a 330ml bottle of Skare Slurry and said oh pitch half into this batch. I'd say the bottle wasn't full of slurry prob 200ml of slurry.

Moral of the story one pitch of yeast having different wort make up varying pitch amount and temp can perform and produce maybe different results batch /batch but I'm sure it will perform roughly within it's characteristics which when it some to this Kviek can be pretty Broad.:rolleyes:.

Anyhow I'm harping on now...

Last edited:
Well, if you decide to do a write up I can proof read for you. - I have a degree in English Teaching. :)

I think there is a "kveik" note to beers fermented with it, but they can ferment out really clean and clear so I think it's worth trying regardless.

Woah, nice! I had a feeling I wasn't going to avoid the fruity esters completely. I love them in the pale ale I make with Voss, but it will be interesting how it tastes with the pilsner style. Guess I'll find out. I'm finally brewing tomorrow.

Sidenote, it cracked me up the article that the US brewery called the pilsner they made brewed with Kveik "Ameripils". Norwegian yeast, Czech ingredients, and a dash of USA baby!

We are the Melting Pot!
Sounds true to me a southern observer of the real time beer trend in America it seems to influence the entire globe at times.:rolleyes:

Anything to do with beer Americans just have to be in amongst it-one thing I'm proud of being an Aussie ;)

I say do it! Some of these kveik strains work extremely well no matter the circumstances. I'm brewing a blonde ale with a commercially packaged dried Voss strain this weekend. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

I brewed a “Pilsner” with Voss a few weeks ago. Bottle will be ready to try Monday, I’ll post results. I did go in the upper range of alcohol % for a Pilsner since Voss likes higher OG. I actually bottled a “Helles Bock” using a Voss on Monday. I bottle so the “waiting is the hardest part” to quote Petty

Yeah I'm curious to hear how it turns out.

I brewed a “Pilsner” with Voss a few weeks ago. Bottle will be ready to try Monday, I’ll post results. I did go in the upper range of alcohol % for a Pilsner since Voss likes higher OG. I actually bottled a “Helles Bock” using a Voss on Monday. I bottle so the “waiting is the hardest part” to quote Petty
Interesting that you say VOSS likes higher OG. I used it in a 1041 NEIPA, it fermented clean, and seemed quite happy with the low OG

Just going by information I’ve seen for the yeast. I want to try lower OG beers with it
I have a thread with some questions and Yooper said lower gravity is ok. I’m trying that soon.

Last edited:
Just to update - this turned out fantastic! I'm honestly blown away at how clean it is. There are some fruity notes, but they are not strong at all and actually works quite well with the saaz.

It's only been in the bottle 3-4 days and aside from being under carbonated it tastes more or less ready to drink. I pitched a full pack of Voss at room temp and let it go for 10 days before bottling.

Cheers guys! I'm definitely going to be brewing this regularly.

Attachments

• IMG_3598.JPG
    IMG_3598.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 215

Back