New Wort over Yeast Cake

Over The Cliff Brewing

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Tell me if you guys ever done this. I have a session IPA in my new Ss Brewtech fermentor ready for the keg. Before I keg it I plan to brew another IPA and pour that wort right into the fermentor once i have racked to a keg. I am going to try and drain the kettle into the fermentor thru the hole in the top so to cut down on exposure. Am I nuts?

BTW I'm going from 5.6% ABV to 9.7% ABV in the process.

Last edited:
I've never done this but it sounds doable. You are going to a significantly higher gravity beer so, you probably aren't over pitching, and you are going from IPA to IPA. I assume hops are same or similar. You probably wouldn't want to go from a West Coast IPA to a New England IPA.

I've done it with lagers quite often. I have a conical and close the valve to isolate the yeast, then clean the rest of the fermenter. Add the wort and open the valve and Wala! Lots of good lager yeast for a good fermentation.

As long as everything is squeaky clean, it's a great way to brew!!

Planning to do that soon. The Schwarzbier is finishing up now and getting ready for a Baltic Porter for the next iteration.

I've done it before, I usually just dump the yeast from my cleaner brews into a sanitized pickle jar, from there I split it up into pints for lager yeast and 1/2 pints for ale yeast. Just pull a jar out of the yeast fridge night before I brew and dump it into the primary on top of the fresh wort.

It sounds like what I plan to do will not work unless the fermenter is cleaned. What am I missing here?

It will work. Just depends on your OCD, cleanliness and timings. Some people like to change fermenters but plenty of people don't.

For my next batch I'll probably grab the yeast cake and put in a 5 litre fermenter just to give me the flexibility on when I'll brew.

Between COVID-19 hand washing and beer brewing washing and sanitizing, my hands are dry as plywood. I'm really good with part of brewing.

I've done it with throwing applejuice on the old trub and it worked fine

Duplicate post.
Sorry

Last edited:
I've done it many times! Just did it this past weekend - from an American lager to a porter. Yeast took right off! Works well.

Update...vigorous activity for 2 1/2 days, but then nothing. I'll check the gravity. If it's still high should I re-pitch some yeast to keep it moving downward?

Update...vigorous activity for 2 1/2 days, but then nothing. I'll check the gravity. If it's still high should I re-pitch some yeast to keep it moving downward?

I wouldn't. Two and a half days of vigorous activity sounds pretty good. I'm sure your gravity will show a large drop but, it will continue to slowly drop over the next week or two.

I've been using an old bread machine. Works great!
I love the process, so I have taken to gloving my battered hands when working with bread. Gloved hands are essential when I sanitize during the brewing and bottling process. Unfortunately, my hands are a battleground, due to eczema.

I wouldn't. Two and a half days of vigorous activity sounds pretty good. I'm sure your gravity will show a large drop but, it will continue to slowly drop over the next week or two.
I pitched yeast slurry from a previous batch when I brewed 4 weeks ago. Fermentation kicked off quickly, and was vigorous for a few days, then slowed as krausen dropped out. Now, 4 weeks later, there is still some bubbling of the airlock, and the sporadic rise of trub on a bubble, but the beer is clearing nicely. I want to use the yeast slurry from that batch for the next, so I need to plan a bottling and brewing day.

Back