• Definitely - sure fire infection, get rid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hang on in there and taste it when it stops fermenting

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters

Beer Foundry

Premium Member
Reaction score
I am on all grain brew #47 so no expert, but not a novice either.

I brewed my first Kellerbier at the weekend and pitched a starter of White Labs - Old Bavarian Lager Yeast WLP920 (liquid yeast, in date, kept in the fridge).

Fermentation took a day or so to get going and I can't keep the temperature down as sod's law we are having a warm spell of weather here in the UK, unusually! It's at roughly 16 deg C rather than 12 deg C.

Anyway, as I get close to the FV, I get this distinct smell which I have not experienced before, and it is definitely coming from the airlock. It isn't quite like rotten eggs, but it certainly not pleasant.

Is this what some yeasts smell like? Or is this a sure sign of an infection and I should dump the lot?

Thanks for any helkp/advice.

I'd let it finish fermenting and then sit for a few days. I've had a few unusual smells come from the fermenter, but the yeast cleaned it up with a bit of time.

I say let it ride. The first time I brewed a lager (an oktoberfest) I was amazed at the sulfur smell generated during fermentation. If I hadn't read on the forums to expect this, I would seriously considered dumping it.

Lager yeast produces a lot of sulfur! Ignore it!
Keep everything clean and avoid any outside air getting and you'll be fine.
I've had sulfur in the beer right up to kegging but blowing off the CO2 a few times clears it out just fine. If you're planning to bottle, you need to lager (cold-store) sufficiently before bottling so that sulfur can dissipate naturally.

I say let it ride. The first time I brewed a lager (an oktoberfest) I was amazed at the sulfur smell generated during fermentation. If I hadn't read on the forums to expect this, I would seriously considered dumping it.

Thanks @BarbarianBrewer - that's very reassuring. I had never heard this was a 'thing' before. They should warn you on the packet!! Maybe it's a warning to those who dare go near the dark side to brew a lager.

What would the brewing world do without all of you guys! You are amazing. Thank you.

Back