Log entry volume units not responding correctly

n3rdb0y

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I've recently done a brew session where I got an efficiency value of 320% (!!!). Obviously this was incorrect. After confirming that I've measured/entered everything correctly, I have done some playing around with the log entry and found:
  • The pre-boil sample log entry box shows litres as the default volume unit (correctly, per my default preferences)
  • I enter a number in the volume box (as well as SG) and press save.
  • The efficiency calcluation for pre-boil shows as 320%. The log entry shows the volume in litres.
  • I open the log entry again, select gallons, then (without saving) select litres, then save.
  • The efficiency calculation now shows the correct 85% efficiency. The log entry shows the volume in litres.
  • This all happened in brew session https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/brewsession/328654
  • Opening the log entry and changing the unit between litres/gallons now does seem to update the efficiency/PPG as expected (320% for gallons, 85% for litres). It *seems* to be only the first save where this is unreliable, though it doesn't happen every time, so could be a race condition ?
I've also found another example of this in a previous brew session (https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/brewsession/313651), which I haven't touched - in case you would like to go look further. Not sure if brew sessions can be made public for you to look though ?

Apologies again for finding these bugs. I work in dev/devops by day, so I guess this is in my nature :)

thanks
Ben

See attached screenshot of older brew session 313651, showing 320% efficiency, despite log entry showing litres. I haven't opened/resaved the log entry on this one in case you want to dig further.

Attachments

• old-bad-efficiency.png
    old-bad-efficiency.png
    63.5 KB · Views: 142
This is extremely helpful, thanks for looking into it further and finding the bug!

I'm passing it over to the devs until I have time this afternoon.

@n3rdb0y

Like you said the issue was due to the unit error in the formula for some reason using the gallons value instead of the desired liters.

We've submitted a ticket to the developers, once there's an update we will followup in this thread as it moves to beta testing and again once the patch goes live.

Thanks for the follow-up!

@n3rdb0y

One of the devs opened up your account and found the issue was actually due to the joe white custom fermentables not registered as "milled" in your inventory. Changing that, the unexpectedly high efficiency is no longer occurring.

Let me know if you notice any issues again.

Back