April 7, 2020 Updates

Yooper

Administrator
Lifetime Member
Staff member
Established Member
Reaction score
We always post our changelog in our "learn" pages: https://docs.brewersfriend.com/changelog

In case you may have noticed some new features, this list will show you the entire changelog:

Release Notes

2020-04-07
Added
  • Recipe Builder - Ingredient and recipe cost.

• Recipe Builder - Units for yeast. Now supports grams, oz, etc.

• Recipe Builder - Ingredient cost to scaling.

• Recipe Builder - lb, oz, g, and kg to fermentable units.

• Recipe Builder - Ingredient dropdowns now organize inventories for groups, with country flags (for fermentables) and inventory tags.

• Recipe View - Recipe cost.

• Recipe View - Country flag to fermentables.

• Recipe Versions - Recipe cost to compare.

• Brew Sessions - Tank column for group brew sessions with a tank assigned.

• Brew Sessions - Auto increment batch code.

• Brew Sessions - Brew Log Entry updated UI.

• Brew Sessions - Multiple devices to one brew session.

• Brew Sessions - Auto create brew logs with future events for dry hopping.

• Brew Session - Start brew inventory deduction - inventory tags and inventory updated date.

• Pro Group Tanks - Created a Partial Transfer event.

• Pro Equipment - Added temperature unit conversion to use default units.

• Pro Tank Logs - Adds a Tank transfer button to tank logs page for moving beer from a fermenter to a bright tank. Also adds bright tank and barrel icons for fermentation vessel.

• Pro Tank Logs - Event Notifications for future events, great for Dry Hop reminders.

• Pro Tank Logs - Current tank bar at the top to quickly see what beer is currently in a tank.

• Inventory - For Pro Groups you can now import your BSG Invoice and all ingredients will be added to your inventory.

• Inventory - Tags, Unit Price, Milled fields.

• Inventory - PPG, Diastatic and Lovibond moved to tooltip to save space in inventory table.

• Inventory - Add Inventory modal updated to cleaner UI.

• Inventory - Search Filter will show items in your inventory that match your search.

• Inventory - Units for yeast. Now supports grams, oz, etc.

• Inventory - Country flag to fermentables.

• Shopping - Search Filter will show items in your shopping list that match your search.

• Shopping - Unit Price, Milled fields.

• Shopping - Add Item modal updated to cleaner UI.

• Shopping - Convert to inventory will now copy estimated price to inventory price and also copy the milled option.

• Shopping - Units for yeast. Now supports grams, oz, etc.

• Shopping - Country flag to fermentables.

• Shopping - Convert to group inventory and tag options.

• Brew Logs - Event Notifications for future events, great for Dry Hop reminders.

• My Recipes - Cost column.

• My Brew Sessions - Starting a brew session now allows blending and splitting batches.

• My Brew Sessions - Editing a brew session now allows blending and splitting batches.
Fixed
  • Recipe Builder - Occasional Invalid ingredient error editing.

• Recipe Builder - Loading deleted inventory ingredients.

• Recipe Builder - Recipe scaling yeast.

• Recipe Builder - With the addition of post boil size using target fermenter the IBU calculation should use this instead of batch size as used with a target of kettle.

• Brew Session - Start brew inventory deduction for multiple same ingredients in a recipe.

• Recipe Versions - Inventory ingredient item names showing.

• Inventory - Group editing permission error.

• Shopping - Saving country with fermentables.

• Groups - Group invite and mobile nav menu.
  • Brew Session - Sorting columns
  • Brew Session - "+X Days"
  • Brew Session - OG using earliest log entry instead of brew day complete or recipe Est. OG
  • Sorting in my tables (my recipe, my brew session, inventory, shopping list)
That's the list- but we here at Brewer's Friend always want to provide a "translation" for any issues that you may have with not knowing what this means to your use and brewing. I'll add a few descriptions of these features, and I'll ask @Pricelessbrewing to contribute as well.

Our goal is to be transparent with what we are doing, how it affects our customers, and allow you to ask questions as well as offer criticism on things that you don't care for.

This was a big release, so we'll be adding these descriptions as time permits and/or questions arise. Thank you so much for being a part of the Brewer's Friend family!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice update, folks. Thanks for the continuous improvement!

I like the more refined touch to 'Brew Sessions - Brew Log Entry updated UI'. I did find one issue however with a current brew session of mine, where the "Days" are miscalculated. They range from +104 to -18343! This is messing up the ABV and Attenuation calcs.

• Recipe Builder - Ingredient and recipe cost.
  • Recipe View - Recipe cost
  • Recipe Builder - Ingredient cost to scaling.
Those should be self explanatory. If you add your ingredient cost to your inventory, your recipe will display your total costs:
upload_2020-4-7_12-7-25.png

• Recipe View - Country flag to fermentables (see screenshot above for the flag by the grain)

These two features have been asked for by you and now we've got them!
  • Recipe Builder - Units for yeast. Now supports grams, oz, etc.: Some of use XXX grams of yeast instead of one package, and so this enables you to add the desired quantity of yeast as needed.
  • Recipe Builder - lb, oz, g, and kg to fermentable units: Many of use mix metric and imperial measurements; say, 100 grams of hops, 20 pounds of grain, maybe a kilo of sugar, etc. Now the recipe builder supports those mixed measurements.

For our Plus friends:
  • Recipe Versions - Recipe cost to compare: See the costs of the different versions of the recipe
  • Recipe Builder - Ingredient dropdowns now organize inventories for groups, with country flags (for fermentables) and inventory tags: Keep inventory for your group organized

Nice update, folks. Thanks for the continuous improvement!

I like the more refined touch to 'Brew Sessions - Brew Log Entry updated UI'. I did find one issue however with a current brew session of mine, where the "Days" are miscalculated. They range from +104 to -18343! This is messing up the ABV and Attenuation calcs.

Thank you for the note. We are fixing that date/time issue right now and it should be released shortly- stay tuned!

Hi,

In the recipe builder, when setting a goal abv or OG it does not update the amount of fermentables needed to achieve that goal. This was a really useful tool for honing recipes in the previous version. Am I now using this tool incorrectly?

Hi,

In the recipe builder, when setting a goal abv or OG it does not update the amount of fermentables needed to achieve that goal. This was a really useful tool for honing recipes in the previous version. Am I now using this tool incorrectly?

No, I just noticed the same thing when I was making those screenshots. We're fixing it right now, and it should be working well shortly. I'm really sorry for the inconvenience.

Hi,

This has been fixed and is up on beta if you want to make sure that it's working for you. The site is beta.brewersfriend.com if you want to log in and check it out. If it's fully resolved, we'll push it to the live site shortly! If you log into the beta site, make sure that when you return you go to the live site in order to save your work!

A bit off topic, but has anyone else been experiencing some wonkyness with the forums today? I keep getting server issue problems, and earlier today, there was like all older posts. I think the lastest post was October 2019. Nothing newer. Just all kinds of strange things. Anyone else?

A bit off topic, but has anyone else been experiencing some wonkyness with the forums today? I keep getting server issue problems, and earlier today, there was like all older posts. I think the lastest post was October 2019. Nothing newer. Just all kinds of strange things. Anyone else?

Sounds like you got a cached page or something. Weird.
What you MAY see is a Cloudfare check today, just ensuring that you're real and not a bot. That's a one time thing only, though and shouldn't impact any server issues or your browsing and posting on the forum.

I know yesterday arvo the site was down im guessing for these new features tonbe loaded in :confused:. Was happy to see things were back to normal this morn and noticed the little flags in the fermentables straight away.

Dont know about anyone else but my dashboard view looks like this WTo_O!
Screenshot_20200408-131312_Samsung Internet.jpg

Its all separated out down the page

I know yesterday arvo the site was down im guessing for these new features tonbe loaded in :confused:. Was happy to see things were back to normal this morn and noticed the little flags in the fermentables straight away.

Dont know about anyone else but my dashboard view looks like this WTo_O!View attachment 9426
Its all separated out down the page

What browser and device are you using there?

I brew mostly extract batches, so I use the steeping grains section quite a bite. All of my grains that were previously in my recipes as steeping grains have disappeared when I re-open them....when I try to add them back in there are no ingredients in the drop downs to choose from. I've tried this on old recipes and building a new recipe...

I brew mostly extract batches, so I use the steeping grains section quite a bite. All of my grains that were previously in my recipes as steeping grains have disappeared when I re-open them....when I try to add them back in there are no ingredients in the drop downs to choose from. I've tried this on old recipes and building a new recipe...

Let me dig into this and see what's going on.

I can see grains in your recipes- so I can't tell what is happening when you go in and out of the recipe builder. Can you send me some screenshots via a conversation? I hate to muck up any of your recipes, so if you can send me some screenshots or more information, we can get this sorted out.

My wee heavy, for example, when I view the recipe, it looks like this:
upload_2020-4-8_10-41-22.png

When I go to edit the recipe it looks like this, all of the steeping grains disappear and the catalog to re-add them is empty...
upload_2020-4-8_10-42-39.png

No, they disappear and the gravity/color adjust accordingly
upload_2020-4-8_11-0-3.png

I just checked a couple other recipes I've recently created and I see the same behavior as I mentioned with the Wee Heavy

Thanks for the screenshot and explanation- we are working on this right now and I'll keep you posted on what's going on.

Back